Tuesday 6 August 2024

A Day Book . . .

 


FOR TODAY, August 6th, 2024


OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

Its still quite dark, the nights are drawing in now.  I was awake at 5:30 and chafing at the bit, wanting to get to work. Its garbage day. The street is lined with bin bags from all of us. Its a fresh 16*C/60*F so it doesn't feel quite as oppressive this morning.  Grateful for that. Humidity is still at 98%, but its not going to be as hot today. Relief.




I AM THINKING ...

Thinking about how grateful I am this morning for my friend Alison, and a brother who worked tirelessly to get the food blog back up and funning, for all of the support given by so many people with their positivity and prayers, for my Heavenly Father who lifted me when I faltered and was ready to give up, for answered prayers.  I am so grateful for it all, and for each of you. I hope that you know that!


I AM ALSO THINKING ...

Lessons learned.  It is not a bad thing to diversify and put a few of my eggs in some other baskets. I am grateful for the impetus this situation gave me to finally try doing videos and although I am not that good at it yet, I am trying. It is good to stretch and to learn new things.  I have nowhere to go but up!


Small Batch Funfetti Cake


IN THE KITCHEN ...

Small Batch Funfetti Cake.    This cake is a small batch party in the mouth! Moist and delicious it cuts into two or four slices, depending on how large a piece of cake you want to enjoy! No time like the present to celebrate!



ON MY "TO COOK" LIST ...

I am book marking these Stollen Bites from Super Golden Bakes so that I can possibly try them out this Christmas. When I was in the U.K. the stollen bites in the grocery stores were one of my favorite things to enjoy, even more than the actual stollen.



REMEMBERING ...

This was something that I had posted on this date exactly a year ago today in a Small and Wonderful Things post. 

“May you see God’s light on the path ahead when the road you walk is dark. 
May you always hear, even in your hour of sorrow, the gentle singing of the lark. 
When times are hard may hardness never turn your heart to stone. 
May you always remember when the shadows fall, you do not walk alone.” 

It fit then, it fits now. Knowledge for life. Hardships CAN become sacred experiences when we allow them to shape us into something better than what we were.


I WOULD LOVE TO CREATE ...



Pretty little pouches.  Several of my great loves. Sewing. Embroidery. Lace. Borderopafeeto on Instagram.




Love these sweet little embroidered linen bags as well. No source, but so pretty.




NeedleNThread Beautiful linen sampler. I love this sort of thing. So pretty.




I couldn't find the source for this either. More of my loves. Dolls, sewing embroidery.




Prim Penny Designs.  So cute and again, right up my alley.




OH MY GOODNESS ...
Look at all of those sweet little pink beans. So adorable. 





SOMETHING I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ...

Bullying.  There is someone who is always dripping nastiness into my comments. I don't know what I have ever done to engender this.  I can accept constructive criticism.  But it is clear to me this person means only to cause me ill will.   Go away. If it were possible to block someone on Blogger, I would.  And always under the cloak of anonymity. How courageous.







I AM READING ...

The Rapture of Canaan, by Sheri Reynolds

Members of the Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind spend their days and nights serving the Lord and waiting for the Rapture--that moment just before the Second Coming of Christ when the saved will be lifted bodily to heaven and the damned will be left behind to face the thousand years of tribulation on earth. 

The tribulation, according to Grandpa Herman, founder of Fire and Brimstone, will be an ugly time: "He said that we'd run out of food. That big bugs would chase us around and sting us with their tails . . . He said we'd turn on the faucet in the bathroom and find only blood running out . . . He said evil multitudes would come unto us and cut off our limbs, and that we wouldn't die . . . And then he'd say, 'But you don't have to be left behind. You can go straight to Heaven with all of God's special children if you'll only open your hearts to Jesus . . .'" 

Such talk of damnation weighs heavy on the mind of Ninah Huff, the 15-year-old narrator of Sheri Reynolds's second novel, The Rapture of Canaan. To distract her from sinful thoughts about her prayer partner James, Ninah puts pecan shells in her shoes and nettles in her bed. But concentrating on the Passion of Jesus cannot, in the end, deter Ninah and James from their passion for each other, and the consequences prove both tragic and transforming for the entire community. 

 The Rapture of Canaan is a book about miracles, and in writing it, Reynolds has performed something of a miracle herself. Although the church's beliefs and practices may seem extreme (sleeping in an open grave, mortifying the flesh with barbed wire), its members are complex and profoundly sympathetic as they wrestle with the contradictions of Fire and Brimstone's theology, the temptations of the outside world, and the frailties of the human heart.

I am revisiting this book. I have read it a couple of times now. It is one of my longstanding favorite novels and I enjoy rereading it from time to time.

THINGS I LOVE ...


 

Hollyhocks  . . . 

 

French crullers  . . . 

 


Vintage Enamel . . . 


 

Pancakes with butter and syrup  . . . 

 

Bookshops . . . I could spend hours perusing  . . . 


MAKES ME SMILE ...



The glass birds in my front window.  I love seeing them.  There is another one there which really makes me smile, but it didn't show up in the photo for some reason. A gift from my sweet friend Elaine a year or so back.  Its right in the middle there at the top.  You can just see the bottom of it. Next time I will take a better photo.


SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

 



One Life, on Prime. I love films based on true stories. And I love Anthony Hopkins. Such a great actor.


A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°Those who bring sunshine
into the lives of others
cannot keep it from themselves.
~James M Barrie° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ 

Once again, many thanks for all of your prayers and support! They were so appreciated and I am grateful for each and every one.

And that's my daybook for this week!



  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 



Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   




18 comments:

  1. There must be a way to block anonymous comments on blogger. So glad your EK site is back and and working and you can share recipes on there again. Thank goodness for your brother and friend who got it working. Temperatures have dropped down about 2 or 3 degrees here, so not that oppressive heat to get up to. We did have rain yesterday so hopefully that cleared some of the humidity away. Have a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to block everyone from posting anonymously as there are some really nice people who are not able to post a comment in any other way. I will just have to put up with the bully and delete their comments every time they drip one in I suppose! I am so grateful to my brother. He deserves a huge reward! Its not as bad here today as it was. I don't even have my heat pump on! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Same weather as Linda..but first and foremost..CONGRATS..And yay bro and Alison:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both deserve huge awards! I agree! xoxo

      Delete
  3. From your blog settings page on the web, scroll down and click the pencil to edit your blocked users, then type in the user that you want to block.

    Blocking Users - Help Center

    Tumblr
    https://tumblr.zendesk.com › 231877648-Blocking-Users

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congratulations on getting EK back, so very thankful to your brother and Allison! 🩷 I watched your videos , I love, loved them….you are so real and so dear. I have to hand it to you, to reinvent yourself in this way is so brave and admirable! Well done you! What happy day this is for you and for all of us who follow you! 💜Enjoy and happy happy happy Tuesday ….xox, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much V! They did me a real tender mercy! Thanks for your comments re the videos. I hope I will get better! Its so hard, but I am trying! Happy Tuesday to you also! xoxo

      Delete
  5. There actually is away to block anonymous commenters. In your settings under comments it has three categories as to who you allow to comment. The first one is to block anonymous. #2 is only allow Blogger accounts #3 is for just for the followers of your blog.
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debby! I will bear that in mind! It is so easy for people to be nasty anonymously! xoxo

      Delete
  6. SO happy you got the EK back, thanks to a friend and a brother!! I have seen blogs that will not put up comments until reviewed...so that is one way to at least keep it from being public. And if you can block any anonymous ones, seems a good idea these days, Marie!! There are those who simply CANNOT STAND folks being happy...I could write a book on those who did clandestine things to me, long before computers were available to ordinary people. I finally figured out it was just that I must have appeared happy. Yet in those days, when I was living at home yet, I was mostly anything but happy...as my dad was abusive, if not physically, mentally, emotionally and spiriturally. I tried not to make my problems those of anyone else...so maybe I did appear happy. Mostly I was shy and quiet. So these jealous onlookers could not possibly understand what life is behind closed doors...we never know those things about others. Well, keep on keeping on...those of us who love you do not count what is said by the creeps out there.
    And so glad you are now making videos...I think you are already doing better than most out there...you are a good teacher!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Elizabeth, either that or they are just meanies as a natural course of who they are. They must be sad, sad people. Thanks so much for your feedback re the videos! xoxo

      Delete
  7. So happy God pulled you through Marie, so many of us were praying for a positive outcome, these things do happen for a reason and maybe that reason will prove to be a fabulous fresh path.
    You are a very special person and your love for your passions is very evident, can’t wait to see all that is coming for you 😊♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did and I am so grateful for all of the prayers! I do believe that all things happen for a reason and I am not going to sit still, but move ahead and hopefully find an additional path that I can be helpful to others in another way! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Absolutely thrilled your website is all well..it's a great resource and wonderfully comforting! I know we all were praying and sending good vibes, those really do help.Love all your finds,so many adorable things.Please keep making those YouTube videos,there is a big comfort viewing vibe there,plus great recipes.
    Beth S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth! I do believe in the power of prayer and they have really helped me. Always. I do plan on keeping making the videos. Maybe one or two a week as time allows! I enjoy them even though I am not all that good at them yet! xoxo

      Delete
  9. So glad you got your blog up and running again. your brother and friend who worked tirelessly certainly deserve an award. I watched your videos and I think they are good for a beginner. Once you get more comfortable behind the camera, you will be amazing. Just be careful about groaning or grunting when you rearrange the camera. You may want edit that out. but I did subscribe and I certainly will watch future videos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I share in many of your favorite things, they are delightful. I had participated in the Simple Woman Day Book,as you do now, may revisit that. It is a simple way to practice gratitude.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!