Tuesday 11 March 2008

An Apple a Day in a Most Wonderful Way



I was thrilled last week when I learned that this week's Tuesdays With Dorie challenge was going to be "Russian Grandmother's Apple Pie Cake," as chosen by Natalie of Burned Bits by Natalie .

Now, I may not know much about Russian Grandmothers, but I know enough about my own grandmothers to know that this was going to be very tasty indeed, because . . . if there's one that that Grandmothers know how to do above all else, it's how to cook!!!

My Todd is an apple pie freak. It's one of his most favouritest things in the whole wide world and I was really excited that I was going to be baking him almost one of his favouritest things. Ok, so it wasn't really a pie . . . it was a cake, but really . . . pie . . . cake . . . cake . . . pie . . . what's the difference??? Both are incredibly tasty and yummy things for the tummy tum tum, and isn't that what cooking is all about??? I do have to say though, that in our almost eight years of marriage I have not been able to turn out an apple pie as good as his mum's. Let me tell you it's not for lack of trying either!! I think the difference lies in the interpretation . . . A North American Apple Pie is not quite the same as a British Apple Pie, or at least that's my story!! (and I'm sticking to it!)

As usual I left it til the last day. (What's with that??? I seem to be leaving it til the last day each week!) Thankfully though, I was able to squeeze it in yesterday. I made the crust in the morning before I went to work, and then baked the pie/cake when I came home for lunch.

That crust was incredibly difficult to use actually. It was quite sticky and not anything like most pie crusts I have handled, but then again . . . it was a "Pie Cake." I ended up rolling out the crusts between two pieces of plastic cling film, and that made it a heck of a lot more manageable. I don't think I would ever attempt to do it otherwise.



It baked up beautifully though, and I could hardly wait to dip my fork into it when it first came out of the oven, it smelled and looked so beautiful. The recipe said to be patient and wait though, and wait we did . . . until last night. (Patience is a virtue you know.)

We tucked into it during the first episode of a double Corry night on the telly. (Perfect timing I'd say.) I did find that it was a bit drier than most of the apple pies we are used to, but then again, that could be the apples I used. (A mixture of Granny Smith and Pink Lady's) It was also not as sweet as I was expecting either, but a nice scoop of Haagen Daz Vanilla Ice cream on top along with a drizzle of Maple Syrup (why not!!!) rectified both those problems. Todd was all over it like a wet blanket. "Mmmm... " he managed to mumble between mouthfuls, "This is quite good."

Now that, folks, coming from an Apple Pie Connoisseur is a compliment indeed . . .



*Russian Grandmothers' Apple Pie-Cake*

For The Dough
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lemon
3 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

For The Apples
10 medium apples, all one kind or a mix (I like to use Fuji, Golden Delicious and Ida Reds; my grandmother probably used dry baking apples like Cordland and Rome)
Squirt of fresh lemon juice
1 cup moist, plump raisins (dark or golden)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Sugar, preferably decorating (coarse) sugar, for dusting

To Make The Dough: Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes more. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the baking powder and salt and mix just to combine. Add the lemon juice - the dough will probably curdle, but don't worry about it. Still working on low speed, slowly but steadily add 3 1/4 cups of the flour, mixing to incorporate it and scraping down the bowl as needed. The dough is meant to be soft, but if you think it looks more like a batter than a dough at this point, add the extra 1/4 cup flour. (The dough usually needs the extra flour.) When properly combined, the dough should almost clean the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it into a ball and divide it in half. Shape each half into a rectangle. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or for up to 3 days. (The dough can be wrapped airtight and frozen for up to 2 months; defrost overnight in the refrigerator.)

To Make The Apples: Peel and core the apples and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick; cut the slices in half crosswise if you want. Toss the slices in a bowl with a little lemon juice - even with the juice, the apples may turn brown, but that's fine - and add the raisins. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together, sprinkle over the apples and stir to coat evenly. Taste an apple and add more sugar, cinnamon, and/or lemon juice if you like.

Getting Ready to Bake: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Generously butter a 9x12-inch baking pan (Pyrex is good) and place it on a baking shee tlined with parchment or a silicone mat.

Remove the dough from the fridge. If it is too hard to roll and it cracks, either let it sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes or give it a few bashes with your rolling pin to get it moving. Once it's a little more malleable, you've got a few choices. You can roll it on a well-floured work surface or roll it between sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. You can even press or roll out pieces of the dough and patch them together in the pan - because of the baking powder in the dough, it will puff and self-heal under the oven's heat. Roll the dough out until it is just a little larger all around than your pan and about 1/4 inch thick - you don't want the dough to be too thin, because you really want to taste it. Transfer the dough to the pan. If the dough comes up the sides of the pan, that's fine; if it doesn't that's fine too.

Give the apples another toss in the bowl, then turn them into the pan and, using your hands, spread them evenely across the bottom.

Roll out the second piece of dough and position it over the apples. Cut the dough so you've got a 1/4 to 1/2 inch overhang and tuck the excess into the sides of the pan, as though you were making a bed. (If you don't have that much overhang, just press what you've got against the sides of the pan.)

Brush the top of the dough lightly with water and sprinkle sugar over the dough. Using a small sharp knife, cut 6 to 8 evenly spaced slits in the dough.

Bake for 65 to 80 minutes, or until the dough is a nice golden brown and the juices from the apples are bubbling up through the slits. Transfer the baking pan to a cooling rack and cool to just warm or to room temperature. You'll be tempted to taste it sooner, but I think the dough needs a little time to rest.



They say the proof is in the eating and . . . as a picture says a thousand words . . . need I say more???

PSSTT!! Drop by later on today and I'll be letting you know who won the Easter Giveaway pressies!!!

23 comments:

  1. I love this kind of pie... cake... pie... I can't get enough of them, especially when filled with sweet, gently caramelised apples. Yours looks like just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking pie-cake!! We didn't care for the crust and while reading your post I realized that it is not as sweet as the pie we normally make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is just up my street too--that perfect combo of cake and pie...yummy...This recipe is amazing, Marie! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used Granny Smith's, too, and mine wasn't too dry. I loved this recipe - I'm glad that you and your family did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You served it with Haagan Daz. Now you have earned my respect ;)
    (you always had it)btw, I directed someone over to your site for fish and chips lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! I was cursing myself for not picking up some vanilla ice cream to eat with this, but we were in the middle of a blizzard and so we ate it as is, and it was still wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful, and the maple syrup was a brilliant touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks good and I bet, the taste was even better!

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pics are wonderful. And ice cream on top, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im thinking this was just a drier pie, or maybe its just what a pie-cake should be? ;)

    It looks fantastic, I love the ice cream on top, brilliant idea. So glad you both liked it too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely picture! My hubbie's name is Todd too! and he loves apple pie. haha. Great job!
    -Clara
    http://iheartfood4thought.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great! I bet it was wonderful with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delightful! I'm a HUGE pie patron and I would eat this cake. I'll have to add it to my list of recipes to try... (my girlfriends keep nagging me to make your fairy cheesecake for them!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhh... I can imagine how delicious it must be with haagen daz ice cream.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. To make it juicer there are somethings that could be done. One let the suger and mixture sit for 20 minutes to an hour. Use apples that soften when cooked.

    I like my pie dry so this was a great recipe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm like Todd and love a good apple pie, or cake, or crumble. You name it and if it has apples in I'm sure I'll like it. The cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of serving it with ice cream and maple syrup. My only problem with ice cream is that it disappears too quickly in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so delicious! And very high praise indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh yum! It looks so delicious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks good. Love that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a classic dessert that my mom makes...and my favorite. My family is Polish, so it's fairly one and the same in E. Europe.

    My favorite part of making this with my mom was being able to "fork" the top crust and then to shake on powdered sugar when it was cooled.

    Mmmm...this makes me want to go to visit my mom & grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pie-cake looks great! I like the ice cream idea. In fact, I have some vanilla ice cream that might just have to go with some of what I have left... My husband already gives me a hard time about eating pie for breakfast. I can just imagine what he would say if I added ice cream to it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful that he really liked it. Mine was a bit dry as well but the ice cream and maple syrup should have definitely taken care of that for you. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!