Monday 21 November 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 
  

 


This was about five minutes after I got home from church yesterday. I said to Glenna on the way home, the sky looks like we are in for something, and I was right.  Huge goose-downy flakes of snow started falling. So pretty to look at.  It had sort of stopped by the time I went to my sisters for supper, but we had had about 2 inches by then.  Last night it was very cold and windy, and you could see the snow blowing off the roof tops across the street. It is -5*C (23*F) and quite cold this morning. The weather ap says it feels like -13*C (8.6*F) I only know its friggin cold!  My heat pump is working overtime. I am so grateful I am in a house with a heat pump and warmth! They are calling for scattered rain and snow showers today. So, messy. Winter is in a hurry to start this year.

 


Sunday dinner at my sister's house with the family. Yesterday she made meatloaf. My sister makes the best meatloaf on the planet. She also had homemade mac and cheese, squash and the most delicious cauliflower/kale/corn dish. Supper was really yummy.  The best part was the company, however. Family times are the best of times. I am truly blessed with mine.





Being at church and being able to partake of the sacrament, to renew my covenants with my Heavenly Father, to take the Savior's name upon myself. This is such a sacred thing to be able to do. All those months during Covid Lockdown I wasn't able to partake of it.  I remember the first time I did, I cried.  I know that it probably has very little meaning to many people, but it means the world to me.

As I sit there listening to the prayers and pondering the Savior and all that He did for us, I feel such a sense of peace and gratitude.  Lately I have been pondering on all of the names of the Savior.  Prince of Peace, Wonderful Counselor, Bread of Life, Living Water, etc. when you think about it, He is known by many names, each one conveying something different, and yet, also the same thing. 




I watched this at the weekend. I had read the book.  It was very good. I thought it did a good job of portraying the story that was in the book. Everything was pretty tastefully done. I watched it on Prime.

Being able to sit on a comfortable sofa, cats nestled in around me, blanket over my lap, watching something I enjoy on the television. This is a special blessing. I am so lucky.



  



Where have all the gumdrops gone?  Long time passing. Where have all the gumdrops gone?  Long time no see . . . I have been looking for them so I could do a bit of Christmas baking.  It was the same last year. They seem to be quite scarce.  Hmmm . . .

Does anyone else have this problem?
 


 


I am thinking about putting my Christmas tree up this week.  I will put the tree up first for a few days before I decorate it and then see how the cats do.  Then, once they are used to the tree, I might start putting on a few decorations. We will see what happens. I don't want to spend the holiday season getting annoyed with them, so if it doesn't work, I will just put it away and enjoy my cats on their own.  Right now, they are sleeping.



 


It was so magical yesterday watching the snow fall. I thought back to when I was a child and would get so excited when the first snows of Winter came.  I would catch the flakes on my tongue. They tasted like ozone, or what I imagine ozone to taste like. They had a flavor, that's for sure. They also tasted of Christmas because I knew that the holiday season couldn't be too far behind, with all of its magic feels.  Personally, I love Christmas. It is my favorite holiday of the year.



Furry cuddles.  I love them. Both of them. They are so affectionate and loving. My life is full.

My days are very full actually. With this or that and everything in between. Nothing of spectacular import to anyone but me. Peace filled.  Comfortable. No drama much to speak of.  Not perfect by any stretch, but whose life is.  I feel blessed. That's all anyone can ask for.

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Winter is the time for comfort,
for good food and warmth,
for touch of a friendly hand 
and for talk beside the fire:
It is time for home.
~Edith Sitwell•。★★ 。* 。


 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Cranberry Jalapeno Salsa. Deliciously different!


I hope that your week ahead is filled with loads of small and wonderful things. May your cup truly runneth over. Be happy. Be blessed. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       














4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are getting some of the weather we had at the end of last week. Saturday was awful, snow squalls all day long, and COLD. I get gum drops at Walmart, Dare brand in the candy section. Your weekend sounds filled with love and fun. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out Walmart Linda! I had a lovely weekend, yes, filled with love and fun! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Loved the Crawdaddy book and movie too. The scenery was beautiful, wasn't it?
    Oh that view out your pretty window with the snow. Lovely.
    The Vermont Country Store has gumdrops if you can't find them anywhere local. But yes, quite expensive. Love the clove flavored ones especially!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stunning Mary. Aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful world! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!