Saturday 12 February 2011

Poetry Saturday



The Visitor

God dwells here
Within this quiet room;
His touch is on my posies
Of violets and broom.




And as the evening sunshine
Sheds around it's golden store,
God lingers in the gentle beams
That slant across the floor.



I come here tired and weary,
When day is nearly done;
God comes here in the evening,
As I watch the dying sun.



He stays with me a little while
And soothes my troubled heart;
He smells my sprigs of jasmine,
The silently departs.



And yet He always stays here,
Within my quiet room;
They told me so themselves, you see,
My violets and broom . . .

~Margaret Mills


A little poem to enjoy on this late winter Saturday . . . food for the soul . . .

I made this delicious toffee sauce to have on ice cream for after our supper last night . . . too good not to share with you all! Todd really enjoyed it!



*Golden Toffee Sauce*
Makes 2 cups
Printable Recipe

This is wonderful. Full of rich toffee flavour, it’s delicious drizzled over ice cream. It keeps for months in the fridge so while it makes rather a lot you will have no problems using it all up.

6 TBS butter
6 ounces light soft brown sugar (about 3/4 cup)
4 ounces caster sugar (about 1/2 cup)
1 ¼ cup golden syrup (10 ounces) (you can use corn syrup if that’s all you have)
1 cup single cream (8 ounces)
½ tsp vanilla essence

Put all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring. Boil for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to warm before spooning over ice cream. Add some sliced banana for a real taste treat!

Store, covered in the refrigerator.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, Buttermilk Cupcakes with a Framboise Glaze.

2 comments:

  1. Delicious...the poetry and the sauce.

    Where do you get all these fabulous pictures from Marie?

    Have a good weekend.

    Hugs

    Sheilagh

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem and I adore the photos. Makes me want to visit that little cottage.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!