Saturday 25 February 2023

All Things Nice . . .

 

She was so glad for little things
She didn't need a coach and four
To fill her days with happiness.
A patch of sunlight on the floor,
A little kitchen warm and bright,
Was all she asked for her delight.

A corner cupboard for her cups
A little sun-porch painted green
A piece of ground for vegetables.
A lattice where pink roses lean,
Some hollyhocks as red as flame
A little homeless cat to claim.

A quiet bedroom fresh and clean
With plumped-up pillows white as snow,
A wide old chair where she could rock
And listen to the radio,
Knitting in rhythm to the beat,
Of lilting song and dancing feet.

A table with a colored cloth
A few bright dishes gay as paint,
Food cooked in her own favorite way,
(She looks as placid as a saint;)
There shone in her old kindly eyes
A peace that any king might prize.
~Edna Jaques, Grateful for Little Things
Roses in December,  1944

GOD GAVE US MEMORIES THAT
WE MIGHT HAVE ROSES IN DECEMBER

 

What a cold, cold morning it is this morning. -15*C which is 5*F.  My heat pump isn't working again so I am relying on the electric baseboard heating this morning. Grateful too for my electric fireplace which is helping to heat up the room. I love the sight of the cozy flames.  Oh to be able to have a wood stove again. We had one in the past. We heated our whole house with one when we lived in New Brunswick. It was down in the family room in the basement, but because our house was built with an open concept and very well insulated, that one little stove kept the whole house toasty warm in the winter  months.

In Meaford Ontario we heated our home with an old Mennonite Cook stove. I used to hang laundry over it in the winter months as well. I spent many days sitting next to it in the winter months, watching the birds enjoy themselves at the feeders outside the dining room window.

Then when we lived in Nictaux, here in Nova Scotia, we put a wood stove in the living room, and again, it heated the house. I loved to lay on the sofa and watch the flames flicker.  The smell, the sound, the sight . . .  so cozy. Wood stoves are the best.


 

Oh that I could dress in layers of woolens. What is it about layers of clothing that helps us to feel so much warmer? If I was thinner I would dress in layers. The size that I am I just feel like I look as big as an elephant in layers. Having said that however, I am sitting here this morning with my knee socks on, long flannel nightie, robe, crochet blanket over my lap, etc.  If my legs are cold, then I am cold.  Keeping my legs and arms warm is key to keeping me warm.


 

I had bought the pattern for this blanket a week or so ago and then yesterday I ordered the yarn for it. I love the colors.  I ordered the yarn through Love Crafts. They have the Style Craft Yarn and it is on offer at the moment. I need to finish my autumn colors blanket before I start the new one. Can you ever have too many crochet blankets?  I think not!  I love to surround myself with color. It keeps life from being boring.



Our Cinnamon seems to have a predilection towards scratching my television screen, or the mirror in the bedroom. She will get in front of it and scratch away. I spend most of my television watching time jumping off the couch to shoo her down. It gets really tiring.  She gets off but the minute I sit down, she is back up there. It is a constant battle of wills.  Last evening my sister suggested I put a sheet of tinfoil down temporarily to get her out of the habit.  

I got the tinfoil out and lay a sheet on top of the fire just in front of the television and wonder of all wonders it works!  She did go to jump up on it, but stopped just short and took off like a bat out of hell. It has kept her off there ever since. I will leave it there for a few days and then maybe she will get out of the habit.

I hate to terrorize them, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do I guess!


 


I was thinking this morning about all of the expectations I had when I was first setting up my little home. The week rocking chair for my wee grandson to sit in, my long table for family to gather around. The wee grandson has never come yet to sit in the rocker, but I have been blessed to have much of my family gather round my long table and what a blessing that is. It is not exactly as I had envisioned but it is still good and still warms my heart. Things will never completely be ideal I don't think, but is anyone's life really ideal?  I don't think it will ever go back to the days when I had all of my chicks gathering round me, but I can have joy still in what it is.

Supper times were busy affairs back when I was raising the children.  With five of them it was noisy and filled with life.  Never quiet. We had a small plastic loaf of bread  filled with scripture strips which sat in the center of the table and every evening before we tucked into supper the children would take it in turn to pull a scripture out and read it. I the  little loaf was called Your Daily Bread or something like that.  I remember one night Bruce, the youngest who could not yet read, really wanted to pull one out. He did and proceeded to recite John 3:16.  "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." It was a scripture that he had already memorized.  We did not care what was really written on the paper. It was enough that he felt validated and included. 

What I wouldn't give to have him and his we family here to sit around  my table now, the three of them. This wee grandson I have never seen . . . I hope that one day he will know that he had a grandmother who always loved him even if she never got to meet him.


 

I had a lovely facetime with Doug and his boys yesterday.  Jon was putting a pie in the oven for his grandmother, Jake was waiting for his turn to play a video game on the computer, Josh was reading . . . even Charles Bingley (the dog) came to say hello. It was nice. Life gets really busy I know. I am grateful that they take the time to get in touch and share some of their busy days with me.  I treasure these moments.

I have not spoken to Eileen in a while.  Every time we speak she is so argumentative and so we just don't speak. I leave messages for her and she leaves messages for me. That is the happiest solution for us both. She was a bit upset the other day as I had to tell her that she couldn't share my Netflix any more. I had to choose one person to share it with and so I chose my sister.  I had to stop sharing it with my father as well, but he didn't mind.  Eileen was more upset about it. I told her that maybe if she asked her dad he could get them a Netflix account set up in their own name. I cannot afford to do that and to be honest between she and Tim they have a higher basic income than I have and pay a much lower rent. 

I don't blame Netflix for clamping down on account sharing. I don't think it will be long before the others follow suit.  When my contract for Bell television comes up in May I think I am going to get rid of cable tv entirely. I never watch it.  I only watch streaming channels.  During the daytime I mostly have music playing and at night I watch films or favorite shows on my streaming channels.

I think people's viewing habits are quite different now than they were in years gone by. 

And back to Eileen, maybe some day we will be able to spend time together without her being so argumentative, judgmental and stroppy, but in the meantime I just can't be dealing with it.


 


 And why take ye thought for raiment? 
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; 
they toil not, neither do they spin: 
 And yet I say unto you, 
That even Solomon in all his glory 
was not arrayed like one of these.
~Matthew 6:28-29

We were studying Matthew 6 and 7 in our Come Follow Me studies this week of the New Testament. I watch Don't Miss This on YouTube.  (David Butler and Emily Belle Freeman) They have the weekly lessons broken down into 5 day segments so that you can study a small bit each day with them. I like that idea and this new format. It is much easier for me to do it this way than to have to sit still for an hour or longer. This week Emily was talking about her first trip to Israel and seeing the Lilies of the field. They sounded just like poppies to me. I looked up Lilies of the Field in Israel and this image of poppies came up.  






I have always wanted to go to Israel and walk in the Savior's steps. My friends Audrey and Peter Lee did.  So did my friend Carolyn's husband Eric. I think the closest I will ever come to walking in the Savior's footsteps will be in walking through the scriptures with Him and in following His teachings. I used to think about someday walking along the Via Dolorosa (Latin for “Sorrowful Way” or “Way of Suffering”)  This is a route through the Old City of Jerusalem that is believed to be the path Jesus walked to his crucifixion. 

I am reminded of the trip we took to the South of France where we were able to visit Lourdes. Lourdes is a town in southwestern France, in the foothills of the Pyrenees mountains. It’s known for the Sanctuaires Notre-Dame de Lourdes, or the Domain, a major Catholic pilgrimage site. Each year, millions visit the Grotto of Massabielle (Grotto of the Apparitions) where, in 1858, the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to a local woman. In the grotto, pilgrims can drink or bathe in water flowing from a spring. Many healings are said to have taken place there.  

I really enjoyed the day we spent there.  Next to the Basilica and the grotto was a hillside which you could follow the Stations of the Cross  





There are three “Way of the Cross” in Lourdes, France. the High Stations, the Low Stations and the Stations in the Basilica of St Pius X. The High Stations is a one-mile path tracing the fifteen stations of Jesus Christ's suffering.  

We did the last one, The High Stations. It took us quite a while to do and I remember it being a very spiritual experience, as well as very tiring.  It was uphill for the first half mile, winding around the side of this small hillside, but the views out towards the Pyrenees were spectacular.  We were all very winded by the time we got to the pinnacle and then started on our way down. There was beautiful statuary at each station.

Thinking back on it now, how blessed was I to have been able to experience things like this. That little girl who used to pour through the geography books in the bookcase and dream was at least able to see a little bit of the world she once only dreamt of seeing.

I had wanted to visit Ireland, Venice, and Rome, Amsterdam and see the tulip fields, and to go to Copenhagen. Never got there, but I did get to see and experience some really beautiful places.  I can't complain!





I am not sure what I will get up to today. I think I am going to clean out the refrigerator. I find that I need to do that more often now that I live on my own. I try to use up all that I buy, but sometimes it just seems impossible.  The only solution is to go to the grocery store every day and buy just what I need for that one single day.  I am thinking about it.  

Some of  my friends are going to the Temple. I cannot bring myself to be able to go back to the Temple yet.  I always loved being in the Temple but those lovely feelings are now mixed in with feelings of total and utter betrayal by you know who. I think until I have totally dealt with the hurt and those negative thoughts I will not feel happy in the Temple. I do keep my Temple recommend up to date and I do have a new Temple dress that I purchased in hope and expectation.  I will get there eventually.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *I was not looking for my dreams
to interpret my life,
but rather for my life to 
interpret my dreams.
~Susan Sontag•。★★ 。* 。 






In The English Kitchen today . . .  cheap and cheerful  . . .  Roasted Veggie Hot Dog Hash.  This was delicious and filled with lots of vegetables.  I enjoyed it with some baked beans on the side!


Have a beautiful day!  Be happy and blessed. Stay warm and stay safe. Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ══════════

And I do too! 
 



6 comments:

  1. Cold set in here overnight too. Gald we went out in the sunshine yesterday and did all the shopping and errands. Love wood stoves, had one, but not now, so much work chopping and hauling wood. Hubby will love your hot dog hash. Stay warm and cozy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of work for sure and make a lot of mess! But the heat is so wonderful. You stay warm and cozy also! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I haven't picked up a crochet hook in eons it seems.Speaking of Venice..the images are very sad.No water.France is in a drought also.It was super dry when we went that Sept also.Have a good weekend..Have you watched 1923? The church :(:(:(:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sooooo sad Monique! :-( I am watching 1923, about halfway through! You have a good weekend also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie~ Such a beautiful post! I felt like I was reading a wonderful book...I didn't want it to end. It's been so cold here as well, but today, it's suppose to get up to 32 degrees with sunny skies. Hopefully some of the snow will start to melt so we don't have flooding later on. I share Netflix with one of my daughters, and one of my daughters shares Disney plus with me. We don't have cable, and haven't had it for years...I don't miss it at all. Like you, I stream what I watch. We do need to get a new digital antenna this summer, but they aren't a big expense. I love the new blanket and can't wait for you to show us your progress, it's so pretty! I understand about the temple, it's hard. You will get there in your own time, until then, like always, you are in my prayers. I guess I better get busy, I also need to clean the fridge. ;0) XOXO Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stream everything I watch Barb. I like the freedom of being able to pick and choose what I watch and when I watch it. I hope and pray you don't have flooding. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!