Thursday 23 December 2021

My Favorite Things . . .

 

A few of the things in life that make my heart go pitter pat. Maybe they will do the same thing for yours. ♥♥♥    I'm pretty sure however, that these things mainly make my own heart sing.    


 

 

Traditions  . . .  there is much comfort to be found in family traditions that we practice every year, either as individuals or as families.  And it doesn't matter which holiday you are celebrating . . .  Christmas, Kwanza, Hanukkah, etc.  there are blessings in the familiar, and the things and practices we choose to surround ourselves and our families with each year. 


 

Hot cocoa on Christmas Eve. One thing which is popular right now are the Hot Cocoa Bombs.  We saw some at the local farm market yesterday when my sister and I were there. I was sorely tempted to get one to see what the hype was all about, but I resisted. Have any of you tried them? 


 
(source

Christmas Stockings.  One thing I used to long for as  child was a Christmas Stocking. We did not have them. Occasionally we might get one of those red net ones, and they were nice, but I always wanted to hang up a stocking on Christmas Eve and find it magically appear, stuffed to the gills, on the end of my bed by Christmas morning. Never happened.  My children all had stockings. Each one created lovingly by myself. Each was different so that they knew which one was theirs. Beaded and sequined, a labor of love. I wonder what happened to them or if they still have them. Life is a funny thing. 


 

Beautifully wrapped packages. I love them.  Elaine wraps gifts beautifully. I am hopeless when it comes to wrapping gifts.  I do not have the knack. It is a special talent I am sure. My ex-boss had a wrapping station filled with oodles of papers and ribbons, tape, etc. It was amazing. 


 



Gingerbread men.  I was going to make some this year. I still may. I borrowed one of my sister's cookie cutters to do so.  I'm not out of time yet. 


 

I used to love dressing up for the holidays. Can you remember doing that when you were a child?  Wearing your best on Christmas day. Crinolines and ribbons.  It made the day even more special.  We are very lazy these days.  We just wear the same old, same old.  People used to dress up to fly in an aircraft. There was a dress code.  In many ways I miss those days.  We have become to lackadaisical about many things. 

 

 
 

Norman Rockwell and Christmas.  He had the unique ability to make the everyday things of everyday life special and heart warming.  I always loved his artwork. He captured the essence of the human experience for his era. 


 

 

Can you believe I have never smelled Chanel No 5.  Never.  I don't think I have ever smelled Chanel anything. My boss used to wear Joe Malone and some other scents whose names escape me now. One of my jobs when packing for her was to decant perfume from the larger bottles into smaller travel bottles.  It was not my favorite thing to do at 3 or 4 am.   I was always so tired by then and worried about making a mistake.  Mom always wore Ma Griffe 1946 by Parven. Even now the smell of it reminds me of her. I used to like Sunflower by Este Lauder, and when I was a girl it was Love's Baby Soft.


 


I love to see a wreath on a door.  It says welcome. Come in. I was going to get one this year, but the cost of them seemed outrageous to me. Maybe next year I will make one.  This year I have a snowflake. 


 
(source


The Purple Finch  . . .  so beautiful  . . .  I love bird watching  . . . 


 

The reason for the season. I love to read the story of the birth of Christ, and everything surrounding it. It, to me, is one of the most beautiful stories, from beginning to end.  I never tire of it.  Some of my fondest Christmas memories have to do with the Nativity and with church.  Going to church with my father on Christmas Eve.  My ex and my friend Mabel's husband building a nativity together that sat on the mutual roof of our two front doors.  They built it and then had to saw it in half to get it up the basement stairs, lol.  Happy memories. It was a shadow box.  All the little nativities I had gathered throughout the years.  I will gather them again, or maybe not. This years began with my mom's Avon Nativity.  

In any case . . .  the reason for the season fills my heart with warmth and with love.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★\
*.˛.What is Christmas,
it is tenderness for the past,
courage for the present,
hope for the future  . . . 
~Agnes M •。★★ 。* 。 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Christmas Crack.  Cracker Candy.  Salty.  Sweet.  Crunchy.  Addictive.  Delicious.

Have a wonderful day!  Only two more sleeps. I love the buildup and am always so sad when its over.  Anyways, enjoy your day and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     




9 comments:

  1. Lots of Christmas favourites, Marie. I used to like Love's Baby Soft, too. My mom always wore Tweed. And we always had a Christmas corsage, sometimes real, sometimes not. We always had a floral centrepiece for the table, usually red and white mums with a red candle. It looked so festive. Time for breakfast. Lots of last minute things to finish up. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Christmas Corsages. We had them too! So pretty with little shiny red or green balls and lots of sparkly on them. Thanks for reminding me! As an adult my friend Mable taught me how to make ribbon rose corsages. It has been many years since I have made one. They were pretty also, with white fluffy down feathers and greenery. I wish I could remember how to make them! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. I loved Love's Babysoft too..and Honeysuckle..Avon..those towelettes:)Christmas brunch Pjs..a must here Christmas eve..even if it's a top..we do make an effort..It' makes the evening more special..and I find it fun for the hostess ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Monique! I know my sons do Christmas pajamas for their lads and the parents match. So much fun. Mom always made us matching pajamas when we were really young. Different colored ricrac trim on each, same flannelette material. I think these traditions do make Christmas all the more fun and special! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Channel #5 is my sisters favorite fragrance, but she uses it very sparingly, It's a beautiful smell.I
    m not looking forward to the cold dark days after Christmas and plan to put up my Valentines decorations early to brighten things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to make it a point to smell it the next time I see some! I am intrigued now! I am with you about the dark cold days after the holidays. Anything to brighten them up! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Marie~

    Such good memories and favorite things! I also loved Love's Babysoft! My mother always wore, Charlie, but in her later years she wore Beautiful, I can't smell it without thinking of her, it smelled wonderful on her. I have always loved, Opium, I know it's considered an "old lady" scent, but I love it, just a little tiny dab.

    Dressing up for Christmas was always a thing, but not so much for me today, I just wear my two or three things I always wear ;0) Christmas seemed more special back in the day...today people are very relaxed about things. Although I usually buy a new sweater or top for Christmas.

    I better get busy! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barbbb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really wonderful how we can associate certain people with certain smells and just smelling them brings back lovely memories of our loved ones Barb! Things are a lot more relaxed now for sure. I hope you and Bob have a lovely Christmas and are feeling much better! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Love this post…memories of Christmas! We miss the ones that are no longer with us but enjoy the nice thoughts of our times together. There are many worries and disappointments upon us right now (work,peace, weather, financial, health, virus) but I sure do wish you the very best holidays, health and happy times.
    We must keep ‘keepin’ on.’ ♥️ God bless you & yours. xo,V

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!