Monday 13 November 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





Someone to keep me company. Love these two furry felines who keep me company most admirably. I wish that I could have them sleeping on my bed at night, but they seem to see bedtime as play time, so although I do try from time to time, it is very short lived. They are great companions the rest of the time however and I love them. Yes, we do talk to each other as well. They are right at the door to greet me and bid me welcome when I come home after being away. Nutmeg reaches up to me and draws me close and then administers a kiss. Its really sweet actually.  Having a pet(s) really adds a wonderful dimension to life.




My desk calendar for the day says "the most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~E.F. Cummings"   I agree. A good dose of laughter is great medicine for any day.   I love a good giggle.





Well poor old dad has shingles. He went to get his Booster shot yesterday and the Pharmacist had a look, told him he had shingles and gave him a prescription for the anti-viral meds. So hopefully he will be feeling better soon. He was not able to have his Booster shot. I am so grateful for a system where he was able to get seen to in this way. We have no local emergency room at the weekends, well most of the time.  People have to go all the way up to Kentville and then sit for ages.  They recently started a walk in clinic at the Shoppers Drug Mart in Greenwood where you can be seen for minor ailments and the Pharmacist can see to you. This was a special blessing yesterday. It would  not have been very good for Dad to have had to go all the way to Kentville and sit in emergency for hours and hours feeling as he did.  For sure Dad is making his 89th year one to remember, what with having had Covid and now Shingles.  Lets hope this is the last of his ailments for the year!

Grateful today for  modern medicine and tender mercies.





Sunday Romantic Movie Night.  This week I decided to watch You've Got Mail, Its a sweet movie.  Really dated now in so many ways, especially the type of technology.  Back when dial up was how you got online, etc.  That familiar sound of the computer dialing, etc.  I used to hate it when it took so long and kept making that connection sound.  There would almost be an audible sense of relief when it finally connected. Whew!  Anyways, a cute, cute movie. Love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.  They were really cute in this.  

I also watched The Family Man with Nicolas Cage this weekend. Who says I can't start watching Christmas Movies in November!  Its the only way I am going to get through them all!



 

Going to church on Sunday mornings and partaking of the Sacrament. Renewing my Baptismal Covenants. Taking the Savior's name upon me.  I love these Sunday morning rituals and being where I need to be on Sunday mornings.  It is where I want to be on Sunday mornings. I have always seen church on Sundays as a vital recharge to my battery each week. It is an important part of  a day very much dedicated to slowing down and the Lord. This week I drove Glenna instead of it being the other way around.  Funny, we live across the street from each other but we only actually spend time together on Sundays. We both get busy during the week and the time just flies by. It is good to have Sundays to slow down.

My friend Christine taught a great lesson in Relief Society yesterday based on this talk by Elder Ulysses Soares Talk from the last Conference.  It is always nice to be able to get together with others and discuss spiritual things, get other perspectives, share special thoughts and feelings.

This Branch that I attend here in NS is a very small branch. Much smaller now than it was when I  left here to go to the U.K., but it is a very loving and kind group of people.  I can remember it being here when I was a teenager. So there has been a congregation here for a very long time.




Sunday afternoons with Music and the Spoken Word.  This is the world's longest running live broadcast. I watch it on YouTube every Sunday afternoon. The music and the thoughts are wonderful.  It adds a special dimension to my Sundays.  Always nice. Its a lovely way to invite the spirit into the home on a Sunday afternoon. 

I remember going to see it in person with my friend Lura and her family in 2009 when I was in Utah. It was held in the Tabernacle and was a wonderful experience. That whole trip was!




Sunday dinners with Cindy and Dan and Dad.  Yesterday we had a lovely ham dinner. (Not beef.) It is such a wonderful thing to be included with family and enjoy being together like we do. I missed this type of thing the whole time I was overseas.  I used to long for these occasions. It is an extra special blessing to be here now and to be able to enjoy being with family like I do. I love my family so much!

My life sure has been filled with a multitude of blessings. It is rich and full. I could not ask for any more than what I already have, which is more than enough. To have enough is good, to have more than enough is a special abundance that I am more than aware of. I am truly blessed.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。
 *.˛.There are things known, 
and there are things unknown,
and in between there are  the doors.
~Aldous Huxley•。★★ 。* 。•
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。




I baked the most beautiful loaf in my Bread Machine at the weekend.  Warm & Cozy Pumpkin Bread. I was really pleased with how it turned out. It has a beautiful scent and a wonderful texture.  I will be making this again! 


I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance.  Be happy, be safe and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   




8 comments:

  1. I hope your dad feels better soon..J had them twice:(Once yrs and yrs ago and more recently.I recently borrowed Billy Cristal's book from Libby and honestly when I got to the part about fat people ..I was apalled.Jokes like that aren't funny..Just saying.So I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why people think it is okay to bully fat people. That is what it is bullying. They wouldn't do the same thing to anyone else, but, you are right it is appalling. I have not heard of the book and won't be looking for it! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I like the movie "You've Got Mail" too. I just watched the movie "The Wedding Date" with Debra Messing and Dermot Mulrony. It's excellent, too, and it has a happy ending. I'm so sorry your dad has shingles. I know how painful they can be. Hope he's better soon and can get his booster shot and flu shot. Take gentle care, Marie. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto). PS your pumpkin loaf looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for that film Elaine! Love both of those actors! Shingles are the worst. When I had them I thought I had broken my arm! I hope dad doesn't have to suffer for too long. Love and hugs to you also Elaine! xoxo PS I hope you will try the pumpkin loaf!

      Delete
  3. Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery, glad the pharmacist was able to give him something to ease the Shingles. I've been watching the W network and the Christmas movies. It is a sunny day, but chilly. I've got a pot of chicken soup simmering away, smells so good. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda! I hope he doesn't have to suffer for too long. Not long now til your op! I am keeping you in my happy thoughts! Chicken soup sounds really good on a cold day like today! xo

      Delete
  4. Hope your father feels better soon. There are many reports and evidence that links Covid vaccines with shingles outbreaks, and since the implementation of widespread vaccinations and boosters, the numbers of people sick with this virus have increased greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything about that. I know that you can get shingles if you have had chicken pox as a child. Shingles comes from the same virus as chicken pox and this is a virus that stays dormant in your body for years. Stress can bring it on. I had Shingles back in 2017 I think it was and they were really painful. No Covid or vaccines then.

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!