Wednesday 14 October 2020

Baby steps . . .

 
This is a portion of one of my treasures. It is only about 1/3 of the picture.  There is a clock at the top area and a cat at the bottom. Holly Hobby, which I am sure you recognised. Holly Hobby was so popular when I was an older teen. I loved all of her work so much.  I had bought this for my mother one year for Christmas with money I earned from babysitting. I think I used to get 25cents an hour for babysitting. It doesn't sound like much now, but back then it was not too bad. 

Anyways, I had bought this for  my mother along with another one.  One year she gifted them back to me, when she was moving out of her house into her apartment I think. To some this might just be a piece of presswood with a picture laminated onto it.  To me, it represents a lifetime of love of and for my mother. I've always been incredibly sentimental, and I am sure all of you are too.  Kindred spirits and all that. 
 
 
I've also always been incredibly trusting and giving. Always believing the best in other people even after they proved me wrong. When I was really small and playing with other children, if they wanted my toys my mother made me give them to them.  In later years, she told me she realised that was a mistake, and so she never make my brother and sister give up anything they didn't want to. 

She told me once that one of her friends had complained to her that I had bitten her son.  And shown her the bitemark to prove it. Of course I had protested that he had bitten me first.  She made my father bite me back, really hard to make sure I didn't do it again. (People did those kinds of things in those days.) She said it was only later when she was getting me undressed and in my pajamas for bed that night  that she saw the bite-mark oh my back from where he had bitten me first. 

Your first born is always your guinea pig, your learning station.  The first pancake. 


This is a photograph of my father holding me not too long after  was born.  It was taken in Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia where my mother is from.  I found this the other day when I was going through things. I had forgotten I had it, but it is in a safe place now.  It is hard to believe that my father was ever so young and so handsome, but he was.  I can see how he must have charmed my mother.  His good looks, combined with his French accent must have been very compelling. (The problem was they were not just compelling to my mother, but that's a whole nother story!) My father was always very proud of me.  He still calls me the "Apple of his Eye."  I don't know if he calls my brother and sister the same thing or not, but it doesn't really matter.  When he says it to me, I feel that its true. 

When my Aunt Thelma passed away her daughter gave me a bunch of photographs that she had had which my mother had sent her through the years. My mother had written notes on the backs of many of them. 


On the back of this one she had written "Alice, Cindy & David, Christmas PM.  That's Tony's Christmas gift they are sitting in."  My father's infamous lazy boy chair.  We were always told to be very careful near it because it could snap our legs off.  And to really prove the point I remember my mother's friend's son Johnny getting his legs caught in it one day and him screaming the roof off in pain.  That was enough to keep me away from it! 

My father still has a lazy boy chair.  I think he spends most of his time in it these days.  My mother also got one for herself eventually.  She loved that chair.  She spent a lot of time in hers also. 


This was my mom all dressed to go out to a Christmas Party in late 1963. It may have even been New Years Eve. I remember that dress. It was powder blue and had crinolines under it so that the skirt was very full. It had ruffles on the bodice. It was sleeveless and very elegant. I love her crochet shawl. I am sure there is a story behind it, and I can see she is wearing her "Black Alaska Diamond" earrings and necklace set. I can almost smell her perfume.  She always wore Ma Griffe. I remember finding her a bottle of it when we were in France and buying it for her a number of years back.
 
I can really see my sister in this photograph. My sister was always very pretty also.  

I can also see my mother's housekeeping skills.  Note the coffee table is shining and every leg is sitting on its own little coaster. The doily ruffles are perfectly starched, the matching ashtrays clean. Eveything just so. We had that same set of furniture right on up until well after I left home. And it still looked brand new.  That was my mom.


I just have to share this one as well. My mom loved this dress and there is a story behind it.  She had been admiring it in a shop in downtown Gimli for a while, but thought it was too expensive.  The dress itself was a black silk sheath dress and the over jacket was blacksilk shot through with gold threads in a pattern. (Note the television also wearing it's slippers.) I can't be sure but I think she is wearing her black velvet wedding pumps. Anyways, mom had been admiring this dress for a while. 
 
My father used to go out with his buddies every Friday night and get drunk.  As the story goes this one of time he actually stayed out all  night and she found him passed out, slumped behind the wheel of the car in our driveway the next morning. (Another thing people didn't think twice about in those days.) Anyways, she gave him a right telling off and he came after her in the house on all fours mewing at her like a cat, trying to be cute.  
 
She had a bit of a temper my mom.  She went at him and said "laugh at this", clapping her hands over both of his ears at the same time, which likely sobered him up a bit!  He went and bought her this dress by way of apology, using some of the money he had earned from putting up television antennaes in the neigbourhood. 

The ceramic dog has moved from the coffee table to the television by this point, probably to keep it away from prying hands. 
 
My mother had very striking eyes I think. Beautiful, blue, sparkling. 

Anyways, I have digressed into memory land here, and I had not meant to.


Le Temps de L'innocence 

I am a very prideful person.  I have always tried to do everything myself. Perhaps this is a lesson I need to learn. When you don't allow others to help you, you are depriving them of the blessing of being able to help others. Perhaps this is my turn to accept a little help.  Its not easy for me, I want you to know. It is a very humbling experience.  I would be grateful for anything anyone can do.  All I have is Paypal. I don't want anything to go into our joint bank account because of the risk of losing it. My paypal is my e-mail address, mariealicejoan@aol.com  I am truly grateful for anything and will pay every penny back when I can, in one way or another. I hate this. I really do. 

My friend Tina stopped by yesterday. Todd had been drinking all day and was a bit obnoxious. He has nothing to lose now you see.  He even had his bottle of Port sitting out on the table. He says he is being excommunicated anyways so it doesn't matter. He had been in the Port and the Whiskey. I was quite embarassed to be honest and more than a bit sad.  She is coming by to take me to the Doctors for my blood tests this morning so I don't have to walk there in the rain and then she said we would go for a little drive after. Just to Costco.  She knows I won't go in because of the Virus but she said she would bring me a slice of pizza out to the car after she gets her bits. She is so kind to me.  I will never be able to repay her or Tony or anyone for their many kindnesses to me during this situation, but I hope that someday I can.

Anyways, thank you all so much for your support and your prayers and your recipe page views.  They really do mean the world to me. You mean the world to me.

Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!  
    














 



 

9 comments:

  1. So sorry Marie...well, it is sad to see anyone destroy all the good in their life...but at least there are some witnesses which you might need in dissolving things. Thanks for telling us how to help...I will get my hubby to help me with this as I am totally ignorant of paypal (other than he has used it a few times in helping me purchase something). Please do not repay me anything we send...pay it forward someday in helping someone else. Because that is the Biblical standard in my opinion!! I enjoy your writing...and do hope you will be able to continue with it (though if you need to take a long break, anyone can understand that)! Blessings on you, dear!! Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure of all the rules right now, but it used to be that one of the cheapest ways to take something from one place to another, was simply to get an extra suitcase and pay whatever for that...will need to check into that with the airlines, but I really think that might be one of the easiest ways to get some of your special things to Canada. I would handcarry in a BIG purse or something, those lovely photos of your childhood however...things do get lost at times. Thinking of you...Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no clue how to transport things from another country..on trips I have but we have gone w/ the rules no extra baggage..I know many do that..surely the airlines can help?Which airline?

    Love your treasures.
    I scratched someone:) My dad loved his after work tipple too.
    Weekend tipple..

    I think losing their daughter..shaped this habit.

    I bet I would too.

    But young I was quite mortified..and after my mom passed..I would mark the bottle as he was soooo sad.
    As you know he passed 6 months later.the night I married.
    Some sorrows ust acumulate..
    Oh you must be living in anxiety right now..Can't wait until it's over.Your mom was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can offer is my prayers and you certainly have those. Take care and don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry......My prayers continue....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post,Marie. Your pics are wonderful!
    A Paypal payment has been done, only wish it could be so much more!
    You will make it through this and then back to beautiful Canada with your loved ones. All will be well.
    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie~

    I am sentimental as well, and cherish anything I have that my mother gave me...I love that you kept the Holly Hobby picture. I guess in the end, all we really have are memories, and I know you have some amazing memories of your mom and dad.

    There is a payment in PayPal for you...it is a gift, not to be paid back. Just know it was out of love from Bob and I. Our prayers and blessings are always with you.

    Much love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you arrive in Canada reach out to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. My husband and I are active in the organization in our province and its t mandate is to give a hand up, not a hand out, to those whose life has been adversely affected.
    Honestly,I was shocked to learn Todd was drinking. That is such an important part of your faith. You have both been devout Mormons. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fun to see a post today. I remember babysitting and I got 25 cents an hour. I used to iron for 10 cents a piece.
    I do know that you are loving, kind and trusting. They are all great traits of our beloved Savior.
    The biting story is so true, I remember that was being done when I was younger.
    You do have a very handsome father and I loved the photo and I can tell you have been close. I miss my Dad all the time. He was so fun and I wasn't the youngest and only daughter so we were really close.
    So fun when you get photos you haven't seen before. The one of the three of you is precious.
    We like our recliners a lot too.
    I love the photo of your Mom. My mother dressed up for dances too and she wore, Shalimar perfume and I still use it today once in a while.
    I love the photo of your beautiful Mom in that dress. I had a Dad that drank too, for a long time before he finally came back into the church. I remember a couple of their fights and it wasn't good at all.
    Oh, my sweet friend, I am so sad to hear about Todd. I shouldn't pry, but is it health or maybe a start of dementia. My Dad had Alzheimer's and he got angry and Paranoid, alot. It was really hard. He could tell something was wrong but didn't know how to handle it at all. Drinking can be a really hard one.
    I will be praying for you both. You are so loved and I know there are many that would help you through this. I know pride can be a stumbling block but you are right that asking for help is important for both the giver and receiver. I hope you will share with the Bishop, he could help so much.
    Sending loving thoughts, prayers and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!