Saturday 18 December 2021

All Things Nice . . .

 
(source

Christmas Toys

A little dappled horse, a scarlet ball,
A wooly lamb . . . a doll with sleeping eyes,
A small white angel for a Christmas tree,
A Christmas stocking with a bulky prize.

Red mittens on a string . . . a pair of skates
A toy balloon to drift above the house
Tinsel to glisten in the candle light
A little scarlet coated Micky-mouse.

A set of dishes for a little girl,
With tiny brier roses here and there,
A locket on a golden chain,
New patent leather shoes for her to wear.

O crisp December gay with mistletoe
Holly and cedar hanging on the door,
Old folks to love . . . carols to sing in church,
And little children to buy presents for.
~Edna Jaques, Roses in December  

 

Yesterday my sister was telling me how her cats liked to listen to cats meowing on YouTube. So, last night when the cats and I were sitting here, I looked for them and put them on.  They listened to them for a few minutes, but really could care less. Then I discovered this channel where they play all sorts of birds and animals, chirruping, coming to feed, etc.  



Nutmeg noticed first. He woke up out of a deep sleep and before I could say Jack rabbit he was watching it with intent from where he had been sleeping in the crows nest on top of the scratching post.



Next Cinnamon noticed it, from her perch on top of the back of the Lazy Boy chair. They were both mesmerized. 




And here they are this morning, watching it with the same rapt attention, although Nutmeg has now moved to the front window preferring instead to watch the leaves prance by in the wind. Cinnamon is now laying down and watching the television from the edge of the carpet. I think she would love to be chasing them in real life.  Every once in a while she moves in an effort to try to figure out how to get up there.   She has always been the hunter, chasing spiders and fruit flies, etc.  Nutmeg is much more laid back.  Right now he is watching a real life blue jay on the bird feeder outside the front of my house. 




I spent a part of last evening putting the tabs into my new journaling bible. These newer bibles don't come with tabs, but I am a person that has a much easier time finding things with tabs to show me where to go, especially when you are talking about the scriptures.  I fell in love with the cover of this one.  I do so love pretty things.  I got a package of bible highlighters also.

This year we are studying the Old Testament in our Sunday School classes at church, or Come Follow Me as it is also known. I love the Come Follow Me program. I am looking forward to getting the new manual. I know a lot of people like to do it online, but I am one of those queer ducks who enjoys a paper one that I can hold in my hand, and make notes in. I am very old school when it comes to learning.  

 

I received an e-mail from my landlord in the UK this morning. Actually I am sure it is from his nephew  as Denis had no idea how to use e-mails or anything and I know he is in Ireland at the moment, not Chester.  There was a photocopy of a water bill that is owing for 33.82 pounds sterling.  I think he wants me to pay it.  The bill is in Todd's name, not mine. I will pay it, but only if the water company sends it to me here in Canada and in Canadian dollars.  I am not able to pay bills in foreign currency from here. 

I would have thought actually that the final bill would have been issued well before this.  At the time I did try contacting all of the utilities companies and having things switched, but none of them would deal with me as I was not the account holder.  It is a bit of a conundrum.

The tenant he had after me had to be evicted forcibly by the police. He was a bad, bad tenant.  A druggie and criminal. He made my next door neighbor's life hell the whole time he lived there. He also left the house in a terrible state, with holes bashed into the walls, railings missing, door knobs taken, etc.  The house will completely need refurbishing and decorating.  (I know all this from the next door neighbor who has told me.)  At least Todd and I were good tenants.  Always kept the house clean and tidy, caused no damages, paid our rent on time every month, etc.


 

It is hard to believe that we are only a week away from Christmas. This year seems to have passed by very quickly and still we are in the grip of Covid. Still living in fear.  My sister stopped by yesterday to bring me a gift card I had bought for my father for Christmas at A&W. She was all masked up.  Apparently someone she works with (she works two days a week) has a daughter who has tested positive for the virus, and he had a cold and had been to work earlier this week when she was there.  So she was unsure if she had been exposed or not.  Scary times we are living in.  Good news is that later yesterday she was told this guy had tested negative for the virus, so she was safe, but still  . . .  it shows you how very quickly the virus can spread and how vulnerable we all are.

I had hoped that the end of 2021 would have brought us closer to the end of the virus, but here we are again, things being closed once more, measures being put in place, one step closer to lock down all over again.  

The good news is that somehow we have all, in my family, managed to keep ourselves safe thus far, but I am thinking it is only a matter of time. They say every family will be touched by it to some degree.  I have been trying to get on a waiting list for a booster, but the lists are all full.  In the meantime I keep on being as careful as I can be. That's all anyone can do. 

I really don't have a lot else to say and I was very late waking up this morning so I best get on with my day since it is already a quarter to ten and I am sitting here still in my jim jams and my bed is still unmade.  I will leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Always end the day with a positive thought,
no matter how difficult this day has been,
tomorrows a fresh opportunity to make it better.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。


 

In The English Kitchen today . . .  Mom's Feather Squares. A Christmas tradition!

Have a wonderful Saturday. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!



17 comments:

  1. The cats are very intent on watching the nature program. So many restrictions back in place again, we just stay home, keep busy, order groceries, and try not to read the news too much. Hope you are able to get through to book your booster shot soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on that Linda. I am not a news watcher per se. I touch on the headlines, but that's it. It is just too depressing and life is hard enough without adding to it!! Still trying with the booster. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is still very scary with the virus everywhere, but at least now we have the tools to fight unlike this time last year. I hope you can get your booster shot, it does make a difference they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I think that we will all be enjoying a rather sedate Christmas this year once again! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie - I love your new journaling Bible. I am also looking forward to our Old Testament Come Follow Me study. I find the Old Testament so interesting. I also like the traditional paper manual to underline and make notes in. My husband, son and I (all of us who live in this household) were all able to get the booster, but yes, it does seem like we are going backwards again with respect to fighting Covid. So many in our ward won't wear masks at all or social distance so it makes feeling somewhat safe at church challenging. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always so dismayed when I see people without masks socializing, and the lack of social distancing going on. No wonder it is still two steps forward three steps backward with this thing. It can be so disheartening! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Loved the Christmas Toys poem. Knew right away it was by Edna Jacques. It's a bit of a conundrum with the unpaid water bill. And you did try to have it discontinued. Gkad Cindy wasn't expised to Covid. Well, time to devorate the tree. Stay cizy. It's snowing here. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its snowing here this morning also Elaine. I have e-mailed the landlord and suggested he get payment from Todd. As the account was in his name. I wish I could see your tree! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
    2. I'll send a picture when it's finished. We are headed out for more lights. Two our strings don't work. I guess they don't last forever. Love and hugs, Elaine

      Delete
  5. By the laws here, if you contacted the water dept there in Chester and THEY REFUSED to deal with you...for any reason, then tis not your bill to pay, Marie. Besides let them deal with the prison and try to get a few dollars at a time from Todd there...if such can even be done. When we sold the last place we owned here in USA, the new owners did not go sign up for electric. We notified the electric that we were leaving but not turning off the electric as it was Dec and cold and the new owners had small children etc. In fact, the woman ASKED me to leave it on...they did not sign up for 6 months and then the electric tried to make us pay for it. Of course, it was already on the record that we had sold to the new owners and it was not our bill to pay and we never did!! People are such crooks...and you know, maybe the person who sent you the bill is dishonest too...one never knows. I would block them from your email and not worry anymore.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have a lot of cheek going after me a year later and after they've already had another tenant in there Elizabeth. I have e-mailed them back and suggested they go to Todd for payment. xoxo

      Delete
  6. We are under new restrictions:( It's bad.
    A dear friend and her household has it..she had her booster but too late..cities are worse I'm in the country..but still the veil has descended upon us once again.J got his booster yesterday I can book Monday they moved the age up to 65 and older instead of 70 and up.
    Seems to me your landlord can keep his bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the bill Monique. The virus is getting bad here again as well. We are such a small area and it is up, up, up. So disheartening. Sorry about your friend. I pray every day that my loved ones will be safe and that our country can get a control on this. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Your landlord needs to contact Todd for the outstanding bill. His name is on the contract. Don’t cave on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Angharad! Have done just as you said! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Gee, I wish we could get off this merry-go-round of Covid…hard to believe we are still in the ‘ups and downs’ and ‘who knows what’s’…!?!! It’s Christmas!….let’s enjoy as best we can! Sending best wishes, V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very disheartening V. I agree. Happy Christmas. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!