Wednesday 22 November 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Hello!  I'm back!  I had a lovely few days with my son and can't wait to tell you about them! It was so nice to have this special time together. He left to go back home yesterday armed with advent calendars for the boys and three blankets all wrapped up (money cards hidden inside) for Christmas. We really did have a lovely few days together. We talked a lot. He played his guitar for me.  We hugged. We looked through all of my artwork. We cooked together. We visited his Aunt and Uncle together.  We had dinner with my sister and family. I took him out for a special Birthday dinner (its his birthday on Thursday) and we generally just really enjoyed each other's company.  Yesterday morning before he left he made us cheese omelets for breakfast.  It was so hard to say goodbye.  I so wish that he lived closer. I know how greedy am I!  For 20 years I tolerated a big huge ocean between myself and my children and now I am this close to them, I should not be so greedy. It is what it is!


 



I had ordered this outfit for Diadamy months and months ago from a seller on Etsy. It came from China and must have been on a slow boat.  I finally got it and I just had to try it on her and take a snap to show you.  It's an Alice outfit. You know how much I love Alice in Wonderland.  I just thought this was the cutest outfit. I know it is almost criminal to spend money on something like this, but I could not help myself.  As Flip Wilson often said, "The devil made me do it!" haha  In any case it is bringing me plenty of joy.  Diadamy's Christmas outfit has been put away for a few weeks while I enjoy this one. I will be bringing her Christmas clothes out again in time for the holidays.






Speaking of the holidays my wreath is ready to go and hang up on the outside door. I am liking it a bit too much inside though. It looks so pretty and festive. Maybe I should just keep this one inside and get another one for outside?  What do you think? Do people keep wreaths like this indoors?  I never have.  


There are lots of lovely evergreen ones about to hang outdoors.  Simple with just a red ribbon. That is what I had last year. Is it selfish of  me to want to keep this one all to myself indoors? Also for the pleasure of others who come to visit me though. Is it greedy to have two wreaths?


I don't really have a lot of Christmas decorations. I had lots of different nativity sets in the UK and I delighted in putting them out each year and my tree was a work of wonder for me.  So many glass blown ornaments, red toadstool, handmade felt ornies, gifts, etc.  That got left behind so, I suppose, if I want to indulge myself a bit then it should be okay.



Monday we had our first snow day of the season.  It was those big fluffy white flakes that you get, which you really can't see in this photograph.  Trust me when I say that they totally delighted me.  I was also grateful that Doug had decided to stay until Tuesday. I was relieved that he wasn't going to try to drive home in snowy conditions.  Of course it did not stay, the snow  . . .  but yesterday after Doug left to go home, I went to the store with my sister and one county over they still had snow, on the rooftops and everything. I have always found it a great mystery that the weather can be so dramatically different only a few kilometers away.



When Doug and I were going through my box of artwork, we found some photographs that had been stashed in with it.  This is a photograph of my father when he was 17 years old and first in the Military.  He was so young to be away from his home and family. The furthest he had ever been away.  When he first joined up they did not have a uniform for him because he was too small. They had to have his uniforms specially made for him.  I suspect he had not really finished growing yet. I know his parents had to sign for him to join and for before he met my mother he used to send most of his paycheck home to his parents to support them.  I think that is why they signed for him to join. They were a very poor family, and every little bit of support helped.



I also found this photo. This is me as a baby. I think I might have been six months old here. My parents look so tired, lol.  I was a baby that cried continuously. A real crybaby.  My poor mother.  She always looked so elegant, even here.  I love that in the old days people dressed up.  Occasions were occasions.  We have become very lax and lazy now.  

I can remember the very first times I flew on an airplane. You dressed up to go on an airplane.  Flying was an occasion not an everyday occurrence.  It seems these days I only dress up to go to church. People are much more casual these days. I suppose that is a good thing in many ways, but not so good in others.



The cats really enjoyed Doug's visit. When the boys are here they were a lot more nervous. So much noise and activity. With only Doug they really warmed to him and Nutmeg was spending a lot of his time sitting, laying, etc. next to Doug. Doug took this nice photo of him sitting under the coffee table looking at him. Cinnamon was a bit more aloof.




I got to enjoy some Chicken McNuggets this weekend. Don't judge. I like Chicken McNuggets. I had not had any since before Covid.  I enjoyed every naughty bite. I hope I don't have to wait another four or five years to have them again.  I feel guilty for liking them so much, but I don't apologize for it. The heart wants what the heart wants, and some days this heart wants Chicken McNuggets.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day.


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.  Deep within each of us
is a longing for home.
We yearn for a place of comfort
where we can be ourselves,
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
where we can realize our dreams.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Denise Linn
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Crispy Gingersnaps.  Incredibly moreish.

I hope that you have a lovely day. It is quite crisp and cool here this morning with a heavy frost.  Linda, I hope you are recovering well from your operation. I have been praying that you will.  Everyone be safe and be happy and don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════



And I do too!










12 comments:

  1. So happy you had such a lovely visit with Doug. And no it's not selfish to keep your beautiful wreath and cute hanger in the house. Enjoy it. And as for chicken nuggets, you go girl. I love Diadamy's "Alice" outfit. So cute. And I'm lovin' her velvet hairband with the bow. Enjoy the rest of your week. No doubt you'll want to rest a bit after your whirlwind weekend. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine! I had been starting to think I would never get the "Alice" outfit. The hair band is really sweet. It is all really well made. Looks perfect with her red boots! (Thank YOU!) I am a bit pooped for sure, but I will recover! Today I have been doing laundry, etc. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. I'm excited he left with blankets:) I always wanted to make some for my boys..not sure they still have them lol sooo many blankets in one of the homes..Both families are blanket lovers..Bed..tv etc..Happy for you..This visit sounds just perfect Marie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to part with them. My place looks empty now, but I am working on more and eventually I will do some just for me! It was a lovely visit Monique. I think we both enjoyed it very much! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Yes it's greedy to have two wreaths, especially since there is a wreath shortage. Lots of people have gone green, and make wreaths out of foil and candies, much more planet friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one here is one that I can reuse year after year after year. I am afraid it I put it outside the elements might destroy it and it will end up in the landfill. I was going to use a real one for outside.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I came through the surgery just fine, a bit down on the first 2 days, but once all that heavy medication was out of my system I felt better. The exercises are a struggle, knew they would be, but they are so important. My first physio session is in just a little while, hoping I'll get some hints and tips for doing the exercises properly. Sounds like such a lovely visit with your son. What pleasure the new outfit of Diadamy gives you, worth the wait. I think 2 wreaths is a good thing, not greedy at all, enjoy one inside and put one outside. I have 2 outside, and probably 1 for inside. Have a lovely day, I'm off to do some more exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be putting one outside for sure Linda. It will be a real one with branches. People make them to help earn an income for themselves and I don't really see them as having harmed the environment. They will be composted afterwards. I did have a wonderful visit for my son! It was lovely! Keep up the good work with your recovery! I know its hard at times and painful, but it will be worth it in the long run! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Lovely visit you had and so happy for you!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear of such a lovely visit …for you both and all the family! Oh, those blankets, what lovely gifts…especially made from your hands…and some extra goodies…the boys will be delighted. I think everyone should have lots of decorations ..whatever makes you happy! Have a wonderful day and stay warm. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be like a nice warm hug for each of them! Thanks V! Hope you are having a lovely week! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!