Thursday 6 August 2009

Thursday Ponderings . . .



"You are given a chance to return to any previous point in your life and change a decision you made, but you will lose everything that has happened to you since then. Is there a time you would return to? If so, would you like to retain the memory of the life you are giving up even though you could never recapture it?"

Billy of the blog, What I Learned Today, posed this question the other morning. I like Billy's blog. He always has something on it that makes you think and his writing is brilliant. I have been pondering this question all week, and thinking about what my answer might be . . .



First I thought about all the mistakes I have made in my life. Huge errors, errors of judgement, poor choices . . . choices that once made sent me down a pathway to a much different place in life than I ever thought about or wanted to go . . .

I often sit in church and watch some of the families as I listen to the talks and I think about how different my life could have been, had I made the right decision all those years ago to join the church then. I was 18 and the missionaries had been around our neighbourhood. They had given my dad a Book of Mormon, which he hadn't really wanted, but was too polite to refuse. I wanted it. I was very curious about this religion. I had always been mad about the Osmonds, and I knew that they were Mormons. It intrigued me. It's message spoke to my heart, but I did nothing about it . . . there were other things in my life that were more important at the time, like my friends, and my social life, and getting married . . .



I did join the church eventually, no surprise there, but much, much later in life. When I finally was able to make the right decision and follow the song of my heart, it was a decision that ultimately cost me my family and my home . . . but . . . when God speaks to you personally, you cannot ignore His voice. Well, maybe you can, but it's at your peril . . . Simply said, it was the right thing to do, and I have no doubt about that whatsoever. There is no person here on earth that has the right to tell you what or how to believe, or to make you choose between doing what you know to be right, and keeping what you hold to be dear . . . that is not love . . . that is unrighteous dominion . . .

Sometimes in life, the right thing to do is often the hardest thing to do, and decisions that should be easy to make, are very difficult. Sometimes the consequences of doing the right thing can appear at first to be horribly painful, and you find yourself questioning, and sometimes doubting the wisdom of your ways . . . but, in the end, you listen to that still small voice and you move forward in faith, and hope for the best. When you hold fast to the rod, the blessings come eventually. First faith, and then . . . the miracle . . . always.



But still sometimes, I sit in church and I watch the families around me . . . the moms and the dads . . . the children . . . all together, loving and living a Gospel centred life together . . . and I think about what might have been, had I only listened to the song of my heart all those years ago. Would I be married to a strong priesthood holder, with my children gathered around me as a hen gathers her chicks? Would we be a single solitary, happy family . . . sealed together in the promise of the Gospel and eternity? Would that joy that I see measured in the faces of those lovely families be mine? Can you miss what you've never had??? My heart aches at those times . . . for what could have been, and for the family that I have that is so far away . . . both physically and spiritually . . . and I cling to my Todd's hand a little tighter, thinking about what if, what if . . .



And then I remind myself, that I am who I am, because of where I've been and what I've done, and that whilst I can only see the tangled threads on the bottom of this canvas that I call life which I have woven . . . there is someone much wiser than I who sees the top and who knows how the story ends. I remind myself that I have a loving Heavenly Father who has promised me all the blessings of His Kingdom, and a loving Saviour who has helped to carry me through the fire, and shown me the way to go . . . both of them loving me so very much that I know as long as I keep my focus on them, they will never let me down, or turn their backs on me. And that for, whatever reason, this is the path I have been directed to take and that one day all my questions will be answered and I will be able to see that it was the perfect way for me, just so long as I hold to the rod . . .



And so Billy . . . as painful as this road of mine has been from time to time, I see that it has also been glorious and full of joy and is full of joy still . . . so no, I would not change a thing, not an instant. I am where I always wanted to be, and who I always wanted to be . . .

It is my birthday next week, and I am going to be hosting a special giveaway in honor of it! I should have the details of it sorted out by tommorrow, so make sure you pop in to see what I have up my sleeve. I promise you, it will be worth it!

I made this delicious chicken dish the other night. The chicken was meltingly tender and the sauce so richly delicious that I am sitting here at 6 in the morning thinking about it still . . .



*Chicken with Rosemary, Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Olives*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is lovely. Simple to make and full of beautiful flavours . . . sweet tomatoes, white wine, tangy olives and meaty mushrooms. Delicious.

8 chicken thighs
salt and black pepper to taste
1 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 large portobello mushroom, sliced
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in half
1 14-oz tin of chopped tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary



Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (with a lid) over medium high heat. Season the chicken thighs well with salt and black pepper. Brown them slowly in the hot oil, turning, until they are browned all over. Remove to a plate. Pour off most of the fat in the pan, leaving just a bit. Add the onion to the pan, and cook stirring until softened and fragrant, without browning. Add the sliced mushroom. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushroom is browned and all the juices have evaporated. Stir in the chicken broth and the white wine. Bring to the boil and reduce until about half the consistency. Add the tomatoes, olives and 1 tsp of the chopped rosemary. Return the chicken to the pan. Bring to the boil again, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 34 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, and the sauce is of a nice consistency. Sprinkle with the remaining rosemary and serve. Rice or couscous go very well with this.



If, after that, you are in the mood for dessert, why not pop on over to The English Kitchen, to see what I cooked up next!


11 comments:

  1. We can never go back but we can start fresh each morning. Have a great Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post today, Marie... And I'm with you on the going back...no thank, I'll not go back. Sure in hindsight I see how I could have done something differently way back when. But I know better now and am growing. I'm more interested in doing my very best now, and tomorrow if I can. :o) Excellent chicken recipe today...much make note of this one. Hope you are having a lovely week, dear friend. LOVE YOU HEAPS!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. the American Girl6 August 2009 at 15:40

    Hi Marie - It's the American Girl again(my first time signing as this and I think I will keep it so you know it's me!) I just want to say that your posts never cease to inspire me. I read your blog everyday and even print some of your recipes. As a matter of fact, you are the reason I learned about Dorie Greenspan (loved her banana cake recipe). I am in my late 20's and trying to figure out who I am and what I am doing in this world. I was praying for a woman of God to mentor me for a while...a couple of months ago I woke up and realized that I have many positive female mentors!!! Blogs such as yours have inspired me to be the BEST I can be for God. They prompt me to think about life in a new way. So, for that I say thank you for your positivity. Although I am uncertain of my future (who is?), I KNOW that God has surrounded me with all of these "mentors" for a reason. It wasn't what I expected...but God DID answer my prayer. And for that, I am humbled and grateful beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. American Girl, many thanks for your lovely comments!! I only wish that when I had been in my late 20's I had had half the wisdom that you seem to possess. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, this is such a thought-provoking question! I do the same thing as you while sitting in church! I love my family, my children, and my hubby, but he is completely inactive, though he supports me and the children in going and doesn't have a bad thing to say about anything church related. But I look at the other complete families there and wonder about the same question! If I could change something, I think I wouldn't have married my first hubby. Though he did go to church, he was just a horrible person. And now my 2nd hubby doesn't go to church but is so wonderful! If only we realised how much the choices we make when young effect the rest of our lives! But I am happy and very strong, just like you said:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi marie! we are back from our vacation and i wanted to say hello. i'm trying to catch up in blog world:) hope you have been doing well the past week or so. our cruise was wonderful!

    great post-it must be hard to imagine the "what ifs" sometimes. but just know you did the best you could when you could do it. and you're right, you wouldn't be who you are today without your experiences, and that person you are today is WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your post today very much...it was thoughtful and thought provoking...

    I would never go back and re-do either...I am who I am because of where I have been...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, this post has really touched me. I can only imagine what you have been through and how difficult it has been to be separated from your kids.

    In spite of it all, you are a very upbeat and positive writer and I know your thoughts come from your heart. The Gospel really is the only haven through the trials of this life. Things will work out eternally exactly as they should. I am so thankful that you have Todd and this wonderful and peace-filled life with him. And you are right...faith always precedes the miracles of our lives. There should always be hope. The refiner's fire has made you a most beautiful person. Thank you for your testimony, it strengthens many!

    Love you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things DO happen for a reason, but I think I *would* go back to what I know was a turning point and take the other fork in the road.

    The chicken looks heavenly, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Marie,
    I don't know how I missed this entry the first time around (perhaps I was out of town) but this morning GOD brought me straight to it. I awoke this morning after a fitful night filled with nightmares...I too have lost a big part of my family due to my Christian choices. Just when I think I have put that behind me it comes sneaking around a corner and takes me unaware. Last night was filled with dreams of these 'lost' family members and all the pain associated with losing them. They have chosen to cut me out of their lives and it still pains me greatly. Reading this entry today has reminded me to keep my eye on GOD and he will take care of the rest. Thank you for sharing yourself so openly!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!