Wednesday 15 November 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 



This is my calendar on  my desk this morning. It is so apt. You know I try to live my life with gratitude.  When I flipped the page over, it made me smile.  Gratitude like faith is a muscle.  We all know what happens to muscles when we don't use them.  They get all flabby and weak.


I could hear a lot of noise from outside a few minutes ago. It sounded like someone yelling for help. I opened the door to look and see if anyone was in trouble. It was my neighbor Sheila and someone from across the highway.  Apparently the children across the highway were calling for their  mom and dad as the dogs were loose and traffic was just zooming by. Sheila had heard them and gone out to try to help.  All is well. The parents came and Sheila is now back in her house.  Its all go here on my little street this morning!



Cindy and I had fun snooping around the fabric store yesterday.  Here is what I bought. They don't show up as nice as what they are in real life, but that's not surprising. The light is appalling in here in the mornings. The stripe is a dusty rose and goes very well with the floral next to it.  The others two are of a plum shade.  The brown fabric has threads of plum and mauve running through it and the shirt print is a pale plum with a darker plum ditsy print on it.

We were looking for fabric with small prints on it. There was loads we likes, but you know.  You have to stick to your budgets, so this was it for me for now.  Cindy got several as well.  And we got threads to match.




See this binder?  It holds some patterns that I have been collecting  . . . it is my pattern binder  . . . 




My Blythe Pattern Binder . . .  I have been collecting them.  For clothes, hats, etc.  Cindy made a bucket hat the other day and it turned out really cute. I now have knitting patterns and all sorts. We hope to make a go of it over the next year. We will see what happens.   I know I am somewhat limited timewise, and probably talentwise as well. Cindy is the expert sewer.  She does an excellent job of everything she sets her hand to. I wish I had half the talents she does when it comes to this type of thing.  


She used to make the most beautiful Amish Dolls.




Nutmeg has discovered the heated floor in the bathroom.  I caught him all stretched out on it not too long ago. He was enjoying the warmth I guess.  I have caught him in there a few times enjoying it. This time I had my camera.  Cats do enjoy warm places as do dogs.  Cinnamon was stretched out under the air blowing from the heat pump, enjoying that at the same time, but when I went to take her photograph she moved.




They have to inspect everything that comes into the house. Nothing escapes their notice.  This was Cinnamon making sure that the sweet potato I brought home yesterday was alright. It was almost as big as her head!


I picked up some Christmas Cards yesterday, and birthday cards. I have a lot of family birthdays coming up over the next few weeks.  Cards, nice ones at any rate, have gotten so expensive. I used to make cards, but no longer have all of the equipment or facilities to do so.  I had a really good printer in the U.K. that I could print out art worthy prints on, and I had tons of scrap book papers, blank cards, etc.  Loads of paper punches, stamps . . . I am assuming they went to a good home. I am hoping they went to a good home.


I can't afford to kit myself out again like that.  That was years worth of accumulating craft stuff. All of my patterns.  Some of it I had taken over to the U.K. with me when I moved over there. I try not to think about it for too long or I get upset.  I suppose it is only natural, but then again, it is only stuff.


 

Now that Remembrance Day is over with all of the stores are really getting kitted out for Christmas.  Everything is looking very festive. It will be Christmas before we know it.  I have got all my cards now so I will soon start writing them.  I will probably start next week after Doug's visit.


I am really looking forward to having a weekend with Doug. It will be nice to spend this one on one time together. Its his birthday on the 23rd.  His was the only birth that I had ever been offered pain relief.  I had never had any with any of the others.  I took it gladly and so I was more aware of his birth because I was not distracted by any of the pain.  I can remember right after he was born they lay him on my chest. He was not crying, but looking up at me with these wise little eyes. He was always a thinker, right from day one.  He is such a kind, gentle and caring man. A good husband and father and son.


When he was really small he had a beautiful head of curls.  All over his head. Just like Shirley Temple.  So thick it looked like a wig. I cried when he got his first hair cut. I wish I had a photo of him with those curls, but alas, I was not allowed to take any photos when  my marriage broke up. (Long story. If I had had the courage then that I have now, and the knowledge, things would have come out very differently.)


Anyways, I have the pictures in my heart and that is where they count the most.


 

Cindy and I were noting yesterday that a lot of the trees are still holding onto their leaves and there are still leaves changing, still green. It seems to be so much later this year and we did not get as many of the vibrant reds that are usual.  We did have a very wet August and overall the temperatures, although seeming cold, are not as cold as they have been in the past.  I remember when I first returned from the U.K. and staying in the motel, there was a hard frost every single morning.  We have only had a couple of frosts so far this season and not hard ones.  Overall I do think the temperatures are warming.  There is no denying it.  We are expecting double digit temperatures for the weekend and then it will be going back down to singles on Monday.  That's nice that we should have warmer weather for when Doug is travelling.  I know he is a bit nervous about traveling on his own.  I will be praying him safely here and back.


 

I am going out to supper with my dad and Hazel tonight and then tomorrow I am going out to lunch with my friend Jacquie.  Dad is feeling much better he says. The shingles are not hurting as much.  The drugs seem to be doing their job.  I think he has a much higher threshold for pain than most people. He never seems to complain much and if he does, you can know that he is really in pain.  

Jacquie and I are going to a family restaurant out in the country that I have not been to for a very long time.  It will just be nice to spend time together as friends. She had called  me last week to go out for lunch but I had appointments so I couldn't go and so we arranged it for tomorrow. Jacquie is a widow and I know she misses her husband very much. Tom was a really nice fella.  He actually Baptized me some 24 or so years ago now. (July 8th, 1999) Time flies when you are having fun so they say!

And with that I best round this up and leave you with a thought for today  . . . 


A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。
 *.˛.Dwell on the beauty of life.
Watch the stars and see yourself
running with them.•。★★ 。* 。
~Marcus Aurelius•。★★ 。* 。
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 



Over in The English Kitchen this  morning I am talking about Thanksgiving at the Manor.  A lot of people are interested in things from that time. It was a whole other era now.  Anyways, I have supplied a menu and recipes, etc. A little glimpse of how the other half live.


I hope that you have a beautiful day!  Be happy. Be safe. Be blessed.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   



4 comments:

  1. Just the odd tree with leaves here, heavy frost this morning but the sunrise was beautiful, lots of red in the sky. Lovely new fabrics to use in sewing sessions with Cindy. Happy times with your Dad and Jacquie. I'll won't be around for a few days, surgery tomorrow, home on Friday. I'll have lots of catching up to do next week. See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close enough..maybe 1/2 hr.. we have Fabricville..you have to be a memeber to get better prices..I hate it:) I can get fat quarters at WM etc..that's about it.The states have so many options.Lots going on over there..have fun:)Everything is so expensive now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life gives oh so many "opportunities" to find ways to count what we have left, over what we lost, doesn't it? And I always say, in spite of my sadness over the lost things, I would still rather be the victim than the one who took from another. We won't have to deal with the inequities of this world forever, THANK GOD!! Hah...it gives me a laugh sometimes thinking that these silly people here who delight in building all kinds of boxes and fences for others will NOT find them in the next life I think...maybe unless THEY are then on the outside?? In hearing these stories of those who have died, they say that everyone there will feel all the grief and pain they caused others, as if it is happening to them then...what a way to learn!!
    Glad you have so many to go and do with...makes my head swim, I wonder how you can even keep track of have that energy!! But glad you have the happy times!!
    Hugs, Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not remember the exact quote I thought of when reading your blog today...found it: “Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left.” — Hubert H. Humphrey
    Hugs, Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!