Sunday 4 November 2007

Early To Bed Early To Rise . . .



I've always been an early riser. There is something about the morning that calls to me and speaks to my heart that it is the best time of the day. It is when my mind is the sharpest and my thoughts the clearest.

My sister, brother and I were not allowed to lolly gag in bed when we were teens. If my father was up, we all had to be up. Trust me when I say, we were not always happy with that . . .

I love the early mornings when the mist is still rising above the trees over the downs that I can see in the distance from our upstairs library window. It is a scene that changes dramatically with the seasons. In the winter it is dusted in winter colours of grey and white, monochromatic, but no less beautiful than the spring, with it's awakening greens and the sea behind the hedge which assaults us with the scents and colours of a cloud of apple blossoms. Then too the summer with it's lush greens and ripening fruit, but now with the cooler and shorter autumn days , ithas turned to rich hues of amber, reds and golds . . .



In the early morning I sit here quietly and listen to the birds awakening in the brush around our little cottage, their dawn chorus ringing in my ears and making my heart feel glad. It is a cheery sound. I can almost hear them calling from tree top to treetop, from bush to bush . . . good morning glad friends, the day awaits, let us get busy and about our tasks . . . after all it is the early bird that does get the worm.

I love these early moments here in the kitchen as I move about in the solitude with only the birds and Jess for company. The kettle begins it's song on the hearth as the clock ticks on the wall, it's solitary tick tock a necessary reminder to get about my day, for time passes all too quickly.

I think today I shall make some Eggy Bread for our breakfast. I have an aching in my heart this morning for childhood days and the comfort that would bring. I think I'll stuff it though, with rich cream cheese and sweet wild blueberry preserves . . . a most delicious beginning to a promising day.



*Fruity Stuffed Eggy Bread*
Serves 4

Eggy bread, a comforting legacy of a rich childhood. French Toast, a mother's treat and good use of what was always at hand, stale bread, eggs, butter . . . A grown up twist here, with rich and eggy brioche and a lucious stuffing of rich cream cheese and deliciously sweet wild blueberry preserves . . . a little taste of home.

3 large free range organic eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 1/2 inch thick slices Brioche bread
1/2 cup soft full fat cream cheese
4 tablespoons of wild blueberry preserves*
a knob of butter
powdered vanilla sugar to dust on before serving

Beat together the eggs, vanilla and milk. Put a skillet onto the stove to warm up over a medium heat.

Spread half of the slices thickly with the cream cheese. Spread the other half with the blueberry preserves. Put them together with the cream cheese and preserves facing, pressing gently to adhere together. Dip the resulting sandwiches into the egg mixture on both sides.

Melt a large knob of butter in the warm skillet. Once it is foaming add the eggy bread sandwiches, two at a time if the skillet it large enough, leaving some space in between them. Cook until nicely browned on the one side, then carefully flip over and brown the other side. Keep warm until you have browned all four on both sides.

Place on a heated platter, dust with some powdered vanilla sugar and serve warm. Delicious!
Note* You can use any flavour of fruit preserves you like, perhaps ginger rhubarb jam or even a rich and tangy orange marmelade. For a real treat try some Lemon Curd. I just happen to love wild blueberry preserves the most of all!

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm... you've got me in the mood for French toast now, and given the hazy, quiet morning (in that special way only winter days can do) it seems just right for it...

    Your life sounds idyllic I must say - being surrounded by so much nature is a feast to the eyes and the soul as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a morning person as well - although my mornings are the busiest time of day, so I don't get to enjoy them like you! I can't wait until my life is settled enough so that I can sit and enjoy the beauty of the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very much a morning person too. Your fruity eggy bread looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only I had been able to sleep in this morning after the time change. I am every bit the morning person like my mother and probably her mother before her. I could have dropped in on you for breakfast and had some lovely French Toast with preserves and cream cheese!!!! That would have been a perfect start to a Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a morning person too. Don't quite like winter mornings when it is still dark though. :) The French toast looks yummy - will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love IT!
    YUM!
    Blueberries are my favorite. Unless there are raspberries..or...
    Anyway..That looks wonderful, Marie, and I love mornings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow first of all, I admire you for your love of the morning. I agree with you entirely on it's beauty-but for some reason I have always preferred the black of my eyelids to the mist of the morning. :) Secondly, (and I know I say this a lot...) I am totally making french toast. That IS without a doubt my favorite breakfast in the whole entire world! It also brings back childhood mem's for me, but I must admit that my home cooked french toast never looked that good! I hope I can make mine turn out as good as yours. Those are great pictures too by the way, when I make my "eggy bread" I will put a picture up, just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, this looks so delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the mornings...it is the best time, and I'm at my best myself this time of day. Although, I still can't decide which is prettier--sunrises or sunsets! ;o) Wonderful recipe, Marie. This looks just the think for lazy Sundays ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Marie your eggy bread looks wonderful infact I don't think I've ever seen an eggy bread as gorgeous looking ever, great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The delightful descriptions make me long to be there and see for myself. The stuffed bread...goodness but that looks delicious. I'll sigh first, then I'll swoon. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omgosh, this looks so good! I love your blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!