Saturday 4 November 2023

All Things Nice . . .

 

A lingering touch of summer in the air,
As if she waited with reluctant feet,
Like a young bride fearful to be wed,
Here Lady Autumn loiters by my street,
Touching the trees with little dusty hands,
Spreading her mantle over all the lands.

Beside the road the golden rod are waving,
Like helmet plumes caught in the morning light,
The corn is tall . . . the fields are checkered green
Far in the blue an airman wheels in flight,
Small as a bird he climbs the sky's vast dome,
Like a bright spirit slowly winging home.

A farmhouse stands four-square beside the road,
Its stone foundation strong as armoured steel,
It looks serene and safe and filled with peace,
Like an old ship that rides on an even keel,
Breasting the seas of Life in storm and shine,
Its old rooms redolent of fir and pine.

And all about the golden sunlight falls
Still as the grave and bright as jasper walls.
~Edna Jaques, Fall
Roses in December, 1944

"God gave us memories,
that we might have roses in December."

I sometimes wonder when I read my poetry books by Edna if she could have ever imagined that one day a little girl would grow up loving her words as much as I do.  She seems to speak to the heart of the human experience in a quiet and humble way. She speaks of common, simple things, things which are very dear to my heart. Of hearth and home, faith and country, simple values that never fade nor go out of style. I do so love to share her words with you.  I hope that you have come to love them as much as I do.


 

And now I want to read the rest of the story beneath the leaves  . . .  who is Phoebe and who is the mistress of the house . . .  I want to read about bright teakettles, cheerful things . . . finding joy, old stuff of Puritanism with a gold thread . . . 

They tease me with tiny glimpses that make me want to know more.  Sigh  . . . 


 

Have you seen the new Beatles Video. Its on YouTube.  I only just stumbled onto it and I love it. Made possible only through the wonders of modern technology.  I have always loved the Beatles.  My favorite Beatle was George.  I know everyone liked Paul, but there was something about George which spoke to my heart. He seemed quiet and thoughtful, maybe even kind.  I do not know if any of those things are true of him, but I like to think that they are. 

The Beatles music is what was popular during most of the formative years of my life.  I can remember watching and falling in love with them with their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I might have been 8 years old.  A girl at school told me that they were her best friends and that they came to see her every weekend and if I wanted her to, she would ask them to come and see me also, the very next weekend.  My mother could not get me to go anywhere when the weekend rolled around.  I was so certain that the Beatles would be coming to visit me.

That was my first experience with deception. The very first time in my life that my trust would be betrayed. It would not be the last.

I can remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that John Lennon had been shot. Up to that point I had always hoped that the Beatles would one day reunite, but alas, with that moment I knew that they never would. But here, today, miracle of all miracles . . .  one last song.


 

Although it has been very cold, we have not gotten the show this week that was predicted. Just as well as I am not really ready for the snow.  It is so pretty and exciting, that first snowfall . . .  but you  know  . . . it ushers in the really cold weather and I seem to feel it more now that I am old than I did when I was much younger.  The cold weather. It gets into my bones now and makes my arthritis so much worse.  That is the part of Winter that I really do not like.  Nor the driving in it either. But there is not much more beautiful than the first snowfall that sticks.  It turns our world into a marshmallow world.  Soft and muffled . . . quiet and pristine.

I wonder at the little footprints of the birds in the snow.  Those tiny little feet and legs. However do they survive the cold and the snow. Nature has a way of making it so that they do.  

I really feel for the homeless at this time of year. There should not be anyone on this earth without a roof over their heads, but this is the plight of many poor souls, for whatever reason. My heart goes out to them and my prayers.  I think to myself . . .  there, but for the Grace of God . . .  go I.

I will never take the blessing of having a roof over my head for granted. Never.

I have heard it said that if you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back, food in your belly and clean water in your cup then you are amongst the 2% . . . the richest people in the world.  

Rich is a matter of perception. May I always be able to look at my life with eyes of gratitude and see the abundance that is mine.


 

Is it time yet?  When is the proper time to start thinking about these things. About decorating and wrapping, buying and writing out the cards. Each year I say I am going to start these things earlier, and then I don't and I get caught up in the last minute rush.  This year.  Will it be any different? I have picked up a few bits and bobs.



I found the cutest wreath holder.  I got it at Walmart. I have always wanted a wreath holder.  I have always wanted to have a wreath on my door all throughout the year, but most especially at Christmas. Last year I did get a small evergreen one with a red bow at the local grocery store, but I didn't have any way of hanging it. This year I will.  By means of this cute holder.


 


Some props to be used for my Christmas baking on the food blog. A small cookie plate a mug and a little ceramic house that lights up. 





Also a little tin Santa's mailbox and a plaid tin with a bow.  I am not sure how I will use them, but I will use them somehow. Best laid plans and all that  . . .  hope springs eternal!






These are the cutest things.  I don't think they would last very long here. The cats would probably have them down on the floor playing with them in quick time. They are very curious every time I bring something into the house.  It all has to be inspected with a fine tooth comb. Not much passes their notice to be honest.  They see it all.




I try to live my life this way. I think life is just better if you run at it from this angle. To believe the best of people rather than the worst.  To forgive because you know that people are, for the most part, doing their best. To let go of things that hurt and serve no purpose in your present day life.  To always have faith in a God who has a purpose for you and who knows the end of your story.  To be a person who uses the bad things that happen in our lives to strengthen and build us rather than destroy us.  I am not perfect by any stretch and I have my "boo-hoo" moments, but thankfully they are few and far between and I am blessed enough to have had the stamina thus far to pick myself up and shake myself off.

It is hard to believe but in the next few days it will have been three whole years since my life fell apart.  A lot has happened since then. I have been uplifted and strengthened in ways I never thought possible.  I truly have been blessed.


 

My friend Jacquie is always trying to convince me not to give up on the idea of romance in my life.  Even though I have told her a bazillion times I am just not interested at this stage of my life in ever being with anyone in that way ever again.  She texted me late the other night " Pretty pleasant, 😊Loving fellow who needs a cook and you fit the bill."  With two roses at the end.

First of all, I am still married and not looking for anyone else.  Second of all, I have enough to cook for and take care of myself. I am not ever wanting to cook or care for anyone else. (selfish I know) and Third, thanks but no thanks!

I am not lonely. I do not lack male companionship. I have a very full life and I don't need anyone else to complete it.  I don't think I need a man in my life.  I don't want a man in my life. I have enough work on my plate without adding to it. I am just not, nor will I ever be, interested.  And I can say that unequivocally. Just not going there ever again. But it is kind of her to think that I  might be. I am very content with my life, just as it is.


And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day as time is a-wasting and I have miles to walk, or that I want to walk, before I sleep!


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★•。★★ 。* 。
 *.˛.Seek not outside yourself.•。★★ 。* 。
Heaven is within.•。★★ 。* 。*。*˚
Mary Lou Cook•。★★ 。* 。*。*˚
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。


  


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Applesauce Spice Cake with a brown sugar Penuche frosting. Oh my but this is some good!  It is a small batch recipe.

I hope you have a beautiful weekend!  Whatever you get up to I hope it brings you joy, peace and happiness. Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

10 comments:

  1. Relationships...even the best of them have hard places it seems. Yes, as one ages, seems to me that it would be most difficult to marry again...it would involve a lot of changes that might be too energy sapping to do. Plus at our ages, one could become in a short time, a 24/7 caregiver, which believe me, is very hard indeed!! But nice of your friend to think of you too!! Ah spice cake...very yum in the pre-diabetes days.
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, relations can be really hard to navigate Elizabeth! I have been married three times, still married to the third and I have no desire to start again with anyone new. I am just going to enjoy my life now! And yes, the idea of becoming a caregiver to someone else is not that appealing to me! That is a really high likelihood at this age in life! No thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I don't think you are married at all.
    Truly.He went against every law of marriage.You did everything for him

    If you meet someone and feel like dating if you meet someone nice..go for it.
    Not sure I would marry again ..just a companion that lives in his own house.
    Actually positive you should not marry again:)
    Your life is far richer here.
    I mean even all your little treasures..I know material things are not important but you could never buy your props and fun things there.
    If he had been good and kind..different story.
    If someone wants to be a great companion and gets along with your family lol and has his own house;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I don't think I would ever want to even live with any man again. I am too independent and enjoy my own space too much! I just am not in that space where I am feeling the need to have anyone, even to date! I am enjoying doing things with my sister and having all that selfish "me" time too much! I do have a very rich and full life just as it is! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I admire you posting every day, I am lucky if I get one post a week on my website. I included a link to the salmon au gratin which I made this week. I really enjoy reading the poems you post each Saturday. I loved the Beatles growing up, my grandad used to send me their comics each week. Oh how I wish I had saved them all. I have done quite a bit of Christmas shopping, no decorating yet though. I'm trying to get the shopping done before my surgery date, as I know I won't want to do it afterwards. It is a drippy and dull day here. No drying laundry outside, probably not any more till spring. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, I do so hope your surgery goes well. You seem pretty fit so there shouldn't be much of a problem. I will be keeping you in my happy thoughts and prayers for a quick and total recovery! It is sunny and crisp here today. I have gotten some shopping done, but not a lot! I never know what to get for my Brother in law! You have a lovely weekend also! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Lovely poem…I loved George also…fun things from the old Walmart…oh, that cake! It’s a gift to be content and happy with your home and your life…one that you enjoy and appreciate…and share with us…counting our blessings is good way to live❣️
    Happy Saturday. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! The more people I talk to the more I see that George was probably one of the most popular Beatles! I know you are a blessing counter also! Happy Saturday! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Life can be very fulfilling when you are on your own. When my husband died, I said never again. We had a wonderful marriage but I wanted the freedom to be myself for once in my life. However, I met a gentleman whom I dated until he passed away. As much as I enjoyed his company he got too 'close' for me and I ended up rethinking my decision to date. So if you do decide to, go into it with caution and make your own decisions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not missing male companionship at all Latane! I enjoy being on my own far too much! ((((hugs)))) xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!