Thursday 5 February 2015

Five Things About Me . . .



 photo SDC17718.jpg

This is a photograph taken of me and Eileen at her wedding shower three years ago this July!  It's hard to believe that she and Tim have been married that long.    What a wonderful occasion that was.  It was so hot that night!  We were all roasting!!  That's Nova Scotia in July.  Hot and sticky!  Blah!

I hate heat and humidty.   I can't cope with really hot weather and when it's combined with high humidty, then I am well and truly done.  All I want to do is lay there and wallow in misery.  You can't sleep.  You have no energy and it's just blah . . .  blah . . .  blah.   Yep!  It's another five things about me post!



 photo SAM_1849_zps8bbdce53.jpg

(sweet and spicy chicken wings)

I love chicken wings.   They are my favourite part of the Chinese Buffet we go to back home.  I think they are everyone's because there are always hardly any left by the time I get to them.  I wish I could find a good recipe to make them at home, but actually  . . .  it's probably a good idea that I can't because they are not very good for you I don't think.   Love em anyways.   When my family was young and we didn't have a lot of cash I used to often cook chicken wings because they were cheap and everyone loved them.  You could get a huge pack for not very much money. They're not so cheap anymore!

 photo SAM_6229_zpsa9c30b81.jpg

I can be very opinionated.   Actually I come from a family of opinionated people.  Its not easy growing up in a house full of opinionated people who are all "Always Right!"  I don't think anyone really wins in a situation like that.   I do try hard to control myself more often than not.  I bite my tongue a lot.   I try hard to respect other people's opinions, especially when they are contrary to my own.   My great Uncle John used to just say whatever he thought whenever he thought it and was not well liked by some . . .  kind of like Prince Philip.  Even now when someone in the family sticks their foot in it . . .  they are said to be doing an Uncle John, or that they are a bit like Uncle John.   Poor man . . .  he's been dead a long time now.   What a quality to be remembered for.   I hope I am remembered for much more than being opinionated.   That's why I work hard at controling my opinions.  Sometimes I do well and other times I could do better.  ☺

 photo tumblr_mo104blCGZ1s1oegho1_500_zpsff312523.jpg

Aside from being opinionated I am an old softie and very sentimental.  I cry at sad films and when I see something on the television that breaks the heart . . .  such as ill children, or animals in need, etc.  I wish that I had enough money to support all the causes in the world that need support.  I keep all the cards that get sent to me, likewise the letters.  I wish I could right all the wrongs and make sure that everyone was safe and happy and warm and content.   I can't really make much of a difference on my own and I recognize that . . .  but even if I only make a difference to a few, then I am content to have done even that.   I can do no more than that.

 photo SAM_4804_zps49cb6c87.jpg

I have a hard time saying no.  I wish I was better at it.  Life would be a lot simpler did I just learn how to say it.  As a result I end up with far too much on my plate and being stressed because of it at times.  I don't know what makes a person that way . . .  what causes a person to always say yes, no matter what they are asked to do.  Of course I have never been asked yet to do something illegal or truly against my principles.  I hope that I would have the courage to say no then.   I am getting better at putting off sales pitches on the telephone.  I just hang up.  It was hard the first few times because I felt like I was being really rude, but I am getting better at it.  My mom has no problem with it at all.  She just yells in the phone, Ahh shut up and hangs up, lol  . . .  if you can imagine a tiny little old lady who weighs not much more than 80 pounds yelling shut up into the phone  . . . it's kind of funny.   The last time we had someone call us asking for Mr Raymer  (they always get the name slightly wrong) Todd said just a minute I'll get him, put the phone down and then went on about his day leaving the person hanging for who knows how long!  It's kind of funny when you think about it,  but it's also a bit rude.

 photo 1_zps5ae48136.jpg

I love life and all it entails.   I embrace the bad with the good.  I try to take something good from every experience.  It's not always right away.  It can often take weeks, or months or even years to do so.   But eventually I get there.   I think everything happens for a reason, even if I don't always understand it right away.   I think  my faith helps me a great deal and I am grateful for that.   I am not perfect of course.  I sometimes have a real boo hoo about things, but then I put it aside and move forward.  Life and experience has taught me that things always improve and that there is always some lesson to be learned, a silver lining, some diamond to be found.  I value the dips in life because without them . . .  the highs would not be as beautiful as they are.

And that's it for this week.  You probably already knew all that about me if you have been reading me for very long.  I am an open book.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

There are two ways of spreading light.
To be the candle or . . . 
to be the mirror that reflects it.
~Edith Wharton
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥


Let your light shine!!




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Winter Fruit Salad with a delicious Lemon and Poppyseed Dressing.   

Have a great day today!  I can't believe it is already Thursday!  The week is flying by!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too! 



7 comments:

  1. Morning Marie. I love that photographs you both look so very happy and so alike as well...It is always nic eto have a peep into others lives and I enjoy peeping into yours on a Thursday. I am a bit like you in that I find it very hard to say no Mary is forever getting on at me....as for thse cold calls on teh phon ethey drive me mad... I have done Tods trick though and there is one persistant foreign man who calls and alwyas asks for Seebeel Wilison and I alwasy say..."sorry she does not live here " !!!! well she dosn't, Sybil Wilson lives here !!!!
    I cannot believe that it is Thursday either Marie to think that in only 2 days we will be on our way and I am not even packed or half ready yet...Just so tired I can't pull myself together...busy day ahead as I help at coffee morning and then this afternoon I have a leadership meeting at church this afternoon...Tomorrow I MUST get a myself together ! Hope you have a good day today and you get to the temple...( I think it is today )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Marie,

    I am laughing about Todd's and your mum's antics. We had an election on Saturday and the late evening calls were intrusive. Ian becoming much better at telling marketers a simple, "no thank you".

    God bless your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do BOTH look So Happy!

    I have a few of your traits too:)
    I smiled picturing your mom..Here we know if it's a telemarketer..there is a lull..when we answer..so we hang up..if no lull..and I get the phone..I always says sorry..but no..if they have too long to talk..like the Diabetes foundation etc..then I listen and feel guilty.Sometimes I do send $.
    But I have charities I believe in.Last year the ALS bucket challenge was overwhelmingly wonderful..
    There are less known tragic diseases.
    Sometimes you only hear about a disease when you are diagnosed with one..

    You wear your heart on your sleeve..and it's a lovely one Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sweet daughter looks so much like you; which is awesome. You are both beautiful.
    I am not a huge fan of Chicken wings but I do love Kentucky Grilled Chicken a lot.
    I can be opinionated too; but I try to engage unless I feel strongly about my own opinion. I use the adage a lot; let's agree to disagree at least I do this with one of my daughters and a daughter in law.
    I am very teary alot. I get touched easily. I am getting so i can actually bare by testimony without falling apart.
    I don't know how to say no either. I have had to due to some circumstances recently; but I always feel bad that I said no.
    Yes, in deed; I love life too with all it's twist and turns.
    Blessings wished for you and sending love and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sybil! We did not make it to the Temple, but you are right we did have plans. I have to agree to disagree with many people sometimes. Not wanting to offend anyone. I think you will have a lovely time on your cruise and I can't wait to see the photos! xoxo

    Thanks Susan. We get too many telemarketers here. It's beyond annoying! xoxo

    I am not surprised we share some traits Monique. ;-) Its the tone of mum's voice when she says it that makes me laugh. She thinks she is being so rude, and actually she is, but it's funny at the same time. You just have to be there I guess. We supported more charities when I worked. Now we can't really afford to support many at all. xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn, she, father and myself, we all look alike. LIke three peas in a pod I guess! I think testimonies shared with tears are the best ones. Love you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, thanks for the visit. You're an open book and a very sweet one. One thing I have learned to do over the years is say no. There are times I feel a little guilty, but I rarely go places I don't want. I do compromise, but I don't volunteer to do things that I don't care for. It's been an ongoing process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is something I am working on Carol! You are right when you say it's an ongoing process! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!