Thursday 12 February 2015

Five Things About Me . . .



 photo meandmomcropped.jpg

This is a picture of me when I was probably about 2 1/2 years old.  I think my mom was pregnant with my sister at the time.   We were living in Germany where  my father (who was in the Canadian Armed Forces) had been posted.

You know if it's Thursday . . .  it's another Five Things About Me, and that was the first thing about me . . .  I lived in Germany from the age of about one year to almost five.  We lived in 4 Wing, Baden Baden in the Black Forest.  I don't have a lot of memories of Germany at that age of course, but a few things do stick out in my mind.   We lived in Apartments and I can remember being stung by wasps very badly in the front hall of our area.  I was sitting in a cardboard box minding my own business playing and they stung me.   To this day I carry an irrational fear of them.  I go almost out of my mind when one gets into the house.

 photo FamilywomenCROPPED.jpg

This is a photograph of me just before we left to go over to Germany to live.  My Aunt Freda is holding me.  Next to her is my mom and next to her is my Great Grandmother Henrietta Smith Best.  We are standing on the front Veranda of my Grandmother's (Nina Best Woodworth) house in Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia.  I was a difficult baby.  My mother told me I had colic and I cried constantly.   She was a very nervous mother.  I took my very first flight on a plane, across the Atlantic, when I was only about a year and a half old.  We landed in Scotland to refuel before making the rest of our way to Germany.  So I have always been a World traveller, even at a young age!  Fact number two!


 photo crow.gif

I am terrified of Crows.  After Germany my father was posted to Gimli, Manitoba . . .  a small base situated very near to the town of Gimli on the shores of Lake Winnipeg.   There was a lad on the base who had two tame crows.   Those crows used to terrorize me.    They would chase me on my bicycle, swooping down over me as I rode it down the street.   I don't know if they were doing it on purpose or not, but I felt like they were.  My mother used to feed them.   They were always hanging around our house looking for a handout.

 photo cindyandIGimlimanitoba.jpg

This is my sister and I in our back yard behind the first house we lived in when we moved to Gimli.  I would be five and she was three years old. Boy I had knobby knees!  I always took a lot of responsability for my younger brother and sister.  I think the oldest child always does.  There was a set of railroad tracks which ran along just behind the wire fence you see at the back of us in this photograph.   There was a train which moved along there at a very slow pace a couple of times a week making deliveries to the base.  I can remember standing by the wire fence waving at the engineer and him waving back.

 photo 33151e29ebcb3e6350199a980f573ea3_zpshja2hyt0.jpg

The Book of Psalms is my favourite book of scripture.   I go there whenever I am feeling low or needing inspiration.   I always find what I am looking for.  It is filled with beautiful words and sentiments.

 photo psalm_zpscjqpspki.jpg

See what I mean?   I love that  . . .

And thats my five things about me this week.  I am off to the Dentist early this morning for a check up.   Wish me well.  I hate going to the Dentist.  Thing number six.  Bonus!!

A thought to carry with you through today . . .
 

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
Thou tellest my wanderings;
Put Thou my tears into Thy bottle;
Are they not in Thy Book?
~Psalm 56:8
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

I love that He collects and takes account of every tear we shed. 

 
 photo DSCN0340_zpskqkawczo.jpg 

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . . Sticky Walnut Buns.   So tasty!

Have a great day today!  Don't forget  . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too! 



10 comments:

  1. Good Morning Marie,

    I hope that your check up is simple and soon over. My dentist is a lovely young man but I do not like his works either. Nothing too special has happened today. i am very tired, more so than usual. This morning I took mum shopping and we bought her a lovely new bag for next time we travel. I bought some new china too which was silly because I really do have more than enough.

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day Suzan! I think the reason I hate the Dentist most of all is because I have VERY sensitive teeth. I spend most of the time in agony clutching the arms of the chair trying not to scream out loud. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey...I have been known to have tears rolling down my face...but I am thankful for my dentist because without him I would have no back teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has always said you lose a tooth for every child. I am glad that it is that way and not the other way around Suzan! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know of anyone that really likes going to the dentist, but they are necessary for sure. I too am the oldest of 3 in my family and I do remember having to look after them to point of being a mother hen and they didn't appreciate it at all. Snowing again here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think my siblings appreciated it either Pam, but they do now they are older! You must be getting really fed up with snow! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were so adorable! Your photos are familiar to me..I like that..
    I have always loved..Be still and know that I am God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Monique! I love these photos from my childhood. Be still and know is a favourite of mine as well. Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those two crows that your neighbor owned didn't sound too tame to me. Goodness me! That is frightening, especially for a child. The crow graphic cracked me up though. Hee! I always love learning more about you each week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were supposed to be tame Valerie. They knew I was afraid of them and used to pick on me. Loved ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!