Saturday 21 November 2020

A place of gratitude . . .

 

 
I am writing to you from my dear sister's home this morning.  The end of one journey and the start of a new adventure called "The rest of my life!"  I need to stop thinking about this house as being my mother's house. Its not my mother's house anymore, its my sister's and she has and is in the process of making it a comfy and welcoming "Home Sweet Home."  I am so very grateful for her, Dan, my father, indeed all of my family who have given me a place to come back to.  A place to catch my breath and to think and to prepare myself for really getting on with what will be the rest of my life.

I have never really lived by myself.  I went from my father's house to my husband's house, twice and then back to my mother's house and then once again to my husband's house. Oh, I did have a rented bedroom in someone else's house for a short period of time, but I don't really count that as having lived on my own.  I've always largely been dependant on having the roof of other's above my head. When I finally do get my own apartment, it will truly be the first time I will have lived on my own in my entire life.  

I am so very grateful for a family that has always been there for me. Truly grateful.

My sister was at the motel to pick me up bright and early yesterday morning. I was up myself about 4:30 am, anxious and gagging to be out of there. I was actually quite surprised at how quickly the two weeks had gone for me. I had thought two weeks in a motel room would be quite boring, but I managed to keep myself very busy for the entire time. Surprisingly, I never really got to play with the paints I had brought with me in my suitcase.  

It didn't take me all that long to unpack here.  I had to laugh at some of the things I had in my suitcases.  I had left behind things I really should have brought and brought things I really should have left behind. 
 
I think my sister's analogy of having been and escaped from a big fire is the best way to really look at things. If my house had burnt to the ground I would be very grateful for the things I still had and not really mourn too awfully much the things I had lost. What is that they say?  "Don't live in the past, you don't live there anymore." Very apt I would say.

Fresh start, new beginning. 


It was so nice sitting here last night at supper.  My sister, Dan, my dad.  It was the first time in over 18 years that we had actually sat down together for a meal with each other. We didn't really cook per se.  We had picked up a family sized chicken pot pie for our supper and some scalloped potatoes.  We roasted frozen butternut squash and button brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and had some coleslaw on the side.  Then we had picked up a Deep and Delicious McCain's Chocolate Cake for dessert. Mom always loved those cakes, and I thought it would make it up to dad a bit for having had his supper a bit later than usual. You know how older people are. They are creatures of habit.  (I'm a creature of habit!!) 

 
My sister had to work for a few hours yesterday so that gave me ample opportunity to unpack my things, and then President Nelson from my church was giving a special message to the Saints at 2 PM, which I was looking forward to tuning in to listen to.  It was entitled "The Healing Power of Gratitude."  When more have we all needed a message of hope and of gratitude than at this time in our world's history and experienc??

Skilled scientists and researchers are laboring diligently to 
develop and distribute a vaccine against the coronavirus. 
But there is no medication or operation that can fix the 
many spiritual woes and maladies that we face. 
 
There is, however, a remedy — 
one that may seem surprising — 
because it flies in the face of our natural intuitions.
 
Nevertheless, its effects have been validated by 
scientists as well as men and women of faith. 
 I am referring to the healing power of gratitude. 
 
We've all been challenged to share something on social media which we are grateful for using the #give thanks over the next seven days, and promised that we will feel a deeper sense of purpose and joy a the end of the week.  I

I have always striven to live my life with gratitude.  This is not always easy, especially when you are going through difficult and hard times.  It would be very easy to look back on the year 2020 with sorrow and broken hearts over all we have and are missing out on.  It will certainly be a year that will be written about in the history books of the world.  But, it is not all entirely bad either.

The Corona Virus will have impacted all of us in one way or another, some of us more so than others.  Especially those of us who have lost loved ones.  But I think if we look back on this year we will all have something very positive to focus on as well.  It has been a year of great introspection.  A year when we have been given pause to look at and focus more fully on the things in our lives which are the most important of all.  The love of home, family and friends.  Faith. Finding comfort in the simple things in life.

Being stuck in our homes will hopefully have given us pause to reflect on just what it is that makes our homes truly "Home . . .  Sweet Home." 

Home Sweet Home isn't a place.  It is a feeling . . . of being loved and accepted, of belonging, of safety and security. It is a place of gratitude. 

And those are my words this morning.   

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
No matter our situation, 
showing gratitude for our privileges 
is a fast-acting and long-lasting spiritual prescription.
~President Russell M Nelson •。★★ 。* 。 




There is nothing new in the kitchen today, but I am sharing you this Spiced Plum Cake. Its the perfect weekend cake!  

I hope you have a beautiful Saturday. I am very much looking forward to seeing my son Doug a bit later on and Jon.  Happy days! 

Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 
 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 





26 comments:

  1. You are home Dorothy🙂🙂🙂Sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy rest of your life ! Enjoy it and be thankful for it. There is always plenty to be thankful for and yes this year has all turned our thoughts to home and family more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very happy for you - how very wonderful to be in the heart of your family again. Welcome home, truly.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. There’s no place like home ♥️ !!! V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, enjoy the visit with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie!

    I am so happy for you! What a wonderful blessing to be home, with your sister and father, and to share a meal with them...at last! And then later, more family, I know this is a dream come true!

    Pres. Nelson really is such an amazing man, truly inspired in every way. I loved his message yesterday, it is something that I needed to hear, especially right now.

    I am grateful to have my computer working! I have missed so much, and my phone just wasn't a good alternative, I'm all thumbs when it comes to typing on my phone. So good to be back and able to comment.

    I'm so very thankful for good friends...like you! And, I'm so happy that you are settled in for the meantime, happy and content, but most especially, loved!

    Much love to you dear friend! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for your computer working now also Barb! I can’t imagine having to use a phone for everything! ❤️

      Delete
  7. Sounds wonderful, Marie! So happy for you!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first meal with your family sounds delightful. My mom loved those deep and delicious cakes, too. Haven't had one in years. Enjoy your visit with Doug and Jon. Gratitude us magic. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always I love every word and thought you wrote. You have such a gift for writing.
    I am so happy that you are finally with family. I love that you can be with your sister, Dan and your Dad. What a gift this is for you write now. I'm happy you have a place to feel secure and happy as you build your new life.
    I did think our beloved Prophet gave the best prescription for our struggles right now. I feel gratitude everyday for a multitude of blessings even in the middle of some big family difficulties.
    I love your grateful heart after all you have been through. It's true for all, don't live in the past just go forward; which I know you will.
    Big blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much LeAnn! I am so grateful for our prophet! ❤️

      Delete
  10. Beautiful post, Marie. Filled with hope. Prayers for a very blessed and joyful new chapter in your life. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your finally home with your family Marie, just where you want to be and not just in your heart!
    I'm sooo happy for you!
    Stay safe and be well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy for you. An attitude of gratitude is not a bad thing to have. I'll be praying for you on this new journey!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!