Tuesday, 21 July 2026

A Day Book . . .

 


FOR TODAY, July 21st, 2026


OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...


This is a picture I took from my spot on the sofa the other night as the sun was going down behind the trees across the way. Today promises to be quite a bit warmer than yesterday. Sunny and warm. Rain is expected tomorrow. I welcome it as we need it. 

I AM THINKING ...

 

How truly grateful I am for my little home. It may not be the place I envisioned ending my days in, but it was a gift from God and I am grateful for it.  It is safe and warm and brings me peace. It has also helped me to bless other members of my family from time to time. It is a place of comfort and a harbor for my soul. My little piece of Holy Ground.


I AM ALSO THINKING ...
I went for a drive last evening with my sister down to Bridgetown. We had some brown bread reserved at the farm market there. What a lovely drive it was. I have never spent a lot of time in Bridgetown. It's a pretty little town full of lots of big old Victorian houses. I really enjoyed this short jaunt with Cindy. It was just nice to be together.


 

I AM GRATEFUL FOR ...

Quiet places. The quiet life. 



I AM ALSO GRATEFUL FOR ...

The wisdom of others and their ability to share it.


Any Fruit Hawaiian Danish


IN THE KITCHEN ...

Any Fruit Hawaiian Danish. Quick, easy delicious. A recipe that goes together in minutes using King's Hawaiian Rolls for a simple Danish-like pastry with a cream cheese and fruit filling. Super simple. Super quick. Delicious.



ON MY "TO COOK" LIST ...

This Chuckwagon Beef Pasta looks fabulous. From the Washington State Beef Commission. And I am not even a person who enjoys ground meat mixed in other things. Maybe i will make this when Eileen comes next weekend. 



THIS I BELIEVE ...

It does us no good to hang onto the past. It is nothing more than an extra burden to carry.


 

SOMETHING THAT IS NICE ...

The art of Buckley Moss. I have always loved it.




SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS NICE ...

Trees. I love trees. They are each quite unique. Like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike.


I AM WANTING TO CREATE ...


 

Paper foxes  . . . 


 

Paper moons  . . . 


 

Paper houses  . . . 


 

An egg carton turtle . . . 


 

Egg carton gnomes  . . . 


SOMETHING I ENJOY ...

 

Fresh Berries  . . . 


SOMETHING ELSE THAT I ENJOY ...

 

Grumpy cat  . . . 

I AM READING ...



MISS ELIZA'S ENGLISH KITCHEN, by Annabel Abbs

The brilliant real-life story of Eliza Acton and her assistant as they revolutionized British cooking and cookbooks around the world. 

Before Mrs. Beeton and well before Julia Child, there was Eliza Acton, who changed the course of cookery writing forever. England 1837. Victorian London is awash with exciting new ingredients from spices to exotic fruits, but Eliza Acton has no desire to spend her days in the kitchen. Determined to be a poet and shamed by the suggestion she write a cookery book instead, she at first refuses to even consider the task. But then her father is forced to flee the country for bankruptcy, shaming the family while leaving them in genteel poverty. 

As a woman, Eliza has few options, so she methodically collects recipes while teaching herself the mysteries of the kitchen. And to her surprise, she discovers she is not only talented at cooking—she loves it. To assist her, she hires seventeen-year-old Ann Kirby, the impoverished daughter of a war-injured father and a mother losing her grip on reality. 

Under Eliza’s tutelage, Ann learns about poetry, cookery, and love, while unravelling a mystery in her mistress’s past. Through the art of food, Eliza and Ann develop an unusual friendship and break the mold of traditional cookbooks by adding elegant descriptions and ingredient lists, that are still used today. 

Told in alternate voices, this is an amazing novel of female friendship, the ensuring struggle for freedom, the quiet joy of cookery, and the place of food in creativity all while bringing Eliza Acton out of the archives and back into the public eye.

How could I resist this?


THINGS THAT CATCH MY FANCY ...

 


Vintage fashion plates  . . . 





 

Stone Angels  . . . 


 

Moss covered steps  . . . 


 

The ballet  . . . 


 

Old black and white photographs  . . . 


MAKES ME SMILE ...


 



Dogs  . . . 

SOMETHING TO WATCH ...




Project Hail Mary on Prime  . . . 

A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Great things are done
by a series of
small things brought together.
~Vincent Van Gough

And that is my daybook for this week!  Thanks always for being here!


  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 



✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•. ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 


Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   

3 comments:

  1. ‘Take time to enjoy the small blessings in life’…words to live by, thank you Marie. How lovely you had that drive with Cindy, priceless! I am fortunate enough to have the same relationship with my sister. Counting my blessings today along with you, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia. There are worse ways to live than counting your blessings! How wonderful that you have a sister you are also close to! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Some really cute posters here today...loved the ones of the dogs noses...so true of how they are!! I so wish we could have a dog again but that part of life has passed now. FINALLY, after a horrid 4 days of continual noise upstairs, we were allowed to sleep last night and so grateful as we have dentist work to be done soon today!! But still really tired...perhaps we never can catch up on lost sleep. So nice hearing of your little trip with your sister...you are indeed fortunate to have a sister to so so many things with!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!