Monday 27 February 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 


 


My cozy little home. When I think back on the last few years I am filled to overflowing with gratitude at where I find myself.  From homeless and uncertain to where I am now. It is nothing short of a miracle that I find myself in this little house of mine, with my two cats and all of my needs being met, and then some. It is only through the Grace of God and the love of family and friends who were willing to reach out and do what they could for me that I find myself where I am today.  When I am asked how I got from 

THERE <=====TO=====> HERE 


I have only one answer that I can give. Divine intervention, the Grace of God and Love of family and friends.  These all kept my feet moving.  These helped to bind my wounds.  These lifted me when I couldn't lift myself.  Dried tears, etc. Gave  me strength.  And you were a part of that and for that I am grateful.

You may get tired of hearing it, but I will never tire of speaking it. 


 
 

We may all think that we cannot make a difference, that we do not make a difference. But we do. We really do. It is in the small and simple things that each of us do daily without even thinking about it. Unconsciously . . .  because we are good people, because we care about others and the world that we live in . . . because we love . . . 

We may be tempted to think that there is no good left in the world, but I think that the good far outweighs the bad.  And it is the small and simple things we each of us do because they are second nature to us. Its in the reaching out.





I am not sure where this came from, but it resonated with me.  This is so true.  I know because I lost almost everything I thought was dear to me, only to realize that, at the end of the day, none of it really mattered. Not a one.  What mattered most was only what I carried with me, the things of the heart. Treasures in heaven. Faith. Family. Friends.


“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, 
where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 
where neither moth nor rust destroys, 
and where thieves do not break in or steal.” 
(Matthew 6:19-20).






Bright sunny days. We had a very snowy cold weekend, and it is very cold this  morning, but the sun is shining and somehow when the sun shines everything  just feels okay.  All is right with the world, or things are at least just a little bit more bearable. I think God gave us the rain and the dark moments so that we would and could appreciate the sunshine so much more than we could have otherwise.




 
You are loved. So much.






Its only a sheet of foil, but it has brought me several nights peace where I can sit and watch television without having to jump up every five minutes to shoo a naughty cat away from the tv screen. 




Its only a paper bag, but pop a flipping fish into it and it keeps them busy for ages. They also sneak their treasures into it.  I have found an empty plastic cat lick treat package in there, a small catnip fish, a rattle mouse, a plastic spring.  All keeping the flipping fish in the plastic bag company, singularly, not all at once. 



 


Sunday supper at my sisters. Wednesday night supper with dad. Lunch with friends. Chapel cleaning with other friends.  Facetimes with Doug and the boy. Morning chats with Anthony.  Its all good and a part of my full abundant life that brings me so much joy.

I take none of it for granted. My cup literally does runneth over.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Life for all its agonies of despair and loss and guilt,
is exciting and beautiful, amusing and artful and
endearing, full of liking and love, at times a poem
and a high adventure, at times noble and at times very gay;
and whatever (if anything) is to come after it . . . 
we shall not have this life again.
~Rose Macaulay•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。
 





In The English Kitchen today  . . . Meatball Tortellini Bake. Four simple ingredients. Thirty minutes. One delicious meal.

I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with abundance in the things which matter most. Whatever comes your way, stay warm, stay safe and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

 

2 comments:

  1. So many things for you to be grateful for Who knew tin foil could bring peaceful tv watching :) Another storm for us this evening and overnight, but a sunny day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie~ What a beautiful post! I don't think any of us can "over-tell" how blessed we are...I love hearing about your blessings. I love the quotes, and plan on using a few of them for a lesson in RS in a few weeks, they are perfect. I especially need to realize that my "things" are nothing compared to what I can have on the other side. Love it! Have a great week. Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!