Thursday 9 December 2021

Another this and that kind of day . . .

 

 

I awoke to a very marshmallow world this morning. It is very pretty to look at. This was just as the sun was rising.  They have been through and plowed the main road, but not the drives. It is blowing now and still snowing.  I am very thankful to be inside where it is nice and warm.

My father telephoned me and he seemed to feel very low. He said he was going back to bed. He usually goes out to the local A&W every morning for his breakfast, but can't face doing so this morning, so thought he would go back to bed and get some more sleep.

I didn't sleep very well myself last night for some reason. It was almost 1 before I fell asleep and then I had a very dreamy filled sleep and woke up at 5:20. I decided to get up then as I have lots of work to do today. 

 

I really love looking at things like these cookies. They are really pretty.  It would take a lot of patience to do this.  I don't have any cookie cutters left now. All got left behind in the UK. I had been collecting them for years and years and years. I had some very old Gooseberry Patch ones. Tins of autumn leaf ones, Christmas ones, loads of different gingerbread men, stars, etc. I did manage to bring over my old orange Tupperware one.  



It has a few different shapes on it. Hearts and stars and a nice flower shape.  I also managed to have enough forethought to bring my small tin with all the round cutters in it.  When I think back on where my mind was at  last year at this time, I am pretty lucky I thought even to bring those small things! 

I am not one for fiddly stuff however and I find I become even less so inclined as I get older.  I wonder if that is a common complaint?  


 
(source


When this Covid first started I thought perhaps people would end up becoming nicer and kinder because of it all. That perhaps they would take the opportunity for some self-reflection and just be gentler with others.  I think that has certainly happened for some people, but they were probably nice to begin with.  There is an other element of folk that have just become meaner. 

The Missionaries that are serving in our area had posted the offer of service on Facebook. They would come and do yard work, rake leaves, stack wood, etc. whatever was needed. Several people used the post as a sounding board to slag off the church, bring up very negative stuff that may or may not be true, etc.  Very mean spirited.

I don't understand this type of thing.  I don't agree with many people's viewpoints on a lot of things, but I don't go about slagging them off because of it or treating them unkindly or in a disrespectful way.  The Missionaries offer of help was real.  Would they have shared a message of God's love along with it?  Probably, but that is a given.  They are Missionaries after all.  You can either accept their service, knowing they will want to share their beliefs with you, or you can ignore the post.  It just made my heart sink to see the unkindness being shared on their very generous post.  What does it cost to be kind?  Not a lot really.  People really disappoint me at times.  They really do.  And it happens more and more often.


 

I saw this photo this morning and it reminded me of the different Gingerbread houses, etc. I used to make at Christmas time when the children were growing up. I used to love doing that sort of thing. I am not sure any of them were any good or as pretty as this one, but they were created with love. One year I even decorated our tree totally in iced gingerbread men and red bows, along with strung popcorn and cranberries.  I used to really love doing these sorts of things.  I think I probably still would, but I feel really tired these days.  I just can't bring up the energy to do stuff like this these days. 

I have never been one to really be depressed. I did have Post Natal depression after most of my pregnancies, not that I had time to notice it much or get help for it. Perhaps I am a bit depressed now.  Of course I am one of the 80,000 people in Nova Scotia without a family Doctor so there is not a lot I can do about it if I am.  There are about 900,000 residents in Nova Scotia, so that means that roughly 10% of the population is in the same boat.

I just try to brush off any sadness and keep busy and dwell on other things. Of course the kittens help a great deal. They are very affectionate and keep me busy with their antics. I really have much more to be grateful for than to be sad about, and of course my faith helps me a lot.

 

I had a small deep freeze delivered yesterday. If I wanted to do some Christmas Baking or do some casseroles up ahead I had nowhere to freeze them.  Of course I don't know for sure if my son is coming or not, but I am trying to prepare as if he was. It takes me so much longer to do things these days that I need to start early preparing.  I know he has a mind filled with all of these lovely memories of Christmas when he was growing up and I don't want to disappoint him.  I am 20+ years older now and much of my get up and go has got up and went, but I want to do my best.

When the delivery men had placed it they opened it up and had a lovely Poinsettia for me from the Home Hardware where I had purchased the freezer. I thought that a lovely gesture. I could not keep it however because of the cats.  I had some baking ready and a Christmas card to take to my neighbor Sheila and so I brought the poinsettia to her. I told her where it had come from because I didn't want her to think I had bought it for her.  I just thought it would brighten up her day (s) in some way.  I know she is lonely. She lost her husband last year.  She was really happy to get it.  But I think even more than that, she was really happy to have someone knock on her door and spend a few moments with her.

When I saw how much it meant to her just for me to visit I decided that I need to do it more often. I have it in my mind to try to visit her at least once a week if not more just to have a gab and see how she is doing.  She tells me the same stories every time I go to see her, but that's okay.  She feels good in the telling and that is what counts most of all!

Well, I have wasted enough of your time this morning and I have to dash and get dressed, etc. and get some work done. I still haven't gotten my lesson prepared for Sunday. YIKES!  (I need to give myself a swift kick up the pants!)

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

*.˛.And Winter's stars do shiver

with a wish to fall as snow;

landing gently on the earth, 
melting into life below.
~Angie Weiland-Crosby

Acck, I can't get this to post right. I give up. 


In The English Kitchen today, Cheddar Corn Muffins.  I am having issues with my Printable Recipe program today, so bear with, but these are really nice muffins.

Have a wonderful day whatever you get up to. Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     






7 comments:

  1. It's good to prepare ahead of time when we can. I'm slower too these days and it takes me twice as long to do anything. I work a little and rest a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do as much as I can ahead of time these days Pam! Like you, I am really slowing down! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I often wonder how I did so much for my family when I was younger also. Baking, decorating, cooking, crafting, church, sports, volunteering, caring for ill parents, driving everyone everywhere. I’ve really slowed down too. I guess that’s the natural progression of life and we are fortunate to get to this age, many do not. Visiting with someone older is a blessing for both parties. This darn pandemic has been hard on all of us, lots of ups and downs. But. I’m so very grateful to have received your most lovely British Baking book and can’t wait to dive into it and try some recipes for the holidays! I’m over the moon about this, a bright spot in a day of struggle yesterday. Stay warm and please know that you ‘made my day’ …and we don’t even ‘know’ each other! Thank you. xo, V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right V, it is a natural progression I suppose! I do feel blessed to have gotten to the age I have and consider every day an extra blessing! I am pleased you are happy with the book! yay! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I agree with your conclusion as to this pandemic not making people nicer in general. And I think it has exhausted us all more due to the fact that we never can depend upon stores to have what all we need just for cooking, or even toilet paper for crying out loud!! I think people during other hard times, in the past, worked together more and helped each other more. It is good you can find ways to share with your neighbor lady there...one by one, tis all we can do. I dispair here where we live due to the piggishness of neighbors, it is getting harder and harder to even park near our apt...there are no assigned places so these huge rigs feel just fine taking those spots where it might be easier for getting my husband in and out of our car, along with his wheelchair. I am hoping to find a better spot to relocate to by next summer!!! Not to speak of the constant noise here from before dawn to after sunset as they are building a LOT more units here too. My last nerve is shot. Too bad in this difficult time somehow it was allowed for the landlord to do this. (I have no idea how the print went darker here...sorry...something must be going on across the internet...)
    HUGS, ELizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly exhausted me Elizabeth! On top of everything else I have had to contend with, but I am alive and safe and warm and I count my blessings for sure. I wish you could find a nicer and affordable place to live. Love and hugs to you. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Aww thanks so much Becky! You are very welcome. Yes, I am all for keeping things simpler these days! I can't cope with more than that! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!