Wednesday 4 February 2015

Winter thoughts on an early Wednesday morning . . . .



 photo 428c3b1a6f37f51b000adef0e1b7e2db_zpsjbevu07k.jpg

Now, in the deep heart of winter . . .  we settle down in the evenings with our favourite books . . .  fire loaded, knees blanketed . . .  with steaming cups of hot cocoa at the ready.

I like marshmallows on mine . . .

Mitzie canoodles too . . .  laying on the sofa next to me, tucked right into me . . . she likes a wool blanket too.

 photo 1ee6ca0e7277ab2f42da47cd56c37be6_zpsy5dfhxfi.jpg

Certain books go along with winter don't you think?   Wuthering Heights, Walden . . . Sense and Sensibility.  I make good friends with Keats and Charlotte . . . Bronte . . .  on these cold dark nights.  Emily is invited too, but doesn't always show up.

Charlotte is easy going . . . Keats on the other hand . . .  he digs into the store cupboard to see the "lucent syrops tinet with cinnamon," the jams and the jellies.  He has such a zest for life.   A rich and deep perception of beauty.

Asleep! O sleep a little while, white pearl! 
And let me kneel, and let me pray to thee, 
And let me call Heaven’s blessing on thine eyes, 
And let me breathe into the happy air, 
That doth enfold and touch thee all about . . .

 
 photo 70b24344c71adc38f78cfac097a4719a_zpsofclhjom.jpg

Somehow I am unable to settle in with Shelley.  I feel as if any minute he might turn his sparkling eye on me and say . . . "Let's try for a great adventure now." and then have me racing up and down the stairs in twos and threes . . .  I am not quite up for an adventure I don't think.

As for Byron . . . I'd rather meet up with him in someone else's home.  I'm afraid he would not be very happy with me.   I'm not slim or dark . . .  or beautiful.   I'd never be able to  . . . walk with beauty like the night . . .   I'm not dark nor am I bright . . . my eyes not mellowed to a tender light . . .

Besides . . .  I have never been very good at small talk. It quite plainly eludes me.

 photo 1_zpslfemgwfg.jpg


I can  easily get stuck into a book of short stories by Katherine Mansfield . . .  or wander about German Gardens with Elizabeth Von Arnem . . . in lieu of roaming on tropical sands beneath palm tree fronds and a moonlit sky.

There is naught quite like blanketed legs stretched out towards the fire with a really good book nestled in the lap . . .  whilst munching on popcorn and apples, as logs crack and hiss and spit . . .

The wind may howl against the window glass, as iced beads shatter against the frosted panes . . .

But all is well . . .  all is well . . .

“She belongs to the winter that is past, 
to the darkness that is over, and has no part 
or lot in the life I shall lead for the next six months. 
Oh, I could dance and sing for joy that the spring is here! 
What a ressurection of beauty there is in my garden, 
and of brightest hope in my heart.” 
~Elizabeth Von Arnem, Elizabeth and Her German Garden 

 photo 2_zpsjjsb4p3t.jpg

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
“It takes a lot of time to be a genius. 
You have to sit around so much, 
doing nothing, 
really doing nothing.” 
~Gertrude Stein 
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

  photo DSCN0342_zpstizot2nv.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Salmon Patties,   served with my lemon butter sauce, peas and yes . . .  that is boxed mac and cheese.

Have a wonderful Wednesday . . .   don't forget

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too! 




7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Marie.

    I have never had the experience you describe. It sounds wonderful. We have had a very "mild" day to quote the weatherman as it was only 29. Not very hot for here. The air conditioners are having a well deserved rest as it is 23 now.

    God bless your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salmon patties..all the way back to my mom:)

    I am not familiar with all the lovely poets..I know their names..but I do not have a deep or profound knowledge of their works..
    I am reading reading though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More often than not I've spent my evenings with the TV rather than a book until bedtime that is, I always have to read awhile in bed. The old classics do really never grow old though and are worth rereading. More snow added to the mix here this morning. Only a couple inches though so not bad at all. Hope all is well at your house and you are keeping warm.

    ReplyDelete

  4. You have such grate cumpanty oh sd do I but not as fancy. whenever I can I'm in a book, they are E-Books I have meny of. I love real one but can no longer can see to read them.oooxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, you make winter sound inviting. I love to read too. I like to think about sitting on my couch in front of the fire curled up in a blanket with a good book.
    I love the authors you mentioned but haven't read any of these classics for many a year.
    I think my dear husband and I will try this soon.
    Wishing blessings for you and your plus sending love and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wintery pictures! Yes, the books you mentioned are great reads for winter especially. Nothing better than tucking in with a good book, chocolate, a few cookies and a cup of tea too. I also, love reading Little House on the Prairie books in the winter. The emotions that bubble up from "drinking in" Laura Ingalls Wilder's words are heart warming on the coldest day. :-)
    Sending warm fuzzies! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. DUH,I had long responses written to each one of your comments, and then I lost them! DUH!! I do appreciate each and everyone of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!