Monday 26 August 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




Knowing this to be true.  Every day may not be a good day, but I firmly believe that there is something good to be found in every day. We need to be looking at our days with the eyes of gratitude.  I have found that doing so gives my days more meaning and helps me to be a much happier person. It is not always easy, especially when things in life seem to be going pear shaped, but life is full of moments, both good and bad.  If we choose to focus on the good rather than the bad, we will reap the benefits.  Life is just better when we focus on the good.




Being a woman of faith. This has helped me immeasurably in life.  I know sometimes my faith can falter. It can be hard to have faith when you feel like you are sinking, but when I feel that begin to happen, I correct my course and focus.  I hand it all over to Him and ask for help.  I know . . . this idea of faith is not for everyone.  But it works for me.  He has never dropped me.  I have had to wait for answers to prayers many times, and things have imploded many times, but He has always helped me through it.  They say that God never closes a door but what He opens a window. My mother always said that. I know that to be true.



These two who fill my life (not to mention my sofa) with lots of smiles and loads of love.  I am so happy that I made the decision to get both of them when I did.  They are great companions.  We have our routine.  They are always happy to see me when I have gone out and then return home. It is nice to never return to an empty house.  To feel a warm body tucked in next to me when I am relaxing.  To have someone to play with from time to time, to talk to, to tell my secrets to.  I think pets are wonderful things and I would not be without one.


 


I am enjoying these last days of summer. I see bits of autumn starting to show up, but I am enjoying the warm sunny days without all of the humidity that we find earlier in the season, and the cooler nights which make sleeping much more comfortable.  These are easy days to cope with.  It was quite misty this morning. Mom always said that foretold a sunny day ahead.


 

Dinners together as a family.  I love being included in Sunday dinner with my dad, sister and Dan.  Its nice to be able to sit around a table together and break bread together.  To feel a part of something bigger than myself.  To belong somewhere.  To be and feel loved.


 

Days filled with meaning and purpose.  Staying busy.  I am grateful that I am a person who enjoys my own company, and puttering. I cannot say that I am ever bored, or feel lonely. I enjoy my own company and that is a gift. I can always find something to do.  I am blessed to be able to do that. I know. I am very grateful for my ability to be able to just putter and find joy in the process.


 

Routine.  My days are filled with routine for the most part. I find great comfort in routine.  It helps to give my days structure and meaning.  I am not a stickler for routine however, and I do not mind it being broken and switched out from time to time.  I am grateful that I am an easy going person who doesn't mind the odd intrusion of "something different" into my life.  My mother was very much a person of routine and found it very difficult to cope when something out of the ordinary interjected into her routine.  Me, I am a go with the flow kind of a person, and whilst I like having routine and purpose in my life, I also like the odd "shaking up" of things.  There is nothing so important about my routine that I cannot switch gears and flip my day into an impromptu direction.  An adventure of sorts. I do like adventures.


  


I will always be grateful for my father having taught me to love reading and books. This is a love that has served me very well in my life. I have gone places and seen things in my mind's eye that I never would have done so otherwise. I cannot imagine not being able to read. I love the written word.




The ability to see each day and appreciate it for the miracle that it is.  Every morning when I open my eyes I am filled with gratitude for having been given a new day.  Each day is a gift to me.  One that I like to unwrap slowly and savor every moment of.  The good, the bad, and everything in between.  

It is the rough moments that help me to enjoy the sweet moments all the more.  I am able to feel gratitude for both. That is a blessing in and of itself.

My life is a contented mix of these things and so much more.  I am content to have enough. My life is full.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *They say a person needs just three things
to be truly happy in this world.  Someone
to love, something to do, and something
to hope for.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Tom Bodett ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


Chicken Divan in the Slow Cooker


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Chicken Divan in the Slow Cooker, a small batch.  I have always enjoyed Chicken Divan. This small batch recipe is perfect to pop into the slow cooker early in the day, leaving you hands-free to get on with other things while it cooks. It is every bit as delicious as the conventional recipe. 


I do hope that you have a beautiful day. I slept in this morning, not waking up until gone 7 a.m. which is late for me. I must have needed it.  In any case have a great day and whatever you get up to stay safe, be blessed and don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

 

And I do too! 
 

4 comments:

  1. The cats look so content on the couch, such lovely housemates. How nice to have a sleep in, well deserved. It is going to be hot and humid for a couple of days, then rain predicted for Wednesday. August is in its final week. I know you will have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice for a change. But I don't want to make a habit of it! lol I like getting up early and getting more done! Its hard to believe we are at the end of August now! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have loved being able to read well more than anything!! One grandma was a teacher and would bring me the reading books she had left over from her classroom. How I looked forward to her doing that...and of course, I had already read all the books we had in school, long before entering the grade because Grandma gave me those books. Glad you had a nice dinner with your kin...very lovely.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to read has added immeasurable wealth to my life Elizabeth! What a lovely grandmother you must have had! We lived so far from our grandparents, we seldom saw them. It was a shame, that. hugs. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!