Saturday 11 February 2023

All Things Nice . . .

 

 

I often think that in a tree
Soft prayers are said from limb to limb
As mother birds on warm blue eggs
Trill of the measures of a hymn.

I often think that in tall grass
A song of happiness is sung,
And in a tulip's lovely cup,
A tiny bell of joy is rung.

And in a quiet dell somewhere
A brook sings with a happy voice,
While ancient stones along the banks,
Speak to each other and rejoice.

And surely when a river flows
Through valleys edged by towering peaks,
It carries deep within its breast,
The words that some old mountain speaks.

And in small lives like yours and mine,
Something of grandeur seems to glow,
Reflected from some quiet soul
Who lived a hundred years ago.

So in the golden links of Time,
Nothing is in itself complete,
The rain is daughter to the sea,
The earth is mother to the wheat,

And in a heart at evenfall
A hundred voices call and call.
~Edna Jaques, I Often Think
Fireside Poems, 1950 


I sometimes wonder why the words of Edna Jaques often speak to my heart the way that they often do. I guess it all boils down to talent. She had the ability to express what so many of us feel in our hearts and to put it down on paper in words.  When I read this poem this morning, I thought to myself, this is exactly how my mind works. I have always had a mind that has these poetic thoughts about the things around me, and life in general. 

I can remember being like this even as a child.  Sitting in church and looking at my hands and seeing a faint glow around them and thinking to myself that is my spirit.  

Or being in the small wooded area around the PMQ's where we lived and finding Lady Slippers and wondering at the beauty of them. I did not pick them because I knew we were not supposed to. I remember climbing a tree one day and finding a robin's nest, but I knew enough to not touch the eggs. I remember looking at those little blue eggs with wonder.  

I have many memories like that from my growing up years.  Somehow as adults we often don't look at the world around us with the same sense of wonder, but I like to reserve a few moments of each day or each experience and just take in the wonder around me.  See it all for the miracle that it is.  Perhaps that is the secret behind the beauty of Edna's poetry . . .  she shows us the wonder of the small and simple things around us and makes us ponder them.


 
Josh Feb. 2023


A very rare photograph of my grandson Josh, who turned 13 in January. He had made his own breakfast of scrambled eggs and a Toaster Strudel.  He is a boy who doesn't really like having his photograph taken very much.  (I can identify with that. I have never liked having my photo taken either.  Especially as an adult.) He is such a sweet boy.  So smart. He is my scientist.  He has a real mind for science and loves doing experiments and learning scientific facts. I am so grateful for knowing these small things about my grandsons.  Jake likes Dinosaurs, and Jon likes playing video games and wants to design them one day.  Luke wants to be a Vlogger and Gabe also wants to design video games.  Josh is quiet and unassuming.  Jake is gregarious and full of life. Jon is just Jon, unique in his own special way.  He has autism so is quite pedantic about things and likes routine. Gabe is incredibly affectionate and caring.  Luke is a bit like Jake, gregarious and full of life. They are all so special to me. I love them so much.

I do wish that I could get to know my other three grands in the same way, but sometimes life doesn't grant our wishes.  We can't always have what we want. But they are safe and happy and loved and what grandmother could wish more than that for their grandchildren.


 
The Lord bless you and keep you; 
the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; 
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.
Numbers 6 24-26

In the church of my growing up years the Pastor always gave this benediction at the end of every church service. I am not sure I ever thought about the words, or even actually paid that much attention to their meaning. It was always just one of those things that was said. Perhaps taken for granted.

These last few years I have struggled at times to find Peace in all that has happened.  I have come to the conclusion that nobody leads a charmed life. All our lives ebb and flow. We all have ups and downs, rough seas and pleasant waters . . . some of us are very open about it, and others of us play our cards very close to our chests.

I do find that the times of anguish come fewer and further between. My tears are being dried slowly but surely.  For this I am grateful. I am reminded always that things could always be and have been worse.

There is a scripture which I love . . .

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." ~Psalm 56:8 NLT

How comforting it is to think that we have a God who is mindful of our sorrows and bears them up for us, collects them in his special bottle, taking note of each one. He allows sorrow in our lives because He knows that is how we grow and become.  We also have the assurances that one day all of our tears will be wiped away and that they will be no more.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” ~Revelations 21:4 NLT

This is why I love the scriptures so.  I find much of what I need in them. They have the power to lift me and sustain me. Who could ask for anything more.


 

What a beautiful sweater this is. I love the sea green color. It looks so soft as well. What pretty cuffs it has. I would love a cardigan like this, especially if it was open in the front and had buttons down the front. I don't like pullovers that much. I find them a bit constrictive, but I love cardigans. 

I think often, because I am a woman of a certain size, I deny myself things that are pretty and that I love because I am too self conscious about how I look.  I tell myself that I wouldn't look good in them or whatever . . .  but really why shouldn't I wear pretty things also. I shouldn't really care what other people think.

Life is for living, and over all too soon.


 

Why should pretty things only be reserved for the young and the beautiful. I vow to allow myself to enjoy prettier clothing.  



My sister and I were talking about beauty earlier this week.  After having seen the recent photograph of Madonna from the Grammy Awards. It made me really sad to see her photograph. She is the same age as my sister. 

I know that Madonna belongs to an industry that doesn't treat it's women in much the same way as it treats its men.  As women get older they find themselves being given fewer roles and less attention.  But I think there is much to be said about women who allow themselves to grow old gracefully.  Looking at Madonna's photo just made me sad that she has had to go to that length to remain viable in the music industry, or at least that she thinks she has to.  She looks nothing like Madonna in my opinion. I would much prefer to see a Madonna that looks naturally closer to her age, not one with cheek implants, lip enhancements, and whatever else she has had done, the botox, etc.  

Her fans will always love her, old or not. Her voice is her voice and her talent her talent. Nobody expects a 64 year old woman to look like a 24 year old woman and if they do, there is something wrong with their ideology!

I think my sister is naturally beautiful. She wears no makeup or enhancements.  She is just who she is and I think she is gorgeous. But then she has the luxury of being a normal person without having to worry about fame or attention.

The truth is . . .  age is not kind to any of our looks, not male nor female. It is the very rare person who naturally looks as beautiful at 64 as they did at 24.  But I can think of many, many older women who are beautiful in their old age without all of the surgery, etc. Its a different kind of beauty than at 24, but it is beauty all the same. It comes from within.

Judith Dench. Helen Mirren. Jamie Lee Curtis. Meryl Streep. Lily Tomlin, Shirley Bassey, Petula Clark, etc.  There are a lot of older women still entertaining us and doing so quite naturally. They are the exception rather than the rule.  I think that there is something wrong with an industry that expects its women to stay youthful looking and allows its men to get old and flabby and still get the jammy roles.

Mind you, Madonna is in a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. She gets criticized for looking all plasticky and she would be criticized if she looked old.  I don't know. I only know her photos made me feel really sad that this is the way it is.  I am not judging her. I am judging the industry which she works in.  I hate that we live in a world where some women think they have to go to such lengths to be accepted and loved. I guess I can be really grateful that I don't personally have to worry about stuff like that! 




Dad is taking us all out for supper today to Swiss Chalet. I have not been to Swiss Chalet in over 24 years. I used to love going there.  I am so grateful that my father is still with us and that we can enjoy family meals out like this. Its really special.  I think that is is really wonderful that he has gotten to the age of 89 and is still actively enjoying his life the way he is. Still able to drive.  Still being social and having friends. His life is very active when compared to a lot of people his age. He still reads his books voraciously (He goes through several a week), he goes out for breakfast every day. He eats out with friends several times a week. Plays games on the computer, belongs to the radio club, etc. 

Love my dad so much and am so happy that I am here, in person, to enjoy these last years of his life with him.

I need to get going now. I am way behind. Some mornings are like that. I am having to give a talk in church tomorrow so I want to do some finishing work on that this morning and I have a few other things to do before we go out. We are leaving around 1 pm and are going to a few places together before we go to Swiss Chalet. I am looking forward to that!

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*.˛Never be afraid to trust 
an unknown future to a known God.
~Corrie Ten Boom•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . . Easy Pancakes for one. Why shouldn't we enjoy pancakes every now and then even if we are on our own?  Why not indeed!


I hope you have a beautiful weekend filled with love, peace and joy!  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       





6 comments:

  1. Gave up Swiss Chalet, when they renovated here years ago, got rid of staff you knew, atmosphere was awful, food just didn't seem the same. Enjoy the time out with your Dad and family. Grandkids grow so fast, one of ours will be 16 this year, Yikes, those years flew by, probably not to him but to us. It is a sunny day today, above 0 Celsius. The yoyo weather continues. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful that we are able to still have times like this with our dad. He means the world to me. Kids grow up faster and faster and time is speeding up Linda! I wish both would go a bit slower! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lots of good thoughts here, Marie...agree with lots of them. Hope your day with kin is great!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I am looking forward to it! xoxo

      Delete
  3. That Josh❣️ Cindy❣️Dad❣️How fortunate you are❣️
    Happy dinner, talk❣️ xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!