Sunday 8 November 2020

First You Cry . . .

 
Imagine one day you wake up and discover that everything you have known and lived for the last twenty years of your life has been built upon the shifting sands of lies and deceptions. That all of the things you took to be true and to be real, actually were not.  That the person you had chosen to share those twenty years with ended up being not a real person at all, but a figment of someone elses' imaginations and desires to present himself to the world as a "normal" individual.
 
That you were part of the cover.

Imagine finding out that there were people who knew that this person was not who he had represented himself to be, but they never told you. That they had kept truth from you in some effort to prevent you from being hurt, to protect your happiness, whatever.  Their motives were pure, however misguided. Remember they are hurting too. They, too, have been deceived and  lied to.

Imagine finding out that the one person you had stored all of your faith in and given all your heart to, was not a real person at all, but some fantasy dreamed up in the mind of a very sick and selfish individual whose only motives were to build a happy life for himself without any consideration at all to the people whose lives his selfishness would impact in a very real and long lasting way.  

Imagine being stripped of all of your trust, your dignity, your confidence . . .  the list goes on and on. 

You cry.  First you cry. 


You cry for having lost what you thought you had. You cry for what never really was. You cry for an unknown future. 
 
You feel betrayed on the very deepest level of humanity.  You feel angry on the very deepest level of humanity. You feel hurt on the very deepest level of humanity. You feel broken beyond measure.You don't know how you can ever, will ever . . .  go on.

You learn to give up everything, because you have no choice. You very quickly learn what is worth taking with you into the future, because someone else's actions have served to rob you of the past you thought you had.  


You try to condense your whole life into 9 small boxes because that is all you have and you are grateful to have even those.  Thankfully you have surrounded yourself with good people.  Caring people.  People who will not let you down, and really, you haven't lost everything. You can't lose what you have never really had.  
 
You quickly realise that there is nothing tangible in this world that matters so much that you cannot leave it behind. That the things which really matter most are the things which cannot be touched with the hands, but the things which can only be reached through the heart.  And so you let go  . . . of everything and are grateful for the scraps you are able to bring forward with you.  Your mother's letters, photographs, your big blue binder, a few bits and pieces.  
 
And you cry some more because you realise that is not all you are going to have to give up. 


You will not have to give up the friendships you have made, the relationships you have formed with others throughout the years, but you will have also to give up the one REAL  thing you have to show from your last 20 years of life.  This is the thing which has hurt me the most. It was not giving up all of my possessions. It was not giving up a selfish man who never cared enough about me to be honest with me from the very beginning. It was having to give up my sweet Mitzie.  My constant companion from the minute I woke up in the morning until I closed my eyes at night. This is the thing which has hurt me the most.

And I am most grateful that she has been able to go to a loving and caring home.  That knowledge has been a great blessing to me.  Her new family has sent me photographs so I can know she is content and being loved.  That made my heart smile, but still I cry. I cry for the belly I will never be able to rub again, for those popcorn paws I will never again be able to snuffle, for those loving and understanding all-accepting eyes that I will never be able to look into again, and I cry some more. 

And I am so angry.
So very, very angry.

But perhaps I need to be.  Maybe that is one step towards healing
that I need to take. 

How dare he.
And yet, somehow I let him.


I know that with time things will get better and easier.  I just have to get through this broken bit.  Yesterday was a good day.  I saw Eileen at the doorway (2 meters apart and masked.). It had been 8 years since I have seen her.  Although we talk every day. I saw my father (same) whom I had not seen in 18 years.  I saw my sister, (again it has been 18 years) not once, but twice.  (Also distanced and masked.) The second time she brought me salt and pepper, and a piece of leftover pizza for my breakfast.  I talked to my two oldest sons, my brother.

Life will get better.  First though  . . .  you cry.  Its only natural.  I recognise however that I have some really great blessings in my life.  Good people who never asked why, only how. and what they could do for me.  Family whose love has always been constant and never-failing.  Friends who have prayed and supported me in any way that they can. 
 
I will be okay. I know I will be okay. God is good.  I have never doubted that. He, who knows the beginning from the end . . .  ever constant . . .  always loving . . . caring . . .  understanding.  

I have had to create new beginnings twice before. I can, and I will do it again. I may have a few wobbles along the way, but I have full confidence that what lays in front of me is going to be good.

Just my thoughts today  . . .  











 

36 comments:

  1. You know where I am. I was full of tears as well....especially your memories of the lovely Mitzie, it’s just two weeks last night that because I loved her she had to go to sleep, however as I read about Mitzie your words could have been mine thinking of Masy, but fortunately for you you will still be able to ..see...your Mitzie albeit in a photograph, but you will still have her however far away she is. I am delighted to see that you had such a welcoming party in the days to come I’m sure you will slowly get back to our gorgeous loving Marie, I will be watching out for next part of your life. May it bring you REAL happiness....❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words to offer, Marie. You have my support, however ephemeral it is through this medium. I am very sorry that this happened to you.

    Guido

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s the wobbles that make you regain your balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Marie, yes you are allowed to be angry, in time that will pass and you will regain your strength for the future ahead of you. I’m so sorry your life has changed so much from the one you truly thought you had. I for one am glad I came across you and all the other lovely ladies in the forum we were in. We never got the chance to meet in the UK, but one day I WILL make it to my dream destination of Canada and who knows, maybe we will meet then,
    Angela xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listen..I am angry..for you.
    So very angry.
    But look at everyone you saw.
    There’s no place like home Dorothy.
    Now you are with gold.
    I am sorry re Mitzie and Tina and others but escaping was the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I too walked away with nothing but a few family photos, my son's baby shoes and a suitcase. My greatest horror was leaving my cat, Thai, that later died at the hands of my ex. Cry all you want, sweetie. You are mourning the loss of everything you know and love in your life. I promise you that your family will enfold you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry with what you are going through it is heartbreaking I am lost for words Marie sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Marie, my heart aches for you and all you have lost, however I am beyond happy that you are home, with family to love and lift you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Marie, my heart aches for you and all you have lost, however I am beyond happy that you are home, with family to love and lift you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Marie, my heart aches for all you have lost, however I am beyond happy that you are home, with family to love and lift you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie I cried reading your post but I am so happy you are home safe and sounds with family close. Prayers and lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ((((Marie))) Keeping you firmly in my thoughts and prayers of support, peace and so much love <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do have every right to be angry. You are grieving for what's been lost and that is part of the progress. Thankfully you have a loving family to support and love you and it sounds like they are showing up for you. Allow them to help you and you'll make it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anger is a healthy part of the healing process Marie, go with it. You have been so strong to get to where you are and I admire you for that. I know it was heartbreaking to leave Mitzi behind but you found her a loving home and, honestly, the trip would have been very hard on a 10.5 year old dog. You did the right thing for her. How wonderful that you are now close to your family and will soon be able to hug them all.
    In spite of all that has happened recently you have had a very productive, creative, interesting 20 years in the UK ... embrace those memories and accomplishments and, in time, the sting of this betrayal will fade.
    Sending hugs and welcome home 🇨🇦. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. ((((Marie))) Keeping you and cherished Mitzie firmly in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Hopefully updates of your fur girl's well-being will provide some healing balm to your torn and shattered heart. So much love to you dear Marie <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no words, Marie, only tears. May the Lord bless you and comfort you, and heal the pain in your heart. May He restore to you the years the locusts have eaten. I am glad, though, that you are able to feel anger as well. It is so important. Eons ago when I was betrayed, I only felt the tears and made excuses for my husband, who took his life, and felt sorry for him. That was not healthy. Healing only came much later, when I was able to feel and release the anger as well. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m so very sorry - I feel for you and wish you all the best for your new future, which will be wonderful I know. Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Marie, I am so sad to read your post and my heart is breaking for you. I am so very sorry for your loss; the loss of what you thought you had and your dear fur baby. Alas, life has never promised us a rose garden but we take from it the fragrance and the beautiful petals of hope. The Lord bless you and comfort you and replace each tear with joy. Through time and His healing you will become stronger and able to minister to others. I know our God will take care of you because He loves you. I am so glad you have the love of your family to help get you through this. Prayers, love, and blessings to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marie my heart goes out to you. No, no one deserves this but Heavenly Father is always with us. Whether in the good times or bad times. You are a beautiful person inside and out. If you ever need a quiet place to stay or visit consider my home as a place of love and healing. I have been there I know the feelings that run rampant around your heart and head. Trust in the Lord and you will receive not only blessings but your reward. Love you and I am so proud of you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marie, my heart is breaking for you. I've been thru it...there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And your Heavenly Father is with you as you walk this path. Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I echo all these loving and positive comments. It’s so heartwarming to see such strong support for you, you have touched so many hearts, invoking all these lovely wishes and words and offers. Love and blessings, today and always, V

    ReplyDelete
  22. That’s a beautiful but heartbreaking post today. You will be angry for a long time,you will cry often , you will miss Mitzie for the rest of your life, but it will get easier. You will move forward, you are stronger than you know. This will not break you. It sounds like your present living arrangements are just fine for now, The COVID situation in the Maritimes seems under control so that’s one less worry. Keep posting we all want to know how you’re doing. Angharad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dearest Marie,
    My heart is breaking for you but your faith in God is a great example to me and everyone. I am surprised and sorry that you had to leave your home and friends in Chester. What happened to all your nice things? We’re you able to sell them? I’m praying you will be happy back in Canada with family. I hope we can have a visit sometime...maybe on FaceTime. Our love and prayers are with you. Stay strong and God Bless you 🙏💕🙏💕

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Marie, I cried with you. Your tears will wash away your grief and pain, your anger will fuel your courage and determination. I know you miss Mitzie but she will always be in your heart. Lovely you saw Eileen, your dad, Cindy and talked to your sons and brother. You must have ached to hug them all. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Marie, I have cried and I'm angry for you, I can't believe this has happened to you, like you I have had to make a couple of re-starts in my life, you are strong and with God's and your family's and friends help, you will get through this, anytime you feel that wobble I'm here for you anytime Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't even fathom to guess what happened or all you went through, the thought makes me ill. And your sweet fur baby, you put HER best interest first, you found her a second love and second adventure, just like you are starting yours. Blessings, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is a shame people kept certain knowledge from you, Marie. Your story is similar in ways to my daughter's life. I am SO GLAD you did not have children with him...believe me, the horrors never seem to end!! I think with time, you will find you have a much happier serene and useful life!! What a shame such people exist in this world, but right now it seems a great many are of that kind!! Such a nice person to send you photos of Mitzie and help ease your mind as to her welfare even though you will always miss her!! We never do quit missing the very good dogs (at least I still miss our last one who died now almost 10 yrs ago).
    HUGS and love, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Marie You are strong lady and will get thru this with the support of your friends from Zaar. Take one step at a time and think of it ,karma really works. Giant Hugs from Montreal ...bigbadbrenda

    ReplyDelete
  29. My dear Marie, you know always I love you so much, like a sister, I remember I begun to read you in this blog, and then in facebook and the England kitchen.
    I know you are a wise and wonderful woman and if you go to Canada (and Im happy you made it) you will be with your dad, and family and in time you will be better dear and Im always think God loves you and blessing you always.Is really difficult for me understand why you have tolive all this. Im angry too. We dont want the people we love suffer is simple.
    Dear Marie today I will pray especially for you.
    Send you hugs and love like always and please be on touch with us.
    I read a lot of your posts right now at night and I have and idea of all. Hard really hard.
    Send you loads of love and please count with me. Always love you dear Marie. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  30. My heart is breaking for you Marie too, I wasnt sure if I said in my comment, but really I feel so sad, for you . Take care dear and God will care you always.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am here, Marie. I don't know what you are going through but it sounds like a very painful chapter. You are safe now and deeply loved. Reach out if u need a friend. Sending love. Ally

    ReplyDelete
  32. ((BIG HUG)) to you Marie... My heart aches for you and all you've been through. I pray for so much better for you in the times to come. May you begin to heal now that you are away and home again. So brave you've been--I admire your courage! ((LOTS of LOVE))

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my dear friend, my heart is sad reading your works of sadness, betrayal, anger and yet I see gratitude and hope shinning forth.
    I do pray you will work through your grief; which is natural and good. Each stage of grief is important to wind your way through; not only to help you grow emotionally but spiritually too. It is hard work, but the end result will be a gift in the end. You will as always be good at lifting and blessing the lives of others through your experiences. I'm so happy you are a gift writer and this is very therapeutic to write it all out as you grieve through it.
    You will remain in my prayers and I'm sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sweetie - thinking of you so much the tears in my heart are hard to stop. I know you will miss Mitzy so much but she is with a lovely family - stay strong my friend and God will walk with you

    ReplyDelete
  35. Marie, in all you do, you RADIATE goodness, sincerity, and an absolutely inshakable sense of LOVELINESS. You and I have known of each other for a decade, but don't know each other at all. And yet...you have been there. This lovely bit of Englishness, this glimpse into a world my family came from, but left behind generations ago. You are a beloved daughter of God, and a lovely part of my world. Thank you for sharing this with us. <3 You cry. You rage. You scream. And you heal, in whatever way, and however long, you need. Thank you for all the beauty, and for this trust.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my! I am so sorry to hear about all your troubles...You are Not alone!! Sending lots of good vibrations your way. (I know it's been a year, but I hadn't read this one of your blogs before.) Please feel free to friend me on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/roni.barnett
    I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!