Monday 7 November 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  





Having the family here for Sunday dinner. I cooked Mississippi Pot Roast. Everyone enjoyed it. Even my dad.  He doesn't usually go for new things. Dan really enjoyed it. That made me happy. When I was in the UK I used to daydream about one day being able to have my family over for dinner. Now my dreams are coming true. 




Luna's new dress. My sister did such a wonderful job on it. She is such an expert sewer. I need to sort out my sewing/craft/back bedroom so that I can sew a few things as well. I have plans, but somehow, I get derailed every day. It's that adhd of mine. I guess I should be glad that I finish what I do finish! 



The feeling of getting into bed when you've just changed all your bedding.  I love it. The sheets are all smooth and unwrinkled. Everything is so fresh.  There is no feeling like it.

Our beds were changed every Friday the whole time I was growing up.  Mom never had the luxury of fitted sheets, so the top sheet would be moved down to be the bottom sheet, and a fresh sheet got put on top.  Her reasoning was that the top sheet was hardly used so was good for another week. 

She had an old wringer/washing machine, and no clothes dryer. That probably had more to do with it than anything else. The bedding from all those beds made for a lot of washing and hanging out on the line! She hung the clothes out all year round.  Even in the Winter. Her poor hands must have gotten so cold.  I remember her bringing them in and hanging them up for a bit longer in the Utility room at the end of the day.  They would be frozen stiff. (The clothes, and probably her hands too!)

So grateful I had a good mother who worked hard to make sure her family was well taken care of.



I have had pause for reflection over these past days on all the miracles that have taken place in my life over these past few years. I have been incredibly blessed and surrounded by people who loved me enough to go above and beyond for me. I take none of it for granted. I have walked through the fire, been in the Lion's Den and I have come out the other side, a bit singed, but better, stronger, happier. I am a very blessed person and I know it.



Giving pause to laugh at and with yourself.  Laughter is good medicine. Eileen and I haven't been talking for quite a few months now, but we do message each other. She enjoys it when I take funny photos of myself and send them to her.  It's a start. 



Do you sometimes have prayers you don't give a voice to?  Perhaps because they feel selfish, or you think your needs are unimportant in comparison to the needs of others. Maybe you have needs you haven't even recognized, but He knows.  He knows everything. Beginnings from ends. He knows what we are going to need even before we do. Prayer is an amazing conduit. I pray multiple times every day. About everything. If I can't find something. I pray. I always find it. If a person's name pops into my head, I pray for them. I just pray. Almost continuously. Answers are coming, even to prayers unspoken. I keep my face turned before God, and He shows up, even when I don't specifically ask Him to. I am grateful for a God who knows when I need Him, even when I don't know myself. I have seen too much evidence of this in my lifetime to not know that this is true.



The simple things in life, are really not so simple after all. Our lives are built from a multitude of small and simple things. That's how you create a life. Small and simple things are the meat of our lives. Enjoy them. I do.



Companionship. I am never alone. They are the best roommates. Never far from me when I am at home. Usually next to me whatever I am doing. I am so appreciative of them. They are in the window waiting for me when I return from being away. On the other side of the door when I get up in the morning. Ever tuned into my moods. If I am sad, they comfort me. I love them so much.



Where would we be without it. 


And with that I will leave you with a thought for today . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Even in the darkest of night,
there is hope.
As the moon lights our path,
so does hope light our way.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today . . . Easy Garlic & Herb Rolls. Such a simple thing. So delicious.


I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things! Be happy. Be blessed. Don't forget! 


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 









8 comments:

  1. Happy Monday, enjoy the day and all that it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so true!! So happy for you that you were able to fix a lovely meal for your family!! THAT is a blessing to be able to do so!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! It was a blessing for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you and Eileen are messaging each other. Covid is still out there. We're off to grocery shop and I must remember to buy the dough to make your lovely biscuits. Have a good one. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the biscuits Elaine! Yes, we must all remain vigilant about Covid! I try not to stress about it, but one still needs to be cautious! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. What delightful roommates you have! I love fresh linens…happy I had a mother like yours…we are so blessed…I still iron my pillowcases. I say my prayers like you. Have a lovely week.
    xox, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like a freshly ironed pillow case to put your head down on V! You have a lovely week also! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!