Thursday 24 April 2008

It's the Little Things



Little things often get overlooked and forgotten. People might be tempted to think that little things don't really count or matter, but consider this . . .

A sneeze can start an avalanche . . .

A pinprick can cause a horse to gallop in a wild frenzy . . .

All disease is spread by germs, which are invisible to the human eye . . .

It only takes a tiny hole in the bottom of a boat to sink it . . .

Water, one tiny drop at a time, can carve a hole in rock . . .



Everything is composed of molecules, which cannot be seen with the naked eye. Two molecules rubbing together can cause an atomic bomb to explode or heat a country . . .

A pen and a scrap of paper is all it takes to sign a Peace Treaty . . .



A slim gold band seals a marriage . . .

A tender kiss . . . says I love you . . .



Yes, little things do mean a lot . . .
and the best things do
come in small packages!

I finally got those rocky road bars done that had tied on my Make Me Bake challenge last week. They turned out some delicious, but then, they always do! They are having a combined Birthday Party for everyone at Young Men's and Young Women's tonight, or what's called Thursday Night Mutual Activity . . . I think these delicious bars will go down a real treat with the younguns! (Us oldies will probably enjoy them too!)



*Rocky Road Brownies*
Makes 16 (depending on how big you cut them and how greedy you are!)

These lovely bars are every body's favourite. Rich, fudgy, gooey and very moist, I've never had anyone turn one down! Another one from my Big Blue Binder . . .

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter (4 ounces)
2 cups caster sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
TOPPING:
3 TBS butter
8 ounces pure chocolate chips
1/4 cup pure chocolate chips
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans or walnuts

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan, line it with parchment paper (to ease in removal and cutting), and butter the paper. Set aside.

Put the chopped chocolate and 1/2 cup of butter into a medium sized saucepan and set over a burner on very low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until melted and thoroughly amalgamated. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing in thoroughly each time. Blend in the vanilla. Whisk together the flour and salt and then blend it into the chocolate mixture, blending only until no white streaks remain. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until dry on top but still moist. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out with moist crumbs clinging to it's surface. Cool the brownies in the pan for about 10 minutes.

While the brownies are cooling melt the butter and the 8 ounces of chocolate chips for the topping together over low heat in a small saucepan. Whisk together until smooth and keep warm.

Mix together the remaining chocolate chips, marshmallows and chopped nuts. Sprinkle them evenly over top of the brownies. Return them to the oven and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle the melted chocolate mixture evenly over top. Set aside to cool completely on top of a wire rack before removing from the pan and cutting into squares or rectangles. Enjoy!!



PS - So far the Tres Leche Cake and the Peanut Butter Picnic cake are tied on my Make Me Bake Poll so far this week. Don't forget to vote!

19 comments:

  1. The loss of a beloved pet is heartbreaking. I remember when my West Highland terrier died, he passed away on a snowy winter morning - lying half in and half out of his kennel with a light layer of snow on his white coat. I started to wail - not cry - wail. It was the strangest thing...it was gut-wrenching. I hope the best for Boudraeu Marie, what a good doggie - he deserves to be well.
    The brownies look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything turns out okay with your puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes for Boudreau today Marie.
    Those brownies look good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie I have missed lots of your entries have now out this back on to my alerts ~ Hope the Lab will be OK ~ Ally
    Life with Ally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at the face on that doggy...I hope everything turns out well for you and the dog.

    Sorry but even the yummy brownie wouldn't distract me from the dog's plight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor sweet Boudreau!! Prayers flying his his way that he will be well and greeting you each day as always, Marie! Oh, I'm so very sad to hear this...Your brownie recipe is incredible! I could go for a piece...we are having a hard week here with sad news ourselves, a sweet treat would be a nice thing. Hope we talk soon, miss you dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie - that is DISGUSTING. Another decadent blue book recipe! What's the expression? "Publish and be damned" - go on, let's have a look!

    Poor, lovely Boudreau. God will know the best thing to do. I'll go ask.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I hope all is well for the dog. He looks like a lovely dog. Those brownies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart goes out to you Marie.
    As for little things, I must say I found you linked from Simmy have have been stopping over when I need a dinner idea (Although I have several of those blue binders) and you are always an inspiration.
    And bad for the waistline but no one is twisting my arm. I came over for the devilled pork chops, which I will make tonight but now you mentioned a Tres Leche Cake and where oh where is that recipe? I have made the Peanut Butter Cake more than once to rave reviews.

    You are in my thoughts today.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.... Marie.... I wish I could reach through the computer and grab you up for a hug. I love animals, my animals especially, and I whole heartedly understand your sadness. Know we all care for you around here. I'll be thinking of you and your sweet pup.

    xo Misty

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww....Bless him.....what a sweet face... I do hope he comes out alright....

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry. We had to put our Golden Lab down 2 years ago and some evenings I still find my son crying in his room. It is hard when you love them so much.

    The brownies look wonderful. There are certainly going to be some lucky kids tonight.

    We made your greek burgers on Monday night and talked about what our spirits might look like for Family Night. It is fun to think how someone across the ocean has impacted our lives. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Marie
    Hope everything turns out okay for the dog. He looks like a real sweetie.
    Those brownies look too good. I am going to have to try them!
    Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Marie....just found my way here
    What a sweet face Boudreau has, hope the outcome is good!
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you had good news about Boudreau, he looks such a sweet dog and reminds me Dickens, a black lab I had from puppyhood who died at age 12. I can still see that sweetness he had, as well as my other dearly departed cats and other dogs. It's sure hard to lose them, but I still talk to them. Guess I'm a bit daft since I also talk tothe little lizards on my porch (I live in Florida now)! I just have to laugh at myself.

    Anyway, all the best thoughts going your way.

    Can't wait to make those brownies! Never made any like that and they look amazing! [Just put a pan of cinnamon rolls in the oven! I was making bread and used some of the dough for them. --Sucker for cinnamon.

    Btw, enjoyed reading your long post on your faith. Good for you for talking about it so openly. Your experience was touching to me. I've had my own experiences when faith was all-important.

    ReplyDelete
  17. awwww Marie :( I sincerely with all my heart hope that Boudreau will be able to be treated safely and with great success ~ the Spaniel would greatly miss his pal too you know! My hope is with him and you... the brownies look yummy :) Have a great day hon...Hugz*** Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marie I placed a comment here yesterday but on checking back for the recipe this morning noted I do not see it Grrrrr.Why? I have no idea.Take Care God Bless kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those brownies look fabu!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!