Wednesday 9 November 2022

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 



There was such a beautiful sunrise this morning that I just had to take a photo of it from my bedroom window.  Beauty shared is beauty multiplied.  I am so grateful for another morning to enjoy in my life.  Last night when I got into bed, I wasn't so sure. I was in so much pain. My arthritis was excruciatingly bad yesterday into last night. I don't think there was a part of my body that was not hurting when I finally crawled into bed at 8:30 and I'll be honest, there was a huge part of me that was just done with the pain. Pain is so wearing, but I slapped that part of me and here I am this morning. Still in pain, but grateful for another day. It only hurts when I move. 👍 The weather has turned a lot colder, and the cold seems to bring it on worse than ever. But hey, ho, it won't be cold forever, and this too shall pass. There are far worse things that people have to endure! 




Two Women, 
a Table, 
and a Smoke Detector.


Early last evening the quiet in my house was interrupted by a very loud beep. It sent the cats scurrying for cover, and then it happened again a minute or so later. I finally figured out it was the smoke detector. And so, I called my sister. For the whole time I lived in the UK I had a smoke detector that was replaced every couple of years by the local fire department and which had a built-in battery. I had no idea really that batteries needed to be replaced or even how to about it.  Also, I had never had to deal with it. It was always a man-job.  So, I called my sister. I told her the smoke detector was beeping. She said it probably needed a battery changing and would take a 9-volt battery.  I asked her if she could come over once Dan got home and settled and help me with that.  I was in so much pain and I knew it was beyond me getting on the step stool to do that.

On a side note, I really thought it worked on electrics.  DUH!

She came over and, what's more, picked up a battery for me on the way.  Above and beyond. I was so grateful.  All we had to do was change it. My step stool was not high enough so that she could reach it.  Neither was a chair, so we finally pulled the table over and she stepped onto that and was able to remove the old one and put the new one in. Problem solved! Whew!  I was so grateful.  I am so blessed to have a sister who is willing to do things like this for me!  

The beeping stopped, the cats were happy, and I was happy. Peace was restored to my kingdom. All is well.

 



I started reading this book in bed last night.  It was a recent purchase. We will be studying the New Testament in church next year and I thought I would enjoy it.  I love the scriptures, and especially the New Testament. I thought a deeper understanding of Jesus' parables would be a good thing to do. I basically just read the preface last night and had a bit of a "wow" moment. 

He was talking about the Parables and how they were a great opportunity for self-reflection, like being able to hold a mirror up to yourself and studying your own reflection.  He was talking about how at the last supper in the Upper Room, Jesus remarked to His disciples that one of them would betray him.

Matthew records, "And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, "Lord is it I?" 

Even Judas, who knew that he had already agreed to deliver the Savior to the Sanhedrin for 20 pieces of silver, responded as such.

From Gerald Lund, "I have come to believe that this is one of the primary reasons why Jesus taught in parables.  These simple but powerful stories hold up a mirror and give us an opportunity to take a good, long look at ourselves and ask; "Lord is it I?"

He went on to mention the parable of the Good Samaritan and the opportunity the story gives us to ask ourselves if we were one of those who were travelling on the road to Jericho that day, would we have stopped to help the man beset by thieves, or would we cross over and pretend that we had not seen him.

That was really food for thought for me.  

I thought about the many times I had, in the past, knowingly ignored the opportunity to reach out, or not answered my phone because I was busy and couldn't be asked to engage at that moment, or . . . well . . .  any number of things.  I probably was the person who would cross to the other side.  Just last week I had ignored a woman standing at the edge of the mall grounds in Greenwood holding a sign saying that she needed money to help feed her four children, telling myself that it was probably a scam.

Who was I to judge? I was chastised in reading these thoughts.  I need to do better.  It is not up to me to decide or judge who is worthy of my help or not. It is up to me to help . . .  when, as and how I can.

See.  Already learning and I am only on the Preface. I didn't like seeing that in me.  It has provided impetus for change. I can, will, and must do better.




I recently bought myself this sun-catcher on Etsy. It was advertised as a Vintage Stained Glass Sun Catcher.  A real bargain I thought.  It arrived yesterday and its quite nice. Definitely older.  But not real stained glass. Just an oval glass painted to look like stained glass. I should have known for the price it wasn't real stained glass, but it is nice, nevertheless. I will hang it up in my front window along with my birds.  It came with a suction cup hanger. It will brighten the place up a bit for sure! 


From summer 2021, but the only
photo I have with them
all in it.

I am really looking forward to seeing Doug and his family this weekend! I had thought I would not have a chance to see them before next summer.  I will finally get to see Jake. I saw Jon the first November I was back here, and then Josh last November, now I will get to see Jake as well!  The last time I saw Jake was 2 years old.  He is going to be 12 next week!  I am so grateful for this caring son of mine who always goes out of his way to let me know how much he loves me. 


 
Doug age 6 months

Its Doug's birthday next week as well. He will be 40 years old.  When Doug was born, he had a full head of hair. He never lost any of it. I remember taking him to a Christmas party on the base not too long after he was born and everyone marveling at his head of hair. He was always my quiet, thinking baby.  He was always very easy going, never making much of a fuss.  Right after he was born, they laid him on my chest, and I looked into his eyes. He was just quietly laying there looking back at me and I remember thinking, this is an old soul.   He is still an old soul.  Love him to bits, as I do all my children.

 

Really looking forward to the three "J's"

That will mean that this year I will have been able to spend some quality time with all five of my older grandson's. That makes me very happy to say the least! 

 

Remember when they were this small?

Lately we have been going back to bed for half an hour in the mornings for cuddle time. Why not? I have nothing pressing for me to do. Nutmeg delights on laying right down on top of me and he purrs, and he purrs as I stroke him.  Cinnamon usually lays on my feet. She is not one much for being stroked unless it is something she really wants.  She does like being brushed, however. I enjoy this quiet time, the three of us together with no distractions.



 




I finally managed to snag a bag!  I like these ones. They just taste better than the regular ones, and they don't turn your fingers and mouth all orange. 




 

It's a beautiful sunny day out there today, albeit cool.  Yesterday, my sister and I went to Kentville to her Doctor's appointment, and it was clear, but very windy. That wind seems to have calmed down today, and there is not a cloud in the sky.  I have a loaf of bread brewing in the Breadmaker to give to Cindy later on as a thanks for her coming over to help me out last night.  She will poo-poo it, but I want her to know how very much I appreciate her helping me always. Later today it will be fish and chips night at the Big Scoop.  The last few times I have had the fish and chips they have not been too bad. I am craving Chinese food, but fish and chips will have to do!  I am just grateful for the time to spend with my father. Hopefully I won't be in as much pain today as I was yesterday. We shall see!

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today!



° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *“It’s only just ‘round the corner,” 
said the faun, •。★★ 。* 。
“and there’ll be a roaring fire — 
and toast — and sardines — and cake.”
~The Chronicles of Narnia, 
C. S. Lewis  •。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。

Now that's a happy thought, except for the sardines.





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Danish Glazed Potatoes.  Something tasty for the upcoming holidays perhaps?

I hope that you have a fabulous day. Hope the sun is shining for you and all is right in your little corner of the world. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       

10 comments:

  1. It was a frosty, cold but sunny start to the day here. My arthritis has been really bad too, I take Advil 12 hr and it gives some relief. Some smoke detectors are wired to hydro, but most are batteries. Good habit is to get into changing them when the clocks change. If they ever do away with time change at lot of people will be messed up changing batteries. Enjoy the fish and chips tonight, it is the company that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time Linda! I like your idea of changing the batteries when the clocks change! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Yes it's so important to change those batteries. I usually do it in the Spring and again in the summer. My son that lives close by changes it for me. He is tall enough that he can reach it without a step stool. In the fall my maintancence men here in the community I live in do a heat check and they change it in the fall. I am thankful for all the helpers I have. Hope you feel better today !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am thankful for my helpers Pam! How wonderful you have a nice tall son nearby to help! xoxo

      Delete
  3. We arrived home exhausted one time at midnight from a long airline trip across country...and yep the stupid fire alarm was beeping...we HAD to deal with it at that time of night, super high ceiling or not...so we had to rig up a very unsafe bunch of stuff for hubby to climb on to get it unplugged...and then the next day called the owner...who was much taller and had a ladder, to come fix it!! I about had a heart attack while my husband was dangling around to get it unplugged however...scary!! Glad your sister took care of yours too!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for my family Elizabeth! I am well cared for! xoxo

      Delete
  4. It’s very exciting to have your family come and visit!….the sun catcher shows a lovely scene …we had rain all day yesterday, we need it here in Southern California…today is sunny and bright…how special to have dinner with dad and friends!….and everyone should have a Cindy, isn’t she WONDERFUL ?!!?!
    Happy day to you, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should have a Cindy V! She is AMAZING! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Here is a free pattern for the knitted slippers you posted a few days ago, and it even mentions having a basketful of slippers by the front door, just as you did. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/family-slippers-2?fbclid=IwAR0uUe56IqoI18nXEh1iHJv4uS2J3_3Ur_9tCsS2Sup0_BMw28-QIV4u81o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this Linda! You are amazing! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!