Sunday 4 May 2008

Simple Treasures . . .



Memories are like little treasures we hold in our heart . . . happy times, sad times, special moments . . . sometimes it takes only the simplest of things to remind us of these . . . an old song, a fading photograph, a face glimpsed in a crowd . . . a child's toy . . .

H. Mortimer Batten once told of the beautiful way by which the North American Red Indian brings fond recollections to mind:

"When he is superlatively happy, when he is living through a moment which he wishes to be able to recall for all time, he takes a sweet-smelling root, or a herb, crushes it in his hands, and inhales it's scent, til it is indelibly stamped upon his memory as part of that phase of his life. Thus, in the wallet of an Indian you will find all manner of oddments . . . a dried flower or a root with a strange aroma . . . and in moments of sadness of idleness, he is able with their aid, to recall the happiest incidents of his life."

I'm a bit like that with my scriptures. They are crammed full of special items that would mean nothing at all to anyone else who picked them up, but to me . . . they are special remembrances. A pansy that a long lost friend gave me, papery and fragile, tucked between the pages . . . the obituary of a much loved Aunt . . . photographs of my mother's garden, both in winter and in spring . . . a group photo taken of my babies when they were all small . . . pictures of my two grandsons . . . a note from a much loved friend . . . notes scribbled on an old grocery list and taken from a particularly meaningful talk we listened to in Liverpool once upon a time . . . the list goes on and on. Nothing that is of any worth to anyone else but me. These little snippets of things that have touched my heart remain within the pages of a book that means the world to me, a signal that these small and simple things also mean the world to me, and that's as it should and ever shall be . . . things of the heart are eternal.



I did a new painting yesterday afternoon. This is becoming somewhat of a Saturday tradition with me. I call it Lilac Days and it speaks to me of lazy spring afternoons when I was a child and the simples joys that were to be had in simply being able to throw off the cares and woes of winter and play with abandon in the garden, free from heavy coats, scarves and mittens . . . I'm sure we can all relate to that. Look for it in my Etsy shop or on BLOSSOM TIME CREATIONS .

The clear winner of my Make Me Bake poll this week was the French Canadian Sugar Pie. I'm really looking forward to baking it for you , a little reminder of home for me and the memories of a French Canadian grandmother who surely knew how to cook! I'll be putting up a new poll later today, so look for it soon!

This recipe I am going to share with you this morning is for my special Texan friend, A Duck In Her Pond . She writes the most beautiful stories that never cease to amaze me. I can never get enough of her words. She asked me if I had any advice for some simple and quick meals that she could prepare for her husband. This dish might be short on preparation and cooking time, but I can promise you it's not short on flavour. I probably make this one myself every couple of weeks or so. Duckie, this one's for you!



*Tasty Chicken Rarebits*
Serves 4

Simple and quick enough to prepare for a week night meal when you are short on time and starving, but elegant and smart enough for guests at the weekend, this delicious dish wins on all counts!

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
olive oil
5 ounces of strong cheddar, grated coarsely
1 rounded TBS of grainy Dijon mustard
3 TBS whole milk
150g of cherry tomatoes, on the vine (DON'T remove from the vine)


Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Lightly grease a shallow baking dish with some olive oil. Set aside.

Take your chicken breasts and slice them in half horizontally with a sharp knife. (SO that you have two thinner pieces that will cook quicker, and cutting them this way also makes them more tender for some odd reason) Lay them in the prepared baking dish in one layer.

Mix together the grated cheese, mustard, and whole milk. Mound some of this mixture on top of each piece of chicken. Scatter the tomatoes, still on the vine, around the chicken pieces in the baking dish.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the tomatoes are nice and smooshie.

Serve with steamed new potatoes and a green vegetables. The tomatoes, squashed on your plate help blend with the cheese into the tastiest sauce. Absolutely delicious! (and with only five ingredients!)

8 comments:

  1. Those chicken rarebits are delicious and we eat them regularly at home, simple delicious food and the chicken is always tender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I can't wait to fix it! :) Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Marie, those look so nice. I will definitely be making those. Memories are so fun indeed, I have many, many things that are probably just junk to someone else, but they are my treasures. Have a great day. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The visual is a feast in itself!! Oh my...looking forward to trying this out!! Thank you!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the reminder. It truly is the little things that make life wonderful. I just need to remember to pay attention.

    this is just the kind of recipe I need. It looks delicious and I not difficult or too time consuming. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the Being Mom print - if I end up having a girl someday, I will want one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially love memories of my children.... the ones past, the ones we're making today.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!