Thursday 1 October 2020

My Favouite things . . .

 

 These are a few of my favourite things about October.  Maybe some of them are yours also!  A few of the things which catch my eye, inspire me, pluck at my heart strings, make me smile, intrigue me or that I just plain enjoy. I hope that they will do the same for you.  


This weekend coming up is the 190th General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Conference is always one of the first things I love about October. The chance to hear our leaders speak and to be inspired.  There is also a General Women's Session this time. I cannot wait. You can watch it too if you wanted to be inspired.  If you do, just ask and I will tell you how. I don't know about you, but I can really use some uplifting.  2020 has been a total bust. 

 
Like Anne Shirley, I am so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.  And this quote from the book is one of my favourite things! 
 
 
Its pumpkin season! In North America you will see them everywhere!  On doorsteps, piled up in Gardens, outside all the shops.  Pumpkin flavoured goodies, treats and bakes, etc.
 
 
(source) 

The woods get all quiet  . . .  as the colours slowly move from green to yellow to gold  . . . 
 


Its time to gather acorns.  I love acorns.  They look like little heads wearing tiny little caps. 
 
 

The sound of Geese flying south for the winter.  Last year I got to watch a flock flying directly overhead of me. They felt so close I could almost touch them, but of course they were not. Thankfully they did not leave me with a calling card, but it was a beautiful, once in a life time, magical moment.  
 
 
Canadian Thanksgiving.  I have not had a Thanksgiving with my family in 22 years now. Its not the same, but I still love Thanksgiving.  God willing I will get to experience it again one day. 
 
(source
 
The colours start to really change now.  This is the season of orange and red and yellow and gold. The pastels and pinks from summer are turning amber . . .  it is the last hurrah before the deep sleep.  

 
 
This  . . .  


 
Halloween. Its not quite the same over here.  I think this year it will not be the same anywhere. This is a bad year for many things. 
 
 
The season of cosy is beginning.  Wool throws. Wool socks. Quilts on bed. Cardigans.  Candlelight. Wood fires.  I love it all. 
 
 
Apples.  All kinds.  Fresh.  Fresh.  Fresh.  Ready to be made into apple butter and apple pies. To be sliced into wedges and enjoyed crisp and sweet and juicy. The smell.  The tastes.  I love it all. 

Trees lose their leaves in the autumn because if they did not do so, they would die. If they held onto the leaves that no longer served a purpose to help the tree survive the next season coming up the tree would die. The tree would become starved and parched for water and food that was no longer coming in like it did during the spring and summer. 
 
Additionally, if the tree held onto the dead weight of the leaves through the winter it would bend and break under the weight of all the snow that would pile up on the leaves. 
 
I remember my first year living in Borden, Ontario we had a very early snow.  The leaves had not yet been shed by the trees.  I woke up to an incredible silence that morning.  Things are always really quiet after a heavy snowfall.  I went downstairs, only to discover that the crapapple tree in our front yard had actually broken in half and was laying against our living room window. It had been unable to support the weight of the snow and the leaves together.

Like the earth I am going through a season of great change at the moment. On the one hand things are going really well and I am seeing a point where in a few months I might actually be able to make a living on my own again. On the other hand my life is about to change drastically in ways I just can't find the heart to verbalise at the moment. The culmination of something which has been going on for about 18 months now. I hope that at some point I will be able to talk about it.   In the meantime I hope you will bear with me and hold me in your prayers as I  face the things I need to face, and do the things I need to do.  I will still be updating the food blog as and when I can. If I am not here for a time, please know that I will be back. I just can't find the words at present.  Know also that I love each of you. You mean the world to me. You have always been one of my favourite things.

Also know this . . . 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

It is this knowledge which is helping me at this point in time. I have always known this, but  I know it now more than ever.

Hope to be back soon. God be with you til we meet again.
 
 

24 comments:

  1. OH dear Marie...this does not sound good. Will keep you in my prayers, dear friend!! Take care of yourself!! I am glad that you think you will be able to support yourself again!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers as always, Marie. God bless. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine. They mean the world to me. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Dear Marie you and your family are in my prayers. I wish I could do more. XOXO, Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most and best thing you can do for anyone is to keep them in your prayers Dale. I appreciate them very much. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Prayers and much love for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Best of Fall. Such a beautiful season, full of so many Blessings. Prayers for you in all that you are going through or have going on. God knows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. October always means all things pumpkin to me. It's such a colorful season I'll be praying for what ever it is going on there for you. May it all turn out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. October and Autumn Blessings, dear friend! Very much hoping that all is OK with you. And I hope the path that lays before you will be more of blessings than hardship, whatever it is, wherever it takes you... Know that I am thinking of you, and always sending you ((MUCH LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Tracy. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  8. Best, kind, good, sweet, helpful wishes to you Marie and all your dears,
    I so much enjoy your words. Take good care. V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. Hope you will be back soon. Stay strong and well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll just add my good wishes to the others. Hope whatever this is resolves itself and you'll be fine.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dear friend, you will be in my prayers and I will put Todd and your name on the prayer roll. I will be sending lots of prayers, love and hugs your way. I will really miss your posts so I hope not for long.
    I really enjoyed your favorite things about October. I do love the fall season and it brings a different feeling in the air and in my heart.
    I too am very excited for General Conference. I think we all need to hear from our beloved Prophet and Apostles who will speak with the spirit of the Lord; uplifting thoughts to help us through life's difficulties.
    Right now we are doing MTC at our home for my grandson and we haven't been able to go up into the mountains to see the changing colors. I'm hoping we don't miss them.
    I saw a flock of birds the other day and I wish I had captured a photo of them.
    I too hope you have a Thanksgiving with our family again.
    I feel a little sad that Halloween won't be the same. I will miss the kids coming and especially my Grandchildren. I hope they will have something that I can at least see them in costumes.
    I look forward to evenings at home with a blanket over me, on the couch with some Hot Chocolate and a fire.
    I loved your thoughts on trees. When we lived in Spokane, Wa., we had a severe Ice storm that took out a bunch Ponderosa pine trees on our property; it was so sad.
    I do know that God loves you!
    Sending lots of hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much LeAnn! It’s been 21 since I had a thanksgiving with my loved ones. Xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!