Friday 25 November 2022

Friday ponderings . . .

 

 
(source


I spent almost all of yesterday wishing that it was Thanksgiving in Canada again.  Looking at everyone's decorated tables and delicious meals online had me longing for all the feels and tastes of one of my favorite holidays of the year.  I watched a little bit of Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on the television and then I watched the Portugal Ghana game of the World Cup. Today it is England against America. Oh, I know there are other games being played, but these are the ones I am interested in.  

Funny that because I am normally not a sporty type of person.  I don't ordinarily watch sports on the television unless it is figure skating, but I do enjoy the World Cup.


 


I thought about beginning my Christmas cards, or starting wrapping presents, but I couldn't get enthused enough to do that. I know I will have to one day, but yesterday was not the day.  I vacuumed and washed the floors and then sat in the chair for a while watching them empty Mr. McGregor's home. It made me sad watching it. They had been doing it for three days. They were there the morning after he passed and have been there every day since. It was sad watching them carry out all of his treasures and either consign them to the boots of their cars or tipped into the bed and trailer of this huge truck.  I expect they are trying to clear the house by the end of the month so that they don't have to pay another month's rent. But it is a sad feeling watching the physical vestiges of someone's life being cleared away.

It makes you wonder about your own.  What will be deemed worthy to keep and pass on at the end of it and what will get tipped. The things which mean a lot to us are often meaningless to others.  At the end our legacy is really more about how we made other people feel and what they hold in their hearts than what they can hold in their hands.

I hope that I have left things in people's hearts.



My sister stopped by on her way home from work. She had some plastic containers for me and some of these baked donuts she had made from a baked donut mix that President's Choice has recently been selling.  They're okay, but nothing to write home about. She agrees. She didn't even bother to ice them; they were that lackluster. She would not buy the mix again and has saved me the trouble and expense of doing so myself!

I did bake some cookies and so was able to give her some to take home for them and Dad to enjoy. There is jam in them, which is something we all enjoy in cookies and cakes.  I dare say they will go down a real treat.

 

I have always enjoyed holiday baking.  Baking the cookies and cakes and tarts that make the holiday season so special.  There is not really much call for them these days in my home . . .  not like when the children were growing up. I often started my baking back in October then, wrapping and freezing things ahead of time. We always had lots of family around over the holidays, and with five children, none of it ever went to waste. Plus, I used to give baking as gifts to friends. There is not much call for any of that these days. If Anthony comes over with the family, I may bake a few things for then, but if they come, they will only be here for a few days, as Anne's sister and her family are planning on coming there for the holidays also.

When we were children, my mother didn't do a lot of baking.  She didn't bake anything until just the few days before Christmas and then it was always Date Squares, her feather squares and perhaps a War Cake, maybe some shortbread cookies.  She never really iced the cookies. We did not mind.  The different shapes were enough to delight us.




 


If there is one thing that I really do not like about this time of year, it is the tradition of Black Friday.  Everywhere you look, it is Black Friday. Black Friday this and Black Friday that and it all starts a good week or two before Black Friday.  I have read that it is all a bit of trickery on the part of the retail industry to the consumer as well.  That there really isn't much of a sale in reality.  Prices are inflated ahead of time and then reduced to what they normally would be asking anyways.  A bit of a cheat and a lie I suppose. A celebration of corporate and consumer greed.  I really don't like it at all.  It especially leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think of all the people in the world who are struggling just to survive. 

That's why I love my church's "Light the World" program which comes into action at this time of year. It is an invitation for all to light the world by transforming the Christmas season into a season of service and giving. A worldwide movement to change hearts and touch lives in much the same manner as the Savior did. Feed the hungry, comfort the lonely, visit the sick and afflicted, showing kindness to all.

"Giving machines" rather than vending machines have also been places in eight US and two international locations as well, providing people with a way to make it easy to support global charities that provide those in need with items such as clothing, eyeglasses, medicine, hygiene supplies, wheelchairs, sporting equipment, and even livestock.  What is nice about them is 100% of the gift contributed goes towards the charities represented by the Giving machines and the church covers all of the credit card fees.

I think it's a great idea and I wish there were more of them about. You can watch a video about them here.     I think that is what the Christmas season is really about.  Serving those who really need the help of others.

There are many ways to do that, to share your light with the world.  It can begin in your very own community.



 


My neighbor Sheila has gotten a new "dogs for senior's" dog. It is an organization here in Nova Scotia which rehomes the dogs of Seniors who have dogs and find that they are no longer able to care for their dogs. All that is required is that you feed and care for the animal, give them love. The organization takes care of all their Vet needs.  This is a fabulous program which benefits both the animals and the Senior people who receive them. I know Sheila is just made up with her new little doggie and the doggie now has a caring and loving home where it will be truly appreciated. I can't wait to meet him.




Speaking of animals needing attention, I have one right here who is demanding my attention right now, so I better go give it to him!  My day is about to begin in earnest!

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Kindness comes in many forms,
but always from the heart.•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today . . .  Raspberry Crumble Cookies.  Delicious!


Have a beautiful day!  Be happy. Be safe. Be loved.  Be kind.  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       


4 comments:

  1. I get so tired of Black Friday ads, another American thing that has seeped into Canada. Net will be Boxing Day and that is just as bad. It is a dull and dreary day, rain happened overnight and washed away a lot of the snow. Any luck with the gumdrops? Hardly any holiday baking goes on at our house anymore, it would only mean I would have to eat it all, an I definitely don't need that. Enjoy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as we age, things change whether we want it or not...and not having either the energy or the inclination to do what we used to do, seems a part of that. I am struggling hugely myself...of course, being a caregiver consumes most of my time and energy too...though I am just grateful for those days he is able to do more than other days. I feel your blog has been a comfort and most enjoyable with lots of ideas shared...you have made an impact that way, Marie...and I am sure you do make a difference in your location as well.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending condolences on the passing of Mr. McGregor, it’s always sad to see a home emptied for that reason. I suppose it means someone new will move in and that’s exciting for that person.
    Life is funny. I’m with you on this Black Friday business, too much pushy ‘retail’ marketing these days. Oh well, we can just focus on our blessings and enjoy the ‘little’ things….and bake! Have a great weekend. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Light The World and Giving Machine programs sound like wonderful ministries.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!