Wednesday 1 November 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .



 

 So Halloween came and went. I think it is a wonderful way to end what is one of  my most favorite months of the year. It was a very cold night last night, but that did not deter the trick-or-treaters from knocking on my door. They started about 5:15 and were largely done by 7:30.  I gave out two boxes of potato chips and three of candy.  I guess I had about 100 trick or treaters. Most seemed to be older kids this year.  I love to see all of the costumes.  The parents dress up as well, which is nice to see.

I used to take my children out when they were of the age to go. My ex husband, as a military policeman, was always working on Halloween.  I did not mind.  I loved all of the excitement of it and seeing how people decorated their houses, etc.  I only had a few decorations out.  



 



Luke sent me a photograph of himself decked out for Trick or Treating.  That's the only costume I got to see this year. Gabe stayed home to play Dungeons and Dragons.  My daughter in law Kayla will probably post some photographs at some point.  I do not expect to see any from the other grandchildren at all.  But it was really nice to see Luke!  We are going to make a date to play Star Dew Valley together soon! I have warned him I am not very good at it!


 
 
 
 
 
 It is a very frosty morning here this morning with all of the ground being covered and the rooftops and even the truck across the way.  There is a snow warning in effect for later this day. But I know many places in the Maritimes have already had Snow, and Ontario as well. 
 
 
 


This was a photograph my daughter in law Anne shared with me last night of Fredericton yesterday. So they had quite a dusting.  It will not last, not yet anyways.




I got a package in the post yesterday from the U.K.  I had ordered something from an Etsy shop called Miss Pitchy Patchy. She knits vintage patterns.  It came tied up in brown paper with a string, and an old stamp on it.  



I had ordered a Miss Marple Scarf from her and it is beautifully knit. I am quite pleased with it.  They re those old style scarves that criss cross at the neck. I have wanted one for a very long time. I knew that I would never be able to knit one for myself, and so I finally broke down and ordered one.  I really like it!


 
I wish


They came and fixed the element on my oven fairly quickly yesterday. First the one maintenance man came and had a look, took a photograph etc. He said I might get lucky and they would have the part needed already, or worse case scenario, they would have to order one and that could be a week or so.  I had my fingers crossed.  He was back with his brother and the tools within an hour and had the part needed.   I was quite pleased about that!

Why is it so cringeworthy when they pull your stove out from the wall!  Always. Loads of dust and crumbs and in my case, bits of dry cat food and even a cat toy. I was able to sweep it up and its clean now, but the worst thing of all was they found a dead  mouse.

I tried hard not to freak out about that!  It was perfectly preserved and dry and quite stiff. He was holding it out like a kebab.  I suspect that the cats must have seen it and chased it under the stove and it died there.  I am surprised that they did not let me know, the cats that is.  I would have thought that I would have noticed.  In some ways I am glad that I did not as what could I have done? Not a lot!

I did not sleep well last night however, thinking about it.  Someone said to get a mouse repellent thing that you plug into a socket. Apparently they emit a sound that only mice can hear that repels them. I am  not sure about that.  What about the cats?

I would hate to spend the money on something like that and then not be able to use it.



 


It is very chilly in here this morning. I have the heat pump set at 20*C but maybe I need to turn it up a bit?  I only just discovered yesterday that I have heated floors in my bathroom!  I had no idea!  Its nice and cozy in there now for when I have my shower.  I can't believe it took me this long to figure that one out!  

In the meantime I am wondering what I should do with the dead mouse.  I have him in the garage wrapped up in paper towels.  Do I put him in the garbage?  The compost??  I am not sure.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day.  Cindy and I are going to make a quick trip out this morning and I want to get out and at em before the snow starts!

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Fill your paper with° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
the breathings of your heart.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~William Wordsworth° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •






There is a Vintage Menu Madness in the kitchen today with Swiss Steak, Fluffy Mashed Potatoes, peas and carrots and Thick Applesauce.  I made the applesauce with those new apples and it turned out beautiful with a lovely pink color and the taste was incredible!

 

I hope that you have a beautiful day. Happy first of November.  Stay safe.  Stay warm. Be happy and be blessed.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   



7 comments:

  1. Mousy should go in the garbage, most definitely not compost. I hate mice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to feel bad about a mouse in the house they seek shelter when cold.I would be freaked out if i found bed bugs like it is the rage in Paris right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had rain and snow last night, put a damper on trick or treating. We don't get any kids our way, which is fine with us now. So good they fixed the element in your stove quickly, as for the mouse, put it in the garbage. I made your salmon au gratin (with substitutes for my gluten allergy) from your big cookbook last night and it was really good. Enjoy Wednesday and your trip out before the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to get packages in the mail especially all the way from England. Your new scarf looks nice and cozy. Hope you don't get too much snow. Drive carefully. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect he had been dead back there long before you moved in. Surely you would have noticed the smell otherwise. You need a picture of you modeling that scarf! As for disposing of the mouse, I would just put him in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't waste your money on the mouse repellent that emit the sounds. We bought one for our garage and it never worked right and it wasn't cheap. Peppermint tea bags however do work. The nasty creatures do not like the smell of peppermint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just chop the dead mouse up and mix it into the cat's food. It's added protein and they like the variety.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!