Monday 19 August 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




Having my father here for supper on Friday night. My sister and Dan were away so dad came here for his supper. He came earlier in the afternoon after he finished having his tea at Tim Hortons and he watched Seinfeld on my Netflix for a time. He really likes Seinfeld, and the only time he gets to watch it is when he is here.  Anyways, we had a nice visit together and then a simple supper because he doesn't really want anything fancy. He thinks I cook fancy and so he is always telling me he just wants simple.  I can do simple. In fact I prefer to do simple.  I had enough of fancy cooking when I worked at the Manor, but to dad fancy is anything beyond meat and potatoes.  We had weiners and chips and he was very happy with that, and I was happy getting to spend the time together.



 


Sunday night dinner at Cindy's.  This week she made homemade pizza. It was very good.  It always is.  Cindy is a good cook.  This week she did something different with it. She added dill pickles.  My goodness but it was a really delicious addition!  We were all surprised at how tasty it was! It was something she had seen her friend do and so she was intrigued enough to try it herself.  It was great!

 Best part,  however, was spending time with the family.  Dad, Cindy, Dan, the cats.  There are five there now.  Jazzy, Mac, Gus, Sully and my father's cat Princess. They are all getting along together fine, so that is good!  As you will remember, at first they did not. Thankfully things have settled down.




Attending church on Sunday morning.  Getting to partake of the sacrament and renew my covenants and take the Savior's name upon myself.  Listening to the talks, singing the hymns. Fellowshipping with the Saints and then studying the scriptures in Sunday School. I love it all.  And the treat always begins with the car-ride to church with my cousin Glenna. We have a good old gab every time. I love it. All of it.



 


I watch this guy called David on YouTube. He posted a video the other day about his most recent trip to the temple.  I really enjoyed it and he is inspiring me to want to go to the Temple. I have not been to the Temple since shortly before all this happened with Todd.  I suppose I have been feeling a bit betrayed by it all.  How someone could kneel across from me, holding hands with me in the Temple of the Lord and lie to me about who he was and then continue to lie for over 20 years. It really shook my foundation and I have not felt good about going to the Temple since this all happened. It is hard to explain.  But listening to David talk about his recent experience in the Temple and seeing his deep feelings about it pricked my heart.  I was praying about it last night.  Every night after I say my prayers I listen to a Conference Talk in bed and for some reason I clicked on this one. I always choose the talks I listen to randomly.  In this talk President Nelson was talking about the Temple.  

"To those of you who have long been absent from the temple, I encourage you to prepare and return as soon as possible. I invite you to worship in the temple and pray to feel deeply the Savior's infinite love for you."

BAM!

I think God is sending me a message. I need to go back to the Temple. It is time.





 

Sunny August days.  I love them.  The nights are a bit cooler and so sleeping is a bit better, but you still get lovely warm and sunny days.  Some of the humidity of July is gone, although you still do get some very humid days.  It won't be long now and we will start seeing tinges of autumn entering our days.  I am not ready quite yet  . . . 

I am still enjoying summer.


 

Local peaches. Now is the time to enjoy them. I had not realized how many people grew peaches in the valley.  Next it will be apple season and I am really looking forward to that. I enjoy all of the produce seasonally. I picked up some wild Nova Scotia Blueberries the other day.  Splendid!




This is a photograph that Cindy took at The Ovens on Friday.  The ovens is the sight of the 1861 Gold Rush in Nova Scotia.  The topography is very interesting to say the least. I have never been there myself, but I enjoyed seeing Cindy's photos. 

We are so lucky to live in a province with such a wide and varied history.  Lost of pirate stories, the ghost ships of Mahone Bay, and the Bluenose.  A stunning coastline filled with beautiful little fishing villages.  A lovely valley filled with orchards, etc.  It is just a beautiful province. I am proud to call it my home. 


 



This little corner of my world.  I love it.  It makes me smile every time I look at it.  What a joy it brings to my heart. Red capped toadstools, birds, bunnies, a picture of the Savior carrying someone, candles, lavender, plants.  Just joy. Pure and utter joy.




 


A week without a lot of drama. The most drama came from Chippy digging up my geranium to hide his nuts.  Little  monkey.   My days were simple and carefree.  All is well in my little corner of the world, or as well as it can be. I am content.  I have enough.   I am blessed.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day.  

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *There's no place
like hope.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 


Tuna Melt Quesadilla



In The English Kitchen today . . .  Tuna Melt Quesadilla. This was outrageously delicious and such a simple thing to make.  Very tasty!


I hope that you have a week filled with small and wonderful things. I am going to try to do another video today.  This time I am going to do Crumpets.  Wish me luck!  In the meantime have a great day and don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

 

And I do too! 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Pickles on pizza, hmmmm, not sure. A friend told me how she read about re-using pickle juice to make more pickles. She tried it, will see how she liked it. We really aren't pickle eaters. Looking forward to your next video, love crumpets. Have a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether you make it to this temple or not...another one is coming and we can ALL go together to it!! WOWEE...won't that be grand??
    Ah, simple foods...yum!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!