Monday 6 December 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 
  

 

This was early yesterday morning . . .  the sun was just coming up.  I took this shot outside my bedroom window towards the back of my place.  We awoke to a winter wonderland . . . 





It was a marshmallow world.  Most of it is still here, except for the snow on the rooftops across the way and the snow in their yards. It is only clinging to the edges of their gardens, but mine is still all filled and there are icy patches on my driveway. I will have to get some salt to take care of that. I don't have a shovel either, but I cannot see me shoveling. Not now.  A guy did come with his little snow plow thingie to clear it, but it didn't do a very good job to be honest and it is still there this morning.  I didn't venture out all day.

It has been 21 years since I have driven in the Winter and I admit I am a tad bit gun-shy.  I will get out there today though. I need to mail some cards and stuff.

 

 
I watched this the other night. It always warms my heart.  I love that the children are all the same children that delighted us in The Waltons for all of those years.  I was not so fond of the Ma or the Pa or the Grandfather, but then I loved the Waltons and loved those characters and the actors who played them.  Grandma was the same in The Homecoming as in the series.  There was just something about that whole show that spoke to the softer gentler side in each of us I think.  It was a beautiful story, and remains so after all this time.  Made in 1971 so it is 50 years ago now and it still has the power to make me feel all the warm and fuzzies.


 
(source

Simple decorations.  I am becoming a minimalist in my old age I fear.  I am all for simplicity. Not extravagance.  It does not take much to warm the cockles of my heart.  

 
 

Pinch me moments that I had no idea would happen a year ago.  Our years unfold in mysterious and wonderful ways. Sometimes amazing ways. We never know what they will bring to our tables.  Good, bad, and everything in between.  Mostly good.

That is life.  Life is very cyclical. It ebbs and flows like a river.  The only thing permanent about life is its impermanence. Sometimes it us unimaginably hard and brutal and sometimes it is easy and wonderfully beautiful.

We just need to learn to go with the flow and catch all the joy that we can find.




The kindness of others.  I am so enjoying this advent calendar.  Not only are the teas (mostly herbal and natural) delicious but each time I sit down with a cuppa, I am reminded of how very much I am loved and how many good and kind people there are in this world.  I am truly blessed.




Another kindness . . . a gift from a friend. I am enjoying going through these books and reliving a bit of my childhood.  Also reminders to me that I am cared for and thought of in very special ways. God's angels  . . .  simple kindnesses all in God's perfect timing. 

Jesus is here.  God with us. Perfect reminders  . . . 



These two  . . .  when they are going mad and racing through the house in craziness I doubt my sanity in having two of them, but when they are being cuddly and snuggling up to each other and to me, I am so glad that I did. I love them very much. 



 
Sometimes I still have some hard, very sad and difficult days.  Days when I struggle to catch the light.  But they are becoming much fewer and farther between each other.   I have moments when fear grips me and I try hard not to think of the uncertainty of the future and dwell on the good.  That is the best way to get through life I think . . .  to dwell on the good, and leave the rest behind.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*.˛.The best Christmas Gift is
to realize how much you already have.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 



 
In The English Kitchen today. I managed to cook a Traditional British Christmas Dinner for two, all on one baking sheet and in about 1 1/2 hours at the weekend. It was delicious as well. Everything is there, the turkey, pigs in blankets, sausage, onion and sage stuffing, honey and lemon roasted root vegetables, crispy roast potatoes. The whole shebang. Plus I give you all the timings. Delicious!  

I hope you have a wonderful day and week, filled with an abundance of things that bless you!  Don't forget along the way! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     

4 comments:

  1. Drive carefully out there, Marie. I'm headed to the post office today, too. Hope it's not too busy yet. I have a Christmas parcel to mail and a letter to send via registered mail. Finished my cards and several letters so they are ready, too be mailed as well. Stay safe. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. All ggod..keep on carrying on..you're doing it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best way to live life is one day at a time and take what comes trying to make the best of each day and be thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow is so lovely when one can sit home and just look at it!! Do be careful going out in such!! I think getting 2 cats was a good choice as they have each other to play with when you are gone, especially. And probably in a year or so they will simmer down and be less active too? Lovely eats as always...you are my favorite recipe person!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!