Wednesday 22 December 2021

yada yada yada . . .

 

  

Well, it is pretty much going to be a locked down Christmas again this year. My son definitely is not coming over and they have shut church down for at least the next three weeks. My daughter Eileen is very upset with me because I said we may have to cancel our get together for Boxing Day and postpone it for a later date.  I was not saying we wouldn't do it, but just that it might be prudent not to do it now.

Our numbers here in Nova Scotia are higher than they were way back when the Virus was first making its rounds. I just want us all to be safe.  I can understand her being disappointed. I am disappointed too.  But the fact of the matter is this.  The other night her husband was out with his friends and yesterday he was again out with another group of people.  No masks or social distancing. It is not that I don't want to see my daughter, but that I am not willing to put myself, or my sister, Dan and my father at risk, especially now with this new variant that is making the rounds.

She said well we can't do it the next week because on my Birthday I am going to Bible Study and then we are at our friends in Halifax for such and such a three day period.  She was quite cross with me I'm afraid.

I know she is developmentally challenged. I make allowances for that.  But I find it distressing that she can't understand that it is not that I don't want to see her, but only that I want us all to be safe.  


 

She reiterates that I just need to have faith, that God will keep us safe.  I say bad things happen to good people all the time. I am not going to jump in front of a bus, thinking that I am immune to all the bad that is out there and that God will keep me safe. God also helps those who help themselves and we are meant to take precautions to help keep ourselves and our loved ones safe, even if that means we have to make temporary sacrifices.

Yes, I do believe in modern day miracles and have been the recipient of some of them, but that doesn't mean I can be fool-hardy.

I suppose I am extra sensitive . I don't like disappointing my children.  Especially where I already have two that have cut me out of their lives. There is always that fear with me that the others will as well, however irrational that might seem to some people.  I always thought blood was thicker than water as well.  Apparently it is not, and you can be replaced.

So I am really hoping and praying that she will be able to understand, that in the long run it is for all of our good. 

She said to me, but you and Aunt Cindy go to the grocery store.   . . . 

I said, yes we do, but we are in and we are out. We don't sit down, take off our masks, socialize and share a meal with people in the grocery store, breathe in their air, etc.  We get what we need. We sanitize our carts. We wear masks. We sanitize after we leave, etc.


 

Tim will have a temper tantrum when he finds out, she said.  I said, I don't bow to temper tantrums and Tim is why I have made this decision. He is the one who goes out and about socializing with others willy nilly. I just can't and won't take the risk.

I really hate this virus and I hate what it is doing, the social implications of what it is doing, the families it is tearing apart, the holidays it is ruining.

But . . .  we have to do what we have to do. In the end it will be worth it.  Hope springs eternal.

They are going to his parents on Christmas Day. At least that is their plan. Her father is not having them over. He told her maybe in the New Year.  She is okay with that.

Why am I the only who who disappoints, or who can do wrong???  Its the same old story. This too shall pass.

Sorry I am feeling a bit low this morning.  Tomorrow is a new day.  In the meantime I do know that God loves and cares for us. I really do. This is just a temporary blip. We must do what we have to do and do it for the greater good. To do anything else is just wrong, no matter how it makes us feel or how it disappoints.

In the meantime  . . . know that 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!



10 comments:

  1. Oh, Marie. I can feel your upset. I'm so sorry this darn Covid has turned your Christmas plans upside down. But you must stick to your guns and do what you feel is right. What if Eileen and Tim took a rapid Covid test before coming over? Are the tests hard to find? They were giving them away here in Ontario at the liquor stores but rapidly ran out of them. Be at peace, Marie. This too shall pass. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wouldn't talk to me yesterday. I am hoping she will today. I haven't seen any rapid tests here, but I will look. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. I hate this virus too, and it just seems to go on and on. People at our ward here in Utah don't even wear masks or socially distance any more. We go to church but wear masks. We haven't been to the temple for a long time (since last summer) again because people were not wearing masks and you really can't socially distance in the temple. So sad. I get how you feel about your children. I don't hear much from my oldest three, which has broken my heart. They were not raised the way they are acting. I won't see any of the oldest three over the holidays. We have some travel planned, but a big snow storm is coming here over Christmas weekend and the week following, so who knows what we will end up with. You will be in my prayers that your daughter will be understanding. Take care. Virtual hugs from Utah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel what you are saying Deb. I don't know if people are just tired of the whole thing and giving up or what. But I think if we can all just prevail then in the long run things will improve drastically so we can get back to a new normal. Love and hugs and stay safe wishes, and thanks for your prayers. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Things are getting bad everywhere. I think we need to do what is needed to keep safe. This is not what we want to do but what we need to do. Best they say to have those tests to make sure you are covid free before getting together with family. Maybe that would work for them and for you. One way or the other if our family is healthy and safe, it will be a Merry Christmas for all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to look for those quick tests Pam and see what I can find! Thanks for the suggestion. You are right, healthy and safe is a Merry Christmas for all! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Marie~

    I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I pray that she will soften her heart and try to understand how you feel. After having the virus, and after being so extremely ill with it, I would do the same thing. Like you, I am also a woman of faith, but God does expect us to help ourselves as well, and to use our common sense and not be reckless. You are making a wise choice, Marie.

    Hang in there only a few days left. XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Barb! I hope you are both feeling a lot better. God does help those who help themselves! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. I have never had anyone that totally agreed with me, or approved of me, other than one set of grandparents. NEVER!! But it is indeed so very hard to have to tell anyone no, in order to protect the more vulnerable. Being selfish is easier for more humans...than to deny themselves. Part of the time we live in I think. I hope things will smooth out in time. This plandemic has caused us all a great deal of grief. I am NOT convinced it is caused by just 1 cause...I think one day when the whole truth about it comes out, we may all be very angry indeed. Meanwhile, we have no choice but to stay secluded and live as hermits. At least so far we still have email, skype, phone, and other ways to communicate. And let us not forget, there is nothing wrong with cards, notes and letters either. Maybe if you tell your daughter you will bring her some of your yummy food...will that suffice? Blessings mom...doing what all moms must do these days!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with cards, notes and letters for sure Elizabeth. I am going to bring her some food and her gifts and hopefully she will be happy with that. I know we are all disappointed for sure. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!