Wednesday 16 November 2022

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Signs of Christmas are showing up everywhere.  I picked up Cindy and we went to Walmart yesterday morning. I wanted to pick up some flatter storage containers that I could slide under my bed, to hold things like my candles, etc. The store was filled with enticing things to buy for people. I always think the bath sets with all the creams and lotions and bubbles look good, so very prettily put together, but I am not sure how practical they are.

In thinking about gifts for others. I am a person who likes to give gifts with meaning I suppose. I like to think about the things I choose to give others and will not just buy a gift for the purpose of buying a gift. I want each thing I choose to be wrapped in love and heart strings, I guess. That is the feeling I am trying to convey when I choose to gift another, that I care about and love them.


 


It is the same when I purchase a card to give someone for their birthday or other occasion. I spend ages perusing cards just to find the right one. Sometimes that can be really difficult.  Especially when you are purchasing cards for people that you love and care about, but whom you know that the feeling is not reciprocated. Those are really hard cards to pick out.

Do I pick a card that has all the feels in it that I feel about them, or do I keep it generic??? I always feel that, if I pick a card that has all the feels, it will somehow come across as being insincere, and yet at the same time, I want them to know I care about them, no matter how, no matter what.

It is a great conundrum.


 

Back when the Government lifted the masking mandates, my daughter and her husband decided that they were no longer going to mask.  That's okay, it was their decision to make, but I did tell her at the time that I wouldn't be able to spend any time indoors with her until I, myself, felt it was safe to do so, not unless she masked or tested prior to spending time with me.  

All of her friends have had Covid in the ensuing months.  She, herself, has had two very bad colds and a very bad cough. She has never tested herself but remains firmly positive that she has not had Covid because she has never lost her sense of taste and smell. Her opinion is that it's okay if I (or my sister, or my father) get Covid because she knows many people who have gotten it and have not died of it.  So, it's okay for us to risk ourselves, and if we loved her, we would risk ourselves.

I know that two of my sons have come for visits in recent weeks. They tested prior to coming so that we would know everyone was safe, and I know that they take precautions in their normal everyday lives. They are not just willy nilly going here and there without any cares, rubbing elbows indiscriminately with the public.

She has decided over the last two days to have a go at me publicly on Facebook because of my views on Covid, and my unwillingness to compromise myself or my sister or father's health when it comes to our safety.  She has told me I am weird and thinks that if I truly loved her, I would be willing to put myself at risk, or risk passing covid onto those who are close to me, just so that she can come into my home unmasked and untested. My feelings on this matter apparently do not count.

I don't understand it. It is a simple ask. Wear a mask or test yourself if you want to get into my car or spend time indoors with me. It's not too big of an ask in my opinion. 



I've been rewatching "Anne with an e" on Netflix this week. These early episodes always make me cry.  When I think about what a sad life, she led prior to being adopted by Marilla and Matthew and when I see how very cruel and judgmental the other characters are towards her in these early episodes. I can really empathize with her. I know what it is like to be judged and made fun of for being different, to be ostracized because of it. I will always be grateful that there was no such thing as social media when I was growing up, because at least when I was at home, I could get away from it. I will never understand the need in some people to lash out and be cruel to others, simply because they are different. Surely it is our differences that make us and life in general much more interesting!



I watched Lilies of the Field on my Roku last night.  I had never seen the film before. I quite enjoyed it., although the song Amen is still running through my brain this morning, lol. Sidny Potier was such a fine actor. I loved him in "To Sir with Love."

I quite love these older films.  They seemed to be able to tell an interesting story without a lot of violence and gratuitous sex. 

Watching old movies was something my ex-mother-in-law had in common. She loved the old black and whites also. She would record them for whenever we would go over to the Island to visit her, and we would watch them together.

Do you like old movies? If so, what is your favorite one?  What is it about them that you enjoy?

My favorite one is a film called Our Vines have Tender Grapes, starring Edward G Robinson, Margaret O'Brien, and Agnes Moorehead. It tells the story throughout the year of a farming family in a small mid-western Scandanavian community prior to WW2. I guess it is the old-fashioned values that I love so much in it.



I got my package from the Vermont Country Store yesterday.  I had ordered two flannel night gowns from them. It was not cheap, but they are lovely. I dare say they will last me the rest of my life.  I washed them up right away and wore one last night. I was as snug as a bug in a rug. So soft and comfy.

Now all I need to do is to buy myself a new robe from somewhere. I do have a robe, but it is getting rather old, and I would like an update.

These old classics never go out of style, at least not with me. Maybe I am an old classic myself!


 

I am resisting the urge to put up my Christmas tree. I know that some others are doing it. I want to put it up early enough that my cats have plenty of time to get used to it, but I don't really have enough decorations to put onto it yet. I need to find a star or something to put on top.  I am not even 100% sure of where I am going to put it yet either. Christmas seems to be sneaking up on us too quickly again this year. Every year I say I am going to be better prepared and every year I am not. What's up with that!

Well, I have been wittering on long enough this morning. It is time for me to be on about my day, I guess!

A thought to carry with you . . . 



° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *The greatest thing you can give yourself
is freedom from what others think.
~Abraham Hicks  •。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today, Holiday Sides I can't live without


I hope that you have a splendiferous day!  Whatever you get up to be happy and be safe! Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  



13 comments:

  1. So glad the new nighties arrived and are cozy. Here in Ontario they are recommending the wearing of masks again, but no mandate. More people are wearing them again. We had our first snowfall of the season, not a lot, but enough to make it look wintery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do see a lot of people wearing them here as well, but there are still holdouts of course. If you don't want to wear one that is fine, but I want to protect myself and my family, as is my right also. No snow here! Just rain! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I wear mine, especially in crowded indoor situations. I'm not worried about what others think, out to protect myself. But when it is family that won't respect others wishes, that is a different situation. Stay strong.

      Delete
  2. Life seems plumb full of those sticky wicket kind of places...where it seems impossible to not offend someone somewhere somehow. Yea, I guess if we live long enough we too will experience some similar places to what you are or have been...but glad that you at least have had some very nice things happen such as visits from your sons and families!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that Elizabeth! I am so grateful for two sons such as the ones I have and their families too! You really cannot have it all! xoxo

      Delete
  3. So glad your nightgowns arrived.It was the first place that I thought of when you said you were looking for good quality products.
    Perhaps if you asked your daughter to think about this - if she truly loved you, she would never ask you to put yourself and family members at risk. Just a reversal of perspective.
    Just a thought. I am sorry that she is actually going on social media about this.
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. It's sad really. I think she is taking advice from the wrong people. For some reason I am low on the totem pole. My fault for having lived away for so long, I guess! Whoever said blood is thicker than water didn't know what they were talking about! lol xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love those Vermont Country Store gowns. They probably have a plush robe too, keep looking. I feel pretty prepared for Christmas this year. I'm taking the day off Friday, we have some banking to do and I'm going to have Keith pull my snowmen down from the attic to decorate, although I won't do it until after Thanksgiving. I'm working on doing a hot chocolate charcuterie board for our dinner at church (ostensibly for the kids, but who am I kidding). Much love and a few head bonks from my babies to yours. Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep looking, maybe after Christmas. Your chocolate charcuterie board sounds lovely Raquel! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh sweetie, I dare say you and I are Old Classics ourselves. Vermont Country Store sells fabulous classics, nice you got two night gowns, they will likely last a life time. I think airing family grievances on social media is just plain mean. Listen up Meghan Markle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind being an Old Classic Terra! lol I agree with you about
    airing family grievances on social media. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think old movies are the best movies and I just love them.
    My heart goes out to you over this awful Covid virus and all the unnecessary division it has caused…I’m sorry your daughter feels the way she does….so hard on mom and family. We all need to be more understanding and respectful ! I count my blessings there are Old Classics like me out there in the world. .. thanks for being one….yay for old movies and vintage and antiques! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" too but my all time favorite movie is "A Portrait of Jenny". It stars Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten. I love the old black and white movies of the 30s and 40s.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!