God . . . may I write a poem for Thee alone
And put it here beside Thy shining throne,
That at some golden sunrise you may find
It laying there -- I know You will not mind
That one earth-child with gratitude aflame
Should pen a humble sonnet to Thy name.
I want to thank Thee with a grateful heart
For this dear world off which I am part,
For little pools like mirrors set to catch
And hold in willing thrall my garden path.
For frosted windows . . . violet tinted snow,
And the shy way that water lilies grow.
And oh so many things -- like fire shine,
The frail half opened horns of columbine,
Glossed fruit in shining clusters on a tree,
Wind-ruffled waters . . . white caps out to sea,
A thousand miracles that speak Thy praise,
Crowding with wonder even rainy days.
~Edna Jacques, Poem . . . To God
Aunt Hatties Place, 1949
I love this poem I am sharing this morning. No surprise there, I am a believer and God is very important in my life. It's always been so. I am grateful for that because it has made my life a whole lot easier, this level of faith that I carry. All the lows, all the highs . . . everything that has touched my life from the sight of a baby's tiny fingers curled around my own, a sky painted with scarlets, azures and purples as the sun sets . . . the tiny leaves on the maple tree out back as they slowly unfurl in the spring . . . everything speaks to me of a God who cares and who knows and who just is. I have seen and felt His power working in my life in amazing and unimaginable ways and I cannot . . . will not . . . apologize for that or deny His presence. Maybe I am just one of the blessed ones, but I don't think so. I believe He loves all of His children and will make His presence know to each of us if we allow it. Even those of us in the most dire of circumstances. And maybe my circumstances haven't been dire enough, maybe I haven't been tested enough, but I hope and pray that if things ever get to be the worst of the worst for me, that I won't lose my faith. It has carried me well in life thus far.
October is the month when the brew-houses and the cider-presses are as hard at work in the north as are the wine vats in southern countries. At the time of year when the burst berries of the spindle tree are showing orange and pink in the hedges it would not be possible to walk five miles through the lanes of somerset without becoming aware that it is the cider-making season. In dim, wasp-drunken orchards, the poetical fruit . . . lies piled up in massed heaps under great trees so old that they might very well have been saplings during the spring months of the Duke of Monmouth's adventure, so leaned down do their grey trunks look and so drooping with the years of their crooked boughs. I have seen cider-presses in remote farms that must have been squeezing out the delicious juices of famous Somersetshire apples such as Trasks, Taunton Blacks, and Jack Horners, season after season since the eighteenth century. The crushing process is assisted by laying the apples on straw, and, after the last drop of brown syrup has been strained off, the residue of pulp, a cider-cake, is tossed on the ground for the cattle to nuzzle at.~Llewelyn Powys (1884-1939), from The Twelve Months, 1936
What a beautiful drive we had up the valley yesterday to Wolfville. The sun was shining and the trees were dressed in their finest autumn dress. The scarlets . . . oranges . . . cinnamons . . . yellows . . . ambers . . . there was no end to the colours on display. The fruit on the trees of the orchards we drove past were laden with ruby red apples, ripe and ready for the picking, whereas the last time I had driven through that way they were barely discernable on the boughs.
Kentville had its pumpkin people out. Every year they have a pumpkin people display, usually on a different theme and this year was no different. They were everywhere, delighting with their toothless grins and antics. I think the theme this year must have been fairy tales or some such as I saw lots of dragon and even Snow White and the Dwarfs. Such a fun thing.
We got to the Henninger's Farm Market and there were lots of children there in their little school groups with their teachers getting ice creams. It was noisy and exciting, and took me back to a day when I might have been that young and excited about a cone of ice cream . . . a very long time ago now, although ice cream still excites me.
I got my jug of apple cider, so fresh and appley. (Is that a word? Must be as my computer didn't flag it.) I also got a butternut squash and a sweet dumpling squash. Oh, and the fudge, Cindy and I each got a little pot of fudge. They have every flavour under the sun when it comes to the fudge. You can buy a little pot of samples. That way you get to try many kinds. After that we went to the Noggins Farm Market. They didn't have any cheese curds, but I did get a nice little slab of aged cheddar from the cheese farm. The last time I had it, it was soooooo creamy and delicious. I ate it all. I also got some really good looking back bacon and sliced ham.
We left there and went to Michaels (loo break, a must do at a certain age) and I got some coloured pens and a kneadable eraser. Then we went to the Pet store and I stocked up on cat food. I spent some time looking at the toys for cats, but really, they don't play a lot any more. Once in a while. Cinnamon still likes to play with pipe cleaners and they both like the catnip.
We were surprised to see the time by then. How late it was getting. We really were dawdling in all of these places and having a good boo around.
We drove back down the valley and went to the Costco outlet in Cambridge and I picked up two cases of the sugar free sparkling water for when Eileen is with me. She drinks a lot of water and I didn't want to be running to the store every day.
I might have been really naughty and bought a bag of these. Oh my goodness. These are amazing. To be doled out only in minute amounts and sparingly. They are that good. I think you could probably sit down and do a lot of damage if you had no self control. (Me at times. But I am being very good lately.) These are crunchy and sweet and nutty, with just the right amount of cinnamon flavour.
Oh, I do love cinnamon.
Then we went to our last farm market the other side of Aylesford, Nichols. That's where I picked up the bulk of my squash. I got a sweet mama, an acorn, some other orangish coloured one and a nice Candy-baker one.
Yes, there is a lot of squash in my future. Its a good thing I like it eh?
Then we headed home. By the time we fueled up the car and I got home it was about 3:30. So a long day out. But so much fun. I think Cindy and I always solve all of the world's problems while we are on these long drives. I love spending time like this together. I am so blessed to have a sister I love so much and get along with so well. Best friends for more years than I can count.
HOW TO FALL GRACEFULLY INTO AUTUMN
Treat yourself to a different variety of apple. Its true when they say that an apple a day does keep the doctor away, and research has proven this to have some basis in fact. Now when all of the apples are ripening is the time to try something new. Cindy and I fell in love with the red-fleshed sweet/tart apples a few years back. There are so many varieties out there, and they are coming up with newer ones all the time. It's the perfect time to bite into a new-to-you variety.
Pick up some paperwhites. Paperwhite narcissus bulbs easily grow indoors, whether in a container with pebbles and water or potted in soil. You can buy these spring flowering bulbs now for forcing indoors as fall fades into winter. Paperwhites typically take three to six weeks to bloom, so if you plan and plant accordingly, you can have delicate greens and fresh white flowers to sweeten the winter holidays.
Act like a Squirrel. Gather acorns and freeze them for a week to make sure you've eliminated any lingering stowaways. Then, using fingernail polish, paint the bottom of the portion of the acorn. Frosted bronzes or coppery enamels are really nice, but any colour can add a tint of magic to a bowl on a table top. Leave the caps natural. Spray with a clear coat of acrylic to preserve them from year to year. Crazy and whimsical joy-makers.
Mini pumpkins contain their own bit of Autumn magic. (Think Cinderella's carriage.) A few of these on display will sweeten the season on the mantle for quite a while. If you can mix the orange with a few white ones (baby boo) even better and more magical.
Set the table. Make your bed. Change out your summery bed and table linens with something really autumnal. The same goes for throw pillows that can instantly add a tweak of seasonal delight.
Fire up your candles. Now that the nights are drawing in and its getting dark earlier and light later, it's the time for light, clean-burning candles. They add a flicker of romance and a touch of warmth. I love autumnal scents like spicy apple and pumpkin. I even have some which smell like woodsmoke and burning leaves. Simply wonderful.
Make a simmer pot. Transition from summer to fall with a simple simmer pot to freshen indoor air and add humidity to your home environment. Now that summer's heat doesn't discourage us from firing up the stove, but cooler weather encourages us to close up windows, a simmer pot can help to keep indoor air smelling fresh and lively rather than stale. Here's a good recipe. To a pan of water add one sliced fresh lemon, a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, a tablespoon of black peppercorns, and a splash of vanilla. Bring it to a simmer and let it release it's wonderful fragrance for 10 or 15 minutes. (Don't forget that its simmering away though, you won't want it to simmer dry.)
Go back to school. It's a great time of year to learn something new. Take a new exercise class, or a painting class, etc.
Haul out your afghans, blankets and throws. Drape them over sofa and chair. Textile layers add warmth, texture and cozy.
I'll be picking up Eileen later this morning for our weekend sleepover. She will be bringing her suitcase of what she needs for the recovery time here after her operation and an overnight bag for the hospital. It's also my church's bi-annual conference weekend, so I am encouraged by that. I'll pick Eileen up at 11 and then take her to the grocery store. She always likes to go to the grocery store to get snacks. Then I have the first session at 1. I am taking her out to a late lunch/early supper of burgers at 3. We'll go to that place we went to before that had such fantastic burgers. Then we will watch the second session. She usually does her diamond art while we are watching, and she loves the Tabernacle choir as much as I do. There is a singer in the choir who looks like like Ned Flanders from the Simpsons. Every time they sing we play find Ned, and whoever finds/sees him first gets a small treat. Its fun.
After that there will be just enough time to watch a short film or some such. Something upbeat I think. I am going to cook the back bacon for her in the morning. And she will have to get things ready to go as her dad will be picking her up at 1. Then I won't see her again until all is said and done.
I'm scared for her and trying to be upbeat and positive. She is such a brave girl. I wish I could be with her, but I can be with her after and that is a blessing. Were I still in the U.K. I would not be here at all.
Another silver lining to what happened. God's timing is perfect.
And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . .
☾ ° ★° * 。
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Sunshine days are
easy for everyone
but weathering the heavy rain
reveals who is genuinely
invested in your story.
In The English Kitchen this morning, Creamy Lemon Rice Pudding. This is quite simply amazing. Rich and cream, using only a few simple ingredients. Fall in love . . .
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Its a sunny one here, but is supposed to cool down a lot. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!
═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════
And I do too!
Enjoy you weekend:). Thinking of Eileen for Monday:) Glad you had a great day with your sister,
ReplyDeleteMorning, Marie. You and Cindy had a lovely day out yesterday. Reading your post I almost felt I was with you. Thanks for your good advice on how to usher in Autumn, my favourite season. I’ll be praying for Eileen. You’ll be anxious for her to be safely back in your care. Enjoy your weekend together. Love and hugs, Elaine
ReplyDelete