Tuesday 14 December 2021

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

 

FOR TODAY, December 14, 2021

Outside my window ...
Its still very dark and cold. A typical December day. All the snow that we got is gone now.  Pretty while it lasted, but I would rather be driving on dry pavement than on snow! 

Just so you know ... 



My little boy got through his operation very well. This is him early this morning. He's a bit more sedate than he usually is. (To be expected) He's sleeping on my bed.  He meowed very loudly all the way to the Vets yesterday morning. I took him in for 7:40 am. When I called at noon to see how he was, they hadn't even done his operation yet. They said they would call when he was done to let me know. Nobody called.  Finally at 5:00 pm the Vet herself called to see if anyone had called me to let me know anything and I said no, nobody had called.  She said I could come and pick him up and that he was doing very well.  So my sister and I went to pick him up.  Poor baby. 




I borrowed a cone from my sister (just in case) but so far I haven't needed to put it on him. He has some pain killers.  I am to give him one when he eats at noon.  But he seems to be alright. Fingers crossed, recovery goes well.  There were at least half a dozen people in there picking up their animals last night, so they had a very busy day in there yesterday with the cats and ops.   They called Nutmeg quite a character.  (But maybe they say that to everyone.)  I think he is quite a character myself  Mr Personality.  Love him to bits.  So does Cinnamon. She was quite beside herself all day yesterday and could not settle. She was very affectionate and stuck very close to me all day.  She was very happy to see him when I brought him home.  Its her turn in January.  Sigh  . . . 

I hate having to do this, but its done now. He's safe. He's healthy. He's micro-chipped. He's home sweet home.

I am thinking ...
Still haven't figured out how to do the IRS form so I can get paid for the book. Or how to fill in the invoice. And I can't send one without the other.  H&R Block is in the next town and it is only open on Wednesday afternoons. I will call today and leave a message. Hopefully they will get back to me. I don't know why getting paid has to be so complicated.  Sigh  . . . 

I am thankful for ...
My sister.  My sister is always there for me. She always has been. I hope that I am as good a sister to her as she is to me.  Somehow I think not, but I try. Everyone should have a Cindy in their lives. She is just an amazing woman.  Kind, compassionate beyond measure, caring.  Love in action, always.

In the kitchen ... 


Sour Milk Biscuits.  The milk I had bought for when Doug was here had gone sour and so I made these biscuits. BEST dang biscuits I ever made!  You need to make some!  They're excellent!! You can sour your own milk very easily.  

On my "to Cook" list ... 



Cashew Chicken Casserole from Taste of Home.  My sister shared this with me. I really want to make it. It looks fabulously tasty! I will really need to downsize it however.

Good to know ... 

  


I am wanting to create ... 

 


Rachel Brockmann on Ravelry. I love LOVE this shawl.  A free pattern.




TL Yarn Crafts. Love the colors in this. Not free, but also not expensive.




Love this  . . . . Wooden Spool Designs.  



Printables Fairy. Coffee Filter Snowflakes. 


Little Yellow Wheelbarrow. Knitted baskets. 

I am reading ... 



The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey
A middle-aged couple, Mabel and Jack, are about to endure their second Alaskan winter. Far from their families, they are trying to make a life for themselves farming land that for much of the time is either too frozen or too wet. With Jack labouring all day, Mabel is left in their cabin, remembering a lost child and contemplating whether to take a walk across the barely frozen nearby river. Yet, when the first snow falls, Jack and Mabel are enchanted and for the first time in a long, long while they play together and build with great care a snow girl, complete with red lips, red mittens and scarf and yellow hair. The next morning, the snow child is gone and, when they begin to catch sight of a young girl in the trees, watching them, Mabel becomes convinced that the child is a snow girl, brought to life, just like the snow child fairy tale in the Russian book that she treasures, even though she can’t read a word.

Eowyn Ivey’s prose is truly bewitching and at times you may catch your breath, smile or cry a little. She has achieved the sophisticated air of simplicity and naturalness while going straight to the heart of her fully-rounded, breathing characters, yet still always making sure that the Alaskan environment is never more than a cabin wall from us, even when we read this novel wrapped up and snug in our homes. It is a marvellous achievement and Eowyn Ivey has a great talent which we must watch in the years to come. As for the snow child herself, there’s every chance that you’ll fall as much in love with her as Mabel and Jack.

Yes, I did read this a few years back, but I am enjoying reading it again. I am like that with my favorite books. I like to revisit them, like old friends, a few years down the road. LOVE THIS BOOK.

Dreaming about ... 

 


Hot Chocolate Elegance  . . . 

 

Tin chickens  . . . 

 


Dandelion brooches . . .  so pretty  . . . 

 


Gingerbread cookies  . . . . 

 

Oh my goodness  . . . . so pretty  . . . . 

Something to watch ... 



Home Alone.  It just wouldn't be Christmas without it! 

Makes me smile ...

 


That garbage truck with all of its lights and sounds is ever so interesting mom  . . . 

Corners of my kingdom ... 


Last week's snow  . . . so pretty  . . .  all gone now.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.The best Christmas gift
is to realize how much you already have.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 

Just as a note of interest ...


Near the end of October I ordered these cute little book ornaments. I thought they would make great little gifts. They were $9.99 each.  They finally arrived yesterday.


Not the same color at all, very soddy workmanship, and the story inside is not Little Women, but Scrooge and a very poor interpretation at that.  And, guess what. They came from China.  Shame on me for being duped!  Note to self. Do not purchase anything from facebook/IG ads.  Thankfully I had ordered via PayPal and my money is being refunded. 

And that's my daybook for this week  . . .  
  

   ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
 ⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

   ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆   
 

  



✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░  
 

 
  

Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     




6 comments:

  1. Glad Nutmeg is okay. It's amazing how fast they seem to recover from these procedures. Hope you can get help to figure out the paperwork to get paid. Could your publisher not help? I'm wrapping gifts today. But first, time for brekkie. Have a good day. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of the cats in the window and the snow outside is so beautiful. And you are right, that sleeve with the bow is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never order from IG ads for sure..FB has Hudson's Bay etc..but those IG ads are too good to be true ..mind you I've not ordered from any.Sorry for you.Yes having a Cindy s a true Godsend:) Read that book and liked it!
    PS some third party sellers on Amazon are awful also.Watched Love Actually making tourières yesterday cried again and again.I never watch tv cooking or baking but J does and he likes making tourtières...The only time we bake together ..;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your kitty is ok!! Worrisome that the clinic could not possibly find time to make a short phone call to you!! Hopefully in time you can find a better vet situation!! That shawl is indeed very pretty!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear Nutmeg came through his ordeal just fine, he'll be back to his mischievous self in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope Mr Personality is better today. ❣️That shawl❣️So disappointing about the ornaments, they were a lovely gift idea…☹️ Have a happy day. V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!