Monday, 27 July 2026

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




Weekends with Eileen. I really enjoy spending weekends with my sweet daughter.  We don't really do anything really special. We just hang out, do some cooking, eat good food, watch a couple of good movies, do her laundry and just basically enjoy each others company. We laugh a lot. Its fun. We are building good memories. Hopefully memories that will warm her heart long after I am gone.

She said last night that she is enjoying having her own apartment. That made me happy. I really was hoping that she would feel happy and settled there. She walks down to Tim Hortons and back every day, for the most part. That makes me happy also because she is getting much needed exercise. Its all good.


 

An old, old picture of my sister and me.
I am pushing her around in my doll carriage
with my favorite books piled on top of her.
She is asleep. I was probably six and she three.

Sunday dinners with my sister, father, Dan, Eileen.  I enjoy these family times together. I enjoy our Wednesday night dinners as well.  I just enjoy spending time with my sister. Running into her at the grocery store, impromptu trips together to farm markets, etc. She is my best friend. I was sitting thinking about how much she means to me one day and it came to me that if she were not here I would not want to be here either. She is the single greatest gift my parents ever gave to me. I cherish her and love her very much.

This is how our mother felt about her sister Freda. I know now how very devastated she must have felt when Freda passed away. I always knew it made her sad, but I know the depth of that sorrow now. Because I know that is how I would feel if anything ever happened to Cindy. She has been my best friend for almost all of my life. There have been many times when she has been my only friend.


 

The days have been getting a bit shorter and I have been enjoying watching the sun set most days. I love a good sunset. I love a sunrise also. Aren't we all so very blessed to have one of each of those to enjoy every day!


 

I am ever grateful for my faith in God and Jesus Christ. I know that not everyone is a person of faith, but, for myself, I cannot remember a day in my life where my belief in their presence was not real. They have always been an important part of my life. My faith in them has helped to carry me through many deep valleys. I would not want to be without it. My faith  . . . 

It is everything to me.






I really enjoy my hummingbird feeder. They are busy chasing each other away these days. It is fun to watch them. The cats enjoy watching them also. They are great entertainment.


 

Nutmeg and Cinnamon
about 8 weeks old

I love my two little fur-babies. It's been almost six years since they came to live with me. They were just two little balls of fluff when they first arrived. They already had personalities that were clearly different from each other. Nutmeg has always been a bumbling bundle of energy, and she, Cinnamon, has always been sweet and a bit more laid back.



Cinnamon and Nutmeg
Inspecting my birthday pressies
a few years ago.

They are five years old now.

They have their arguments as all siblings do. Nutmeg can get a bit aggressive at times when it comes to play and she doesn't like it, but at the end of the day they love each other. He is probably twice the size of her, if not more. It is very hard to pick him up, he is so big and heavy. He is the size of a small dog. She is much more delicate, although you would not know it to look at this picture.




I am so grateful for my wee little home. It is an extra special blessing in my life. A real gift from God. It keeps me dry, warm, and comfortable, providing safe shelter for both myself and anyone else in my family who needs it. 

I am blessed.


 


As we move into these last few days of July, 2026, I am overcome with gratitude for all that I have present in my life. For home, family, friends, faith . . . for health. I have my aches and pains but aside from those I am fairly healthy. I have enough. Enough of everything I need and then some . . . enough to share with those who need help. Yes, I am blessed . . . 

A thought to carry with you . . . 

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*With freedom, books, 
flowers, and the moon,
who could not be happy?
~Oscar Wilde


Chuckwagon Beef Pasta Skillet


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Chuckwagon Beef & Pasta Skillet.  I made this for Eileen at the weekend. It came out really delicious. I divided it into single serving packages and froze it for her to take home. I had not been able to find wagon wheel pasta as the recipe called for, but I did find something which worked just as well. Simple and easy to make, economical and delicious. Everything cooks in the one skillet. Pasta, beef, sauce, etc.


I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with goodness. Be happy. Be blessed. Be safe. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   

2 comments:

  1. You had a lovely weekend with Eileen, so good to hear she enjoys her apartment,. Probably smoke heading back to our area today, quite a haze out there. I've been busy watering my pots of veggies and hosta early this morning. Enjoy those furballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Monday Marie. I am so happy to hear Eileen likes her new place, she has your ‘positive’ gene.That’s a great old photo of you and Cindy, so sweet. Lots of happy memories. It’s going to be a good last of July, enjoy. Cheers, Virginia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!