Saturday 3 August 2024

Saturday Nice . . .

 

 

If I can hang crisp curtains
And hang a handy shelf,
Put up a picture here and there
To sort of suit myself,
Put cushions on a rocking chair,
Have a few flowers growin',
I wouldn't trade my happy lot
With all the kings that's goin'.

If I can cook a pot of stew
Or make a batch of bread
A pan of shiny home-made buns,
Air out a feather bed;
If I can plant a row of beans,
Take pleasure in the sowin',
I wouldn't trade my happy lot
With all the kings that's goin'.

If I can live in happy peace,
With none to work me ill;
 A crimson rosebush by the door,
Sun on a distant hill,
A little home where love is lord
And all the world be knowin'
I wouldn't trade my happy lot
With all the kings that's goin'.
~Edna Jacques, White Curtains
Back Door Neighbors, 1946

As far as I know the blog is still down. I cannot see it at any rate.  My brother was working on it off and on all day yesterday.  Something's not quite right about it, but if anyone can fix it, he can.  So I am remaining hopeful.  We are not there yet, but God willing, we can get there. I have everything crossed!




I videoed another video yesterday, and I worked on my channel.  I had to stop the video partway through because Nutmeg decided to jump up on my workspace.  He is very interested in what I am doing. Cinnamon could care less.  She is not bothered.  I did manage to splice the two videos together, but somehow I ended up doubling it, so it runs through and then starts again. Back to square one. I will have to erase that draft and try splicing it together again. I hope I can remember how I did it the first time!  I just keep telling myself if Anna from Anna's Mobile Home Life can do it, then I can do it. If I wait for things to be perfect, it will never be done. I started my food blog back in 2009, and it was far from perfect then. Its not even perfect now, but I keep slogging away.  My channel will hopefully grow and get better as I become  more adept at doing things. We shall see!





I know I should have waited until my birthday to open this card, but I couldn't wait. I hope she will forgive me!  Monique sent me this stunning 3D birthday card. We have been exchanging birthday cards for several years and I always love the cards she sends. This was no exception. I absolutely adore it. It is so pretty!  A market truck full of flowers.  It reminds me very much of the south of France.  I love it and it didn't half cheer me up to see it!  THANK YOU MONIQUE!  It is simply beautiful.





Cinnamon has taken to keeping me company on the back of the sofa every evening.  She lays right behind my head.  She also loves to sleep in their cat tunnel and she love LOVES to play in it.  I dangle their ribbon wand in front of the windows and her little paws dart out as I move it back and forth.  She is very quick.





Nutmeg is usually laying next to me on the sofa.  This was him just before he jumped up. He nestles right into my side and I can reach down and tickle his ears whenever. At one point yesterday he was stretched out all along the length of the sofa seat.  I thought to myself, hmmm . . . where do I sit?  haha


They are great company for sure, even as demanding as they can sometimes be. That old saying about Dogs having masters and Cats having slaves?  Totally true.


 

Sunflowers are starting to bloom now.  You can see a whole field of them behind the Spur's Farm Market. In another week or two they will probably open it up to pick your own sunflowers.  At one point I had sunflower wall paper and kitchen accessories.  And then I went through a cow phase. I think we all have had those decorating phases at one time or another.  I no longer follow trends like that.  I just keep things simple and decorate in a way that makes me happy.  I actually no longer really decorate to be honest.  It is a younger woman's game I think. Now I just want my home to be tidy, comfortable and welcoming.  That is enough for me. I have tried to fill my home with things that have meaning and which bring me joy.  That's my goal for the rest of my life anyways.  Just to fill my life and home with things that have meaning and which bring me joy.


 

So what is your perfect day?  To  me a perfect day would be a day where it is not too warm or humid, and not too cold. A day filled with faith, family, friends, good food, my furry family members, and something to do that brings me peace and happiness.   Perhaps a bit of painting, or baking. Maybe some crochet or reading.  A good movie to watch on the television that makes me feel uplifted, that makes my heart smile.  Some time spent out and about with my sister. (Those are always really good days.  I enjoy her company so much.) 


Cindy and I are going out together this morning. My brother will be flying and out for most of the day himself.  Apparently the blog is propagating itself and it could take 48 hours to be seen or something like that. There is no point in me staying home and watching the paint dry. It is good to be distracted.


 



Plus's of this week have been the opportunity to get a few other things done.  To sit back and explore other avenues of possible activity for the future.  To think, ponder and pray.  To stretch my faith and put it to work. What is the point of having faith if it never has the opportunity to stretch and to grow.  


I don't think it is wrong for me to share my feelings when I am feeling doubtful or anxious about an uncertain future.  I do not think that shows a lack of faith. Someone commented that I come across as hopeless. This is in response to that.

Mark 9:23-25 New KJV

Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”  Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

In other words, 

“My faith is far from perfect. I may not have enough faith. If my faith is not enough, please help me to have enough.”


I think most believers can identify with the man in this scripture from time to time. Acknowledging our inadequacy allows God to work in our lives. I am not perfect and I do not see myself as being totally righteous, although I am on the right path and trying. I have a long ways to go.  I do trust God to take care of and direct my life, but like all people I am sometimes face to face with things that seem to overpower my faith and so in that moment, I have enough faith to ask for more. I need to have enough faith to ask for more. Faith is a gift from God and when it starts to lag or lack, or waver  . . .  we often need to ask for more.  God knows what we want and what we need, but He likes for us to acknowledge our needs and wants. It is often very cathartic for us to do so.

Unbelievers have no interest in having more faith. That's okay for them.  I respect that.

 As a believer, however,  I know that I am not perfect in my faith. It is not wrong to express that, or to ask for the prayerful support of others. If left to our own strength and our own faith, we would never make it. “I believe; help my unbelief” is, to my way of thinking, both a statement of faith and an admission that my faith is far from being perfect. It is also another way to share with the people in my life how far my faith carries me and how much I need the guidance and love of my Heavenly Father.  It is never wrong to ask for the support and the prayers of others.  A problem shared is a problem halved.

So, whilst I am sorry that some people feel that I come across as being hopeless, that is not my intent.  I am who I am. I have always shared how I am feeling about everything on here. I am honest to my core. It would be very wrong for me to present myself as a perfect being whose faith never wavers and who lives a perfect life without any troubles.  I am imperfectly and unapologetically human.

I also believe that if I share my struggles, as well as how I cope and get through them, then perhaps I might help another who is having the same or similar struggles. I do share a lot of joy as well.


 

The heat warning remains in place for today.  It is going to be quite warm and humid, which makes it feel even warmer as the day progresses.   I think many of us are experiencing the same thing weatherwise.  A good thunderstorm usually clears the air and brings in cooler temperatures.  I have not seen a good thunderstorm in a very long time.   We used to have really bad ones when I was growing up. My mom used to be almost crouching in fear of them with her arms wrapped around her head.  I am not afraid of them myself, although the noise from the thunder can sometimes be a bit startling. But I have grown up in a different era than my mother did.  I totally empathize with those who find them very fearful and terrifying.

And with that I shall leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°Earth's crammed with Heaven
& every common bush afire with God.
~Elizabeth Barrett Browning° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •



Of course there is no new recipe to share with you today, but I can share what I had for supper last night. I had picked up these frozen BBQ Beef Brisket Tacos at the Costco outlet the other day when I was there with Cindy and Dad.  There were 12 in the box, so enough for four meals.  I cooked three of them yesterday and enjoyed them with some tomato rice and the last of my sister's coleslaw. It was a very good supper!

I hope that you have a beautiful day, filled with lots of nice things, with people who love you, and that you are happy.  Whatever you get up to, stay safe and don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

18 comments:

  1. I subscribed to your new youtube channel, and can get to your EK site from there (on my Macbook Air laptop) Most of the links work fine. Tis a mystery why I can see it and you can't. Best to keep busy Continue to be you, not what someone else thinks ou should be. Enjoy the time with Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda! I really do appreciate your support! The blog has not finished updating all of the DNS records to allow the proper generation of the SSL certificate and in particular Google has not picked it up yet? I think that is what my brother called what is going on. He said it could take up to 48 hours for this to happen, so it is very ongoing, and I remain very hopeful! He has done his best as did Alison. I am so grateful for that. I am keeping busy for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I can easily get to TEK..It loads right away:) Ill peek at Youtube too mind you I don't get notifications and rarely watch youtube if ever.To fix things or refresh my crochet stitches and paint..all in winter.I'm not a youtube watcher I know many are:)Glad you like your card:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds promising Monique! Yay! Your card is beautiful. I am sorry for opening it early, but I could not resist. It was the perfect ray of sunshine in my week! xoxo

      Delete
  3. It’s seems like things are getting fixed and soon, all will be well with your technical issues…yay! From someone who knows nothing of these matters, I wish you the best and no more worries for a long time. Stay true and strong…and happy birthday early!
    Cheers, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V! I have great faith in my brother and in God. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Did I miss a link? How do I find your youtube channel? IF there are any people whose life is continually perfect, I have not met them yet. THAT life yet awaits us all...folks need to spend some time reading some experiences of those who died awhile and came back. This life is our TEST...not the next one. You are human and you share your life though there is no need to do so...if folks don't understand probably they have not lived long enough yet.
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what the link on YouTube is Elizabeth. I have called my channel Marie Cooks Up a New Life and I think it is www.youtube.com/@MarieAliceJoan Thanks for your support Elizabeth! Love you! xoxo

      Delete
  5. You are the most hopeful person, I know. Pay no attention to unkind criticism. Hopefully, The English Kitchen will be up and running very soon. Love and hugs, Elaine (in still hot Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine. My brother is working very hard and I appreciate him so much! Love and hugs from a still hot and humid Nova Scotia! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Marie, you should offer your art prints and the cooking pamphlets for sale more prominently, like Susan Branch. I am unable to see the EK website yet, but can’t wait til it comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I used to do that, but I no longer have the printer and resources that I used to have in the U.K. I will bear it in mind though! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Along with the loveliness, it feels like this is just what I need to hear today. Thank you for your faithful encouragement!!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Terri! You are very welcome and thanks also for your encouragement! xoxo

      Delete
  8. The English Kitchen is still not showing. This just goes to show how unreliable and unpredictable the internet can be as a source of income. Nothing beats saving, investing and cutting corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine if you live a perfect life where nothing traumatic happens to derail your life. I think I have done the best I could have done considering the slaps that life has dealt me. I am proud of my accomplishments. My brother is working hard at getting it up again and I have faith in him and his abilities to do so. In the meantime I am working hard to get other things going. I hope and pray that life is always kind to you, and that your investments and savings never let you down.

      Delete
    2. Whatever you do, Anonymous...don't read the book of Job!! (Actually, you should...if there is a book that validates that it is often the righteous who suffer most, that is the book!!) Jesus said the 2 most important commandments were to love GOD with all our hearts, souls, mind and our neighbor as ourself. I think Marie has done especially well at that!! May we all do as well!!
      Elizabeth

      Delete
  9. Marie, I just found your blog and love it. I have been binge reading it to catch up. My days are brighter after reading your entries. Thanks for that. I have made many of your recipes, especially appreciate the ones you have downsized. Good thoughts coming your way from Rosemary in Ontario.


    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!