Saturday 17 March 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . Two Temples



A builder builded a temple,
He wrought it with grace and skill;
Pillars and groins and arches
All fashioned to work his will.
Men said, as they saw its beauty,
"It shall never know decay;
Great is thy skill, O builder!
Thy fame shall endure for aye."



A mother builded a temple
With loving and infinite care,
Planning each arch with patience,
Laying each stone with prayer,
None praised her unceasing efforts,
None knew of her wondrous plan,
For the temple the mother builded
Was unseen by the eyes of man.



Gone is the builder's temple,
Crumpled into the dust;
Low lies each stately pillar,
Food for consuming rust.
But the temple the mother builded
Will last while the ages roll,
For that beautiful unseen temple
Was a child's immortal soul.
~Hattie Vose Hall



Tomorrow it's Mothering Sunday over here in the UK, so I thought I would share a poem about motherhood here this morning. I love my mom . . . she's one of my best friends. I know that she will always love me no matter what and whilst I may disappoint her from time to time, the love she has for me will never change. It is steady and as sure as the sun which comes up every morning and goes down every night. I am ever grateful for all the sacrifice and care she has given me every day of my life. I can never repay her for this . . . it is priceless and treasured beyond measure.

Motherhood is . . .
The purest joy the heart can feel,
The strongest bond that love can seal,
The deepest truth that life can teach,
The greatest height the soul can reach . . .
~Flora S Horne



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, An Irish Soda Farl, for St Patrick's Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!