Monday 13 February 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 





I love my little home.  For so long I thought I was never going to find a place of my own. There just were no places to rent and I couldn't get a mortgage because I had not lived here in over 20 years.  But that's okay about the mortgage. My Heavenly Father knows what's best for me, and buying a  home was probably not the smartest thing for me to do.  Here in my little place, everything is taken care of. I don't have to worry about snow removal or how I am going to mow my lawn. Its all done for me.

If I had bought a house I wouldn't have been able to put any furniture into it, lol, because I really didn't have any and I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy any.

Here in my little home I was able to get the things I needed to get and I am comfortable. I love my little twinkle tree. It reminds me that even in the darkness there is light.

I have little red and white toadstool lights on it and you all know how much I love them!



 
(music)  


I love my little sparrow which managed to make it all the way from the UK with me without breaking.  (Sorry for the bad photo) It is a constant reminder to me of God's providence and love for me.


"Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall 
to the ground apart from your Father. 
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows." 
~Matthew 10:29-31





 




My home is filled with the love and providence of God.  From this beautiful tea cozy that my dear friend Ginny knit for me.  Every time I look at it I cannot help but think about how much I love her and how much God loves me! When it arrived it made my heart smile in a very special way. 



(music



Then there is this beautiful tea cup my much beloved friend Elaine sent to me.  It also makes my heart sing. It contains everything that I love.  Red and white. Polka dots and stripes, but most of all friendship. Every time I drink from it I drink a cup of friendship.

My home is abundant with these small and special things. Gifts and remembrances from friends.  I gave up so much to get here, but God has multiplied my thanksgivings and more than replaced any losses by showing me how very much I am loved. I am surrounded with love.

My life flows on in endless song
above earth's lamentation
I catch the sweet though far off hymn
that hails a new creation.

No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I’m clinging.
Since Love is lord of heav’n and earth,
how can I keep from singing?



 
Supper out with the family on Saturday. My father wanted to treat us all to a dinner at Swiss Chalet.  We kind of made a whole afternoon of it. First we went to Winners. My sister had a gift card, but she didn't really find much that she wanted there. I got a few serving dishes to use for props on the food blog. Dan got my dad a wheel chair and my dad took a boo around. He was looking for a watch.  Mostly though he just sat there and enjoyed watching all the women. That's one of his favorite things to do. Bless him. 

We did a bit more shopping and then ended up at Swiss Chalet. I will be honest here, the only really good part of the meal was that I was with my dad, Cindy and Dan. None of us was really impressed.  We were told when we first went in that there were no salads or coleslaw.  

Apparently there is a shortage of lettuce and stuff, but I don't get that.  The grocery stores have plenty.  They only had two people working.  I know that restaurants are having a difficult time getting people to work now for some reason.  We waited forever for our meals to come and then when they did come, to be honest they were cold. My sister was brave and sent hers back for a hot one. I am always afraid they will spit on my meal to do that, lol.

But really it was nice being there with my father. I know that we are not going to have too many more of these times. I value each and every one of them greatly.  That's why I go out to dinner with him and his lady friends on Wednesday nights. Its not because the food is any good. (Its not.) Its because I am building precious memories with him that I cherish.

I never thought that I would ever see  my father alive again. This . . .  being able to spend time with him . . . is one of the silver linings of the cloud I went through. 







I never thought I would be able to say this but I am grateful for the cloud.  I have experienced many blessings and miracles because of that cloud that I would never have been able to experience otherwise. I was the woman at the well, the man by the pool of Bethesda, the woman with the issue of bleeding, the daughter of Jairus, etc. Going through the things I went through allowed me to see just how very much I am loved and how much my Heavenly Father loves and cares for me.  By having to put all my faith in Him and by keeping my eyes on the Savior I was able to walk across the water. They gave me strength I never knew that I had.  The love, thoughts, prayers and hands of the angels He put around me through that whole experience are things I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

And I don't know why I was any more deserving of that than the next person. I mean, who was I to get such as this?   I cannot explain it, but I am grateful for it.  My life is a miracle.

I have no other explanation but the Divine for how I got through what I went through. Step by step, moment by moment, I was carried and given the strength somehow that I needed to get through it. Divine providence. There is no other explanation.

Sorry if I sound preachy this morning.  My heart is just full.


 


I had to give a talk in church yesterday. A ten minute talk. I was the second speaker. It went well. I had a lot of positive feedback from it. I am always so relieved when I get it over with.  Whew!  That's done now. (Until the next time, lol) 

I was released from my calling in Young Women's.  I actually was quite relieved to be released from it. I was not enjoying it at all. I don't want to work with children or young women really.  I would prefer something else entirely.  I am willing to serve, and will always accept any calling which is given to me, but I really wasn't in a good place for that one to be honest.



 



Sunday Dinner at Cindy's with the family. Its lovely to be included.  I am so grateful for my sister and Dan.  Words just cannot adequately explain.


 



I think that I might invite a couple of other single ladies over for lunch tomorrow for Valentines Day. My friend Jacquie and my friend Glenna perhaps, maybe even Sheila from next door. None of us have sweethearts to celebrate with. I am having a think on it anyways! Watch this space. It could be fun!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*When life throws you a rainy day
play in the puddles.
~Winnie the Pooh•。★★ 。* 。


 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  How to Brew a Proper Cup of Tea. A tutorial. Its much more than dunking a bag in a cup of hot water.


I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance.  Be safe. Be blessed. Be happy. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   



12 comments:

  1. Do I spy Emma Bridgewater? I am curious re her beautiful things..none here in my small town.Years ago I inquired at the UK shop but she said it was to $$ to bring over..Cutest UK shop. You are nestled in perfectly there.I haven't been to a chicken resto in over 22 yrs..Caro was dating Fred:)And that was my only time lol..We had gone to Ottawa..stopped for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that is Emma Bridgewater. I got it from a place called BeesKnees (https://www.thebeeskneesbritishimports.com/) It was not too expensive, but yes usually buying things like that are uber expensive sometimes. We have a small shop in town called Cinnamon Creek which carries a lot of British Imports as well! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Sending well wishes on your new home. It seems that you have found peace with this phase of your life. Making changes are difficult but there's always a reason and we find the blessings in that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Latane. There is always a reason for most things. Not always apparent at the time, but if we are patient we can usually see the blessings involved! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely home you have created for yourself. We gave up Swiss Chalet ages ago. They now say the cost of salad is too high for them, but bet they didn't adjust the price if salad was included The company is what is important. We are in for a mild few days, we will enjoy it while it is here. I'm sure winter isn't finished with us yet. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda! Yes, the company is the best part and the most important part as well. Enjoy your mild days! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Glad you got to spend time with kin, sorry the food was not good. I have heard it is even dangerous to eat lukewarm food...so hope everyone will feel ok in the long run!! You really wonder why places even stay open if they simply cannot do the job!! Hope your little meal for tomorrow goes off well too!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be if it is left too long Elizabeth! Ours was still warm, just not hot. So far we are all okay! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Another delightful post …counting your blessings….happy and positive …a treat to read. Have a lovely St. Valentine’s Day!
    God bless you and yours. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you cherish the times with your Dad, but we all know that and wish you didn't get morbid about it. Happy Galenstines Day with your lady friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what you mean by that. I don’t think I am being morbid. I never thought I would see him again. I truly didn’t. That’s why these times spent with him now are so precious to me. At the age of 89 they are even more precious. I am sorry if this offends you. ~Marie

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!