Tuesday 28 September 2021

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

 
 
FOR TODAY, September 28th 2021

Outside my window ...
The sun is completely up. I am very late getting started this morning. It is supposed to rain today. You got to take the rain with the sun, and we sure get lots of fine days, so I am not complaining. 

I am thinking ...
Tomorrow our Doug and his wife and father in law travel to Saint John.  I am praying for a safe journey, a safe operation on Thursday, and a safe journey home.  How very blessed we are to live in an age when such miraculous options are available to us.

I am looking forward to ...
Taking the kitties to the Vet tomorrow for their first check up and shots, etc. It will be interesting to see how they travel in the car. Right now they are curled up on a chair next to me sleeping.

I am thankful for ...
Grace. The gift of transformation. An endowment of strength, divine assistance, an enabling power. The elevating of souls and the healing of hearts. Grace is His favor, and His kindness and the tenderness with which He extends His mercies. It is His touch on our heart and how He reflects that within our life. Grace is always there, but we notice it most in our weakness. In our brokenness. Receiving grace isn't an event, its a story.  It is a gift of radical generosity.

In the kitchen ... 

I baked Mary Berry's Swiss Roll Cake. This is a deliciously simple fat-free sponge.  I do a complete tutorial. You can be sure of success here.

On my "To Cook" list ... 



I Heart Eating.  Gingerbread Pudding Cake. Looks scrumptious! 


One of my favorite things ... 


Autumn  . . .  it is my favorite season of the year. 

I am wanting to create ... 


White Wood and Linen.  A handstitched Needle Case. 




Amidorable Crochet.  Cute! 



 

All about sewing needles.  


 

Love this  . . . Monie Ebner on Ravelry. Not free, but not expensive either.  

 
 

I adore these infinity scarves. Love the colours.  Elizabeth Brassard on Ravelry.  A free pattern. Oh to be able to knit like that.

I am reading ... 



Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan 

There is a most unusual woman living in Gap Creek. Julie Harmon works hard, "hard as a man" they say, so hard that at times she's not sure she can stop. People depend on her. They need her to slaughter the hogs and nurse the dying. People are weak, and there is so much to do. 


She is just a teenager when her little brother dies in her arms. That same year she marries Hank and moves down into the valley where fire and visions visit themselves on her and where con men and drunks come calling. 

 Julie and Hank discover that the modern world is complex, grinding ever on without pause or concern for their hard work. To survive, they must find out whether love can keep chaos and madness at bay. With Julie, Robert Morgan has brought to life one of the most memorable women in modern American literature with the same skill that led the Boston Book Review to say that he writes "with an authority usually associated with the great novelists of the last century." 

 In this novel, Morgan returns to the vivid world of the Appalachian high country to follow Julie and Hank in their new life on Gap Creek and their efforts to make sense of the world in the last years of the nineteenth century. Scratching out a life for themselves, always at risk of losing it all, Julie and Hank don't know what to fear most--the floods or the flesh-and-blood grifters who insinuate themselves into their new lives. 

 Their struggles with nature, with work, with the changing century, and with the disappointments and triumphs of marriage make this a powerful follow-up to Morgan's acclaimed novel, The Truest Pleasure. 

Its really good! I am really enjoying this book.  First one I have enjoyed this much in a long while.   This is so good, I have already ordered volume two. I love a really good story that continues! This is the closest I have come to finishing a book/novel in a very long time. 

Dreaming about ... 
Today's Source 

 

Sunny breakfast nooks  . . . 

 

A place to watch the sun go down  . . . 


 

Pretty maids all in a row  . . . 

 

An ivy covered palace . . . 

 

Wildflowers on tweed  . . . 

Something to watch ... 


The Starling on Netflix.  I thoroughly enjoyed this. 

Makes me smile ... 

 
The art of Betsy Clark  . . . 

Corners of my kingdom ... 

  

There used to be a train called the Day Liner which went all up and down the Valley into and out of Halifax several times a day.  Miss those days. This is Kingston, the next village up from where I live.  It was a quick and convenient way to get into the city.

A thought to carry with you ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*The most wasted of days
is one without laughter.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。


And that's my daybook for this week  . . .  
  

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆   
 

  




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░  
 

 
  

 Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   





14 comments:

  1. Hoping things go well for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew there were so many different types of needles I usually use the same one for everything. It's the one with the biggest eye I can find. Easier to thread it that way/ Ha !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time threading needles also! Old eyes are no fun! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. That breakfast nook! That cottage! That sunset! 💕
    Prayers for Doug and family. Grace to all this Tuesday in September.🙏🏼
    xo, V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that things go well with Doug on Thursday. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine! I know Doug also appreciates your prayers Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~

    Keeping Doug in my prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

    Grace. I have been blessed with so many tender mercies...if we only knew how much grace we receive...every single day.

    so many beautiful finds, I especially love the ivy covered cottage...be still my heart!

    Have a good Wednesday! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb. Grace and tender mercies abound. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hi, Marie! It's been a while since I've been able to catch up...my apologies for that. And, honestly, after my Instagram account was hacked & hijacked...well... I needed a digital detox and time offline to "recover"... LOL! I'm trying to figure out a new way, withouth social media. A newsletter is an option, and so far I've had some positive response. Drop me an email if you'd like to receive a newsletter. Only 1-3 x per quarters, so no worries about it being too much--just a way to share a little life stuff, and show showcase my pattern work. Anyway...!!! Love all the yarn-y goodness and other beauty in this post... and not least the sweet treats! I loved Betsy Clark anything as a young girl--that really takes me back. And how CUTE are your kittens! I'm so very glad you have a pair of fur-babies to love! ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll try to email you soon Tracy! Love you! Xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!