Sunday 15 November 2020

Sunday ponderings . . .


Nothing down from now on, only positive.  That's my plan for moving forward anyways. I am sure there will be a few blips here and there, I'm only human after all, but you really only lose when you fall and refuse to get back up again. 

I've had a lot of time to think about things this past week and one of the things I've been thinking about it whether I will write to Todd in prison or not, or if I should just look forward and never look back.   The reality is, although we had many happy moments, the level of deceit was so great that I don't see how I can.  He has been so manipulative throughout all of these years that I believe in writing him he will see this as a weakness in me and try to use that to wangle his way in, or make me feel sorry for him or some other thing.   

So I think not.
No letter (s) from me.
He has stolen enough from me.
 
 
I've spent the last twenty years taking very good care of someone who, quite honestly, should have been taking very good care of me.  Its time now for me to start taking good care of myself. I don't believe that is a selfish thing at all.

All my life I have always prioritised the needs of others, and I don't really see that changing.  I will always be a person who cares deeply about other people, but I think from now on I need to care about myself as well, and if something or someone is demeaning or dragging me down rather than helping/supporting/nuturing me, then its time to cut it loose. 

Does that sound selfish?
I hope not because
its not meant to be in any way.



Every so often I think of something I have had to leave behind and I just have to push it out of my mind. I have had enough to grieve about without grieving things/possessions.  This is my opportunity to create and make a fresh, new clear life for myself.  A life uncluttered and unfettered by the past.  There will always be things I wish I could have brought with me into my future, but I cannot let the thoughts of having had to leave them behind drag me back into the past.  The only way to truly move forward and to gain strength is to actually leave them behind emotionally as well as physically, if that makes sense. 

I saw this saying somewhere recently, "Don't look back, you don't live there anymore." That should be my motto! 

I woke up in the middle of the night last night. I had been having a bad dream. In  my dream my mother was down in the basement of the house we used to live in when we lived in Greenwood when we were in our teens.  
 
She appeared very distressed and was saying, "They've taken everything!  They've taken everything!"  

Robbers had broken in and cleared our basement of everything.  It was empty.  There was nothing there except for my mother.  I woke myself because I didn't want to see where this dream was going, or to dwell on what had been lost/taken.  
 
Funny that, because that is 
very much my mindset this morning.  


I have awakened myself from a bad dream and I am not going to revisit it because my future is not about what I've lost.  It is about creating a new, fresh life for myself, unfettered by the negativity of the past. There are valuable things/lessons to bring forward with me of course, but there is a healthy way of doing so and that will be my priority.   

I had a lovely facetime with my friend Jo yesterday.  Remember Jo?  She was the housekeeper when I worked at the manor, or at least for the first three years I worked there. I think its pretty wonderful that we were able to create a lasting friendship in that toxic work environment that had existed there. We did have a good laugh about some of the things "Mrs. B."  And we talked about children and life and it was just a really, really good, upbeat, positive conversation.  
 
I told her how much I had always admired how she and Colin had just simply walked away from their lives in Tunbridge Wells, pulled up stakes and moved to Broadstairs and started again from scratch.  No jobs, nothing. They were able to create beautiful lives for themselves.  Very good lives.  They are now looking at doing it again.  Their daughter, husband and granddaughter are looking to moving up to the North East at some point.  That will mean all of their family lives there.  Their oldest son (a phenomenal artist) and his wife and three almost four children already live there.  Their priority is to be near their family.  I have no doubt that they will build another good life for themselves.

You can't let the fear of an unknown future
tether you in the past.
Its that simple.  


 
So, this is me looking forward.  Six more days!  Counting today. Can't wait.  I am looking forward to meeting my sister's partner Dan.  I have always felt he was a really good guy.  This is a man when asked to leave everything and move with my sister to Nova Scotia to take care of my mom didn't think twice about it.  He did it. That speaks volumes about who he is.  He helped to take very good care of my mom and he is helping to take very good care of my father. This is a very good person. 

I had wanted to watch church on Zoom from my old Ward this morning, but I never woke up in time. I was kind of disappointed in that, but oh well, it happens. Apparently they are holding church services in my Branch back here in Nova Scotia. socially distanced, etc.  I might be able to go next week, we will see. I am not sure how I would get there at the moment and I am not sure how wise it is to get lifts from people not in our "Bubble."  We will see what happens. 
 
 
I did some pencil sketches yesterday.  I thought to myself, if you cared enough about that scribbler and those pencils to bring them in you suitcase then you had better use them! Excuse the poor photos taken with my iPad.   I am missing my special erasers and my blender thingies.  But nevermind, I think I did okay regardless, and it helped to pass away some of the time. 

 
I was sort of really happy with the peapods.  It was a great exercise in composition in any case.

Not sure what I will get up to today, but I do know that at some point I will see Eileen.  Either on her way to Tim Hortons or on her way back, probably both!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

 ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Be brave enough 
to be bad at something new.
~Jon Acuff  •。★★ 。* 。 
 
 

There is nothing totally new in the kitchen today but I am sharing these lush Chocolate Raspberry Pie Bars.  Oh my goodness, as I recall these were fabulously tasty! 

Have a wonderful Sunday and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

and I do too!  
 








 



 



 

25 comments:

  1. My letters would be full on spite.Doesn't sound like me? It can be.
    Then I would feel worse..but ..
    They would.
    So personally..I would not write my husband.
    Love your sketches..
    I have not often gottenclosure in writing something ..not great.
    When I was a realtor a couple bought a home from me.. I liked the husband..the wife..I had a little feeling..usually I always hit it off with the wife better except on a few occasions..yrs later they sold w/ another realtor..I wondered why but maybe my feelings had been justified..wouldn't you know it I got an offer..I called..the agent and he called me back and said they are dining out in a resto and want you to meet them there..Oy..so I did ..dark..night..blablabla..and not a full price offer of course in that particlar peiod but a good one..She was so rude..I thought listen..I came out..I got the offer..show a bit of decorum..
    I did sell the house..I think..lol so far back and as you can see the experience stayed with me..They moved to Ottawa and she became an agent.She wrote to me to tel me..included her business cards and asked for referrals..
    What? I wrote her back..
    And said I was sorry but could never refer a client to someone who had been so mean.
    Not mean..I forget the word.. and went on to remind her of her nastiness.
    Period.
    So yes I can..do it..

    I have a few more stories;)
    Onward Marie onward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you were able to do that Monique! I think people need to be made accountable for their actions. All of us. We can't just wander through life doing whatever without fear or consequences! If we do things that hurt others we need to know! And we can't know unless we are told sometimes! Hopefully she never behaved in that manner to others. Users. Some people are just users. Its that simple. I am glad I am not like that and neither are YOU! You are good people, plain and simple. I would trust you with my life. xoxo

      Delete
    2. 200 THUMBS UP, Monique! This is my advice too. Marie...you are going to be fine ...I can see your strength, intellect and fortitude erupting....exploding, in fact. I think you are going to "make-it" in spades. You are going to have your moment in the Sun and you will deserve every second of it. One foot in front of the other...persevere and it won't take you long to "arrive". Watching with wonder as you go on your way with good wishes...Carlene

      Delete
    3. Thanks Carlene! It may take a while, but I am hoping I have a bright future ahead of me. Baby steps. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh Love the drawings! Especially the peas. And I think you're wise not to write. He very well may perceive that communication in a twisted way. You keep moving ahead,Marie - that's the way to go. I must remember the quote about you don't live there anymore regarding the past. Sometimes it's easy to slip back, but so much better to move on.
    Have a happy week, stay safe. I probably would do Zoom for church - I'm still doing online streaming for mine and am so grateful for it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I am still struggling with seeing him as the man he really was versus the man he presented to me. The two just don't mesh. It will be a difficult row to traverse trying to make sense out of what's happened and come out the other end intact, but I am trying. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie, I think you made a wise decision not to communicate with Todd. It has to be the right decision for you. You can't change what's over so you must go forward. Does he have your sister's address? If so, perhaps he'll write to you. It's a grey day here. Time to make my Victoria Sponge. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate that I have had to come to that decision Elaine. I really do, but I think its the only way I will be able to get through this all intact mentally and emotionally. I don't think he has ever understood what exactly he did to me. He didn't seem to anyways. I hope you enjoy the Victoria Sponge! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Marie
    I remember my Mum telling me at one time when I was at a very low point in my life, you fall but do not lay there and play dead, get up and fight.
    God Bless you with prayers and hugs

    Your friend from Wasaga Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beverly. We don't stay laying down. Not ever. Even if it is hard, we must, we need to get back up again. Love. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think your choices are the only ones you can make, Marie!! Glad you are proceeding ahead!! Somehow life will be good again, esp. with so many kin who love you nearby!! You will be just plain too busy for the sorrows of the past...though, of course, such comes in our dreams, unbidden, at times. It happens to all of us who have lived through abuse I think.
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I hope life will be good again. I really do. I know it will take a while before everything feels good. I expect I will have highs and lows. Love and hugs xoxo

      Delete
    2. Information out there shows that people who commit such acts are not capable of truly FEELING...something probably in their own childhood shut that off. But they are quite clever, maybe even intelligent and are THE BEST ACTORS in the world!! We have had our turn in our family too. Littlemancat is correct, in that your writing to him could be used in bad ways. We have had to learn to be so silent where the pedo EX of my daughter is concerned. He is only allowed to communicate with her via text or email (in writing). It is not a lot of safety but at least some. Take care of YOU, Marie...your family deserves you now!!
      love and hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

      Delete
    3. Thanks very much Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Wise, wise words today Marie <3

    Sounds like you had a great chat with your friend Jo, it's so cathartic when you can reminisce with laughter over a shared experience like you two did working for Mrs B.

    So happy to see you drawing again, more peas please : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise, wise words today Marie <3

    Sounds like you had a great chat with your friend Jo, it's so cathartic when you can reminisce with laughter over a shared experience like you two did working for Mrs B.

    So happy to see you drawing again, more peas please : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jen! I would like to do more artwork like I used to do. we will see. Love, xoxo

      Delete
  8. “Don’t look back,you don’t live there anymore “. oh I love that saying, Don’t write to Todd. The Todd you knew and loved doesn’t exist. The psychopath in prison will never understand how he hurt you. He may even blame you. You are a nurturing soul and think the best of everyone. He will use that knowledge and play mind games with you. You are on the way up now to being the person you really are. Read all the positive comments often and they will encourage you to stay the course. Here’s to week 2. Angharad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Angharad. I had never thought of him as a physhopath before, but I looked up the meaning and it was a very apt description! Thank you! Yes, he had already applied the blame game!!! If I was moving back to Canada and losing everything, it was my fault, my choice. Nothing to do with him. Here's to week 2 and the start of my new life! xoxo

      Delete
  9. No letters is definitely the way to go. You know, other people will only control you if you let them. I have a brother who is in prison for somewhat the same reason as Todd. I won't go into details, but this brother and I do not have a good relationship, never have had. Anyway, my mother just insisted I write a letter to him. So I did, a nice 3 page letter, even signed it I love you. What did he do? Complained to Mama that my letter was very cold and distant and I never said I love you or that I thought he had been wronged (which I do not, I think he should stay right where he is for a very long time). So now Mama was mad at me. So what did she do? She had promised each of us $1000 from an inheritance that she got. I wasn't expecting anything, but she cut mine in half for spite. Anyway, karma will win out. Love the drawings, wish I could do half as well. Much love - Raquel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((((hugs)))) that's terrible Raquel. Sometimes family can be so hateful to each other. I am blessed mine is pretty good! For the most part anyways! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  10. LOVELY to catch up with you, Marie... and to hear the upbeat tone here--wonderful! And to see you drawing again too! The GOODNESS of your sweet heart makes you want to reach out to Todd... But you are very wise NOT to! Don't let him steal any more of your power or heart--don't set yourself up for more hearthache. Glad your quarantine time is going--soon you'll be able to really be with your family--oh, happy day! ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Tracy. I am slowly getting there. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  11. Wow, those Chocolate Raspberry Pie Bars look so yummy; I must make them.
    You have such a gift for words and I am so happy you are journaling your thoughts like this. I think it can be very healing.
    I don't think I would write Todd either. There is time to just disconnect for the negative aspects of your life.
    I'm so excited for you to get out of quarantine and actually be with family. What a wonderful day that will be.
    I really like that you are drawing again. I think you are a wonderful artist and need to do more works. It's a talent you must continue to share.
    I do love your positive attitude. As you have said, the hard times teach lessons and I feel that your have been harsh, but then I think what a gift you have to understand others that have hard times too. Your caring heart will bring you to those that need you.
    Blessings, love and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading this post.You are such an inspiration. And I copied that motto--"Don't look back, you don't live there anymore."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!