Wednesday 27 December 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .


 

We had another green Christmas this year.  That seems to be the norm these days.  Green Christmas's.  Mom always hated a Green Christmas. She was under the superstition that a Green Christmas preceded a death in the family.  She was a very superstitious woman.  Were this truly the case, there would be none of us left. After quite a few years of Green Christmas's we would have all expired by now, but we are living proof that this superstition is just that . . .  a simple superstition with no basis in fact. Or at least none that I could find.

I did find a lot of other Christmas superstitions however.




The first person who opens the door during the early Christmas morning should shout "Welcome Father Christmas" to welcome Christmas. This also helps bad spirits who were trapped to escape.


Singing religious Christmas songs at the houses of different people was an ancient tradition. It was believed that if you turn them away without food or money or drink you are bound to suffer bad luck for rest of the year.


Never give shoes to any of your loved ones during Christmas. If you do that, then that particular person can walk out of your life in future.


Holly is bought during Christmas to protect the family from witches.


For a greener planet after winter, green branches are brought. The Christmas tree is the centerpiece because of that. 

 No one should work hard on something which is not mandatory during Christmas. 

 Cakes were usually eaten on the Christmas Eve in 19th Century. However, it was believed that it would bring bad luck if cut before the day dawned. A piece of the cake should also be preserved for the Christmas day as well. 

 A blowing wind can bring good luck during Christmas.


Christmas day dinner consists nine dishes. 

To bring good luck fish scales should be placed under the dinner plates. 

 After the twelfth night, all the decorations should be removed to bring good luck. 

 The dog who screams on the Christmas Eve will go mad before the end of the year. 

 To stay away from the rage of the impulsive forces most of the homes are well adorned on the Christmas Eve.


Alcohol consumptions are not allowed on the Christmas Eve. 

 Even though all the animals can speak on the Christmas Eve but it brings bad luck if anyone tests this superstition. 

 The household will be blessed if the first person who visits the home during Christmas is a black haired man. 

 The child born on Christmas Day will have a special fortune. 

 Snow on Christmas means Easter will be green. 

 You will have as many happy months in the coming year, as the number of houses you eat mince pies in during Christmastime. 

To have good health throughout the next year, eat an apple on Christmas Eve. 

 The gates of Heaven open at midnight on Christmas Eve. Those who die then go straight to Heaven (an Irish belief). 

 Christmas candles should be left burning until Christmas morning and should rest undisturbed from time of lighting until they are snuffed. 

 Singing Christmas carols at any time other than during the festive season is unlucky. 

 The yule log should be lit by a piece of the log used on the previous Christmas. Once that is done, no evil spirit can then enter into the house. The remains of the Yule log were also considered lucky, and would be a protection against lightning or fire.


 Uh oh ... if any of these are to be believed,
I think we are all in for it, lol




Had a great time with Eileen and Tim yesterday. I picked them up at noon and brought them back here.  We had a lovely few hours, ate some nice food, played a new card game, etc.  I took them back to theirs just as it was getting dark.  I no longer like to drive in the dark if I can help it.

Eileen is looking forward to staying with me at the end of February when Tim is gone to the Winter Games in Calgary.  I think he will be gone about a week, so we will have a week to enjoy each other's company.




Normally on Wednesday nights I meet my dad and Hazel for supper out.  This week the place we normally go to is closed.  They will reopen next week under new ownership. It will be interesting to see if much changes at that time.  I think tonight dad and Hazel are going for Chinese Food.  I won't be joining them.  The last time we had Chinese food there Cindy and I were not very impressed. The tables were filthy as were the table clothes.  Cindy had ordered a spring roll and when it came it was on the wrong plate. And it fell onto the dirty table when they tried to move it.  So she said she would like a new one, which I felt was quite reasonable considering the state of the table.

The waitress seemed quite miffed at the request, but took it and then returned a while later with a new one which looked suspiciously like the one which had been taken away.  It looked like they had just refried the same one. It was almost black and laden/dripping in grease. We opened it up and inside looked like nothing we had ever seen in a spring roll before.  It looked like burnt threads of plate scrapings.  Nasty.  It was not eaten. lol  

We decided then that we would not be going back there.  Dad and Hazel like it however.  

Some of the Chinese places further up the Valley are opening now for All You Can Eat buffets.  I am not sure if I will ever enjoy one of those again. The idea kind of horrifies me now.  The thought of all those people, with suspect hygiene habits all digging into the same food stations leaves me feeling a bit squeamish these days.  Funny how that goes.  It never used to. Maybe I am getting super-picky in my old age.

Life is too short to eat bad food.



This is the time of year that people start to make all kinds of resolutions for the new year.   I have done so in the past, but now I just resolve to keep trying to be the best person that I can be. To make an honest effort in all things.  To put my best foot forward always.  Nobody can ask any more of you than to do your best. My best is not the same as yours and so on.  We are all at different levels of progression.  There are some days that I will do better than others.  It only matters that we make an honest attempt.  To do anything less is cheating ourselves. At least that is my opinion, and I know opinions vary.

My son Anthony is supposed to be coming over from Fredericton tomorrow. I think he is bringing both boys with him.  My ex is turning 70 on the 4th. (In fact both of them are. I know,  but what can I say.  It is a freaky coincidence.)  Apparently there is some celebration planned for one of them this weekend and he is coming over for that, or at least is going to try to.  I hope the weather holds as I dread the thought of any of them travelling in bad weather conditions.

Mind you, Eileen had not heard anything about it yesterday, the planned celebration  . . .  so who knows what is happening.  In any case I will get things ready today just in case. 

Usually I wait until New Years Day to take down my Christmas things, but I think I may take them down today.  Just get everything down and give the place a good hoover through.  Wash the floors, etc. Have a general tidy up. 





I was supposed to be giving a talk in Church on Sunday, but I have asked to defer it until January. They are okay with that.  If Anthony is here it will be too hectic to think about that, and I haven't finished writing it anyways, and doubt I will have the time to now.  It is better to put it off. My brain is too tired at the moment and lacking in motivation to do a really good job.  Lets just get this week over with I think. 

It is raining today.  Our temperatures have been very mild for this time of year actually. It feels cold, but that is only the damp I think.  Damp has a way of getting into your bones that nothing else does. 

I am going to enjoy a dinner of leftover turkey tonight. Cindy gave me some to bring home with me. I didn't eat any yesterday as Eileen and Tim were here, but I am going to enjoy it tonight.  Turkey leftovers are my favorite thing.  Actually I could eat turkey every day and never get tired of it. I say that, but really  . . .  would I get tired of it if I was faced with it every day?  I probably would.  Lets just say then, that it is a favorite of mine and when I have the opportunity to have some, I truly relish it.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Ignorance is the curse of God;
knowledge is the wing° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
wherewith we fly to heaven.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~William Shakespeare° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •




I have nothing new to share today but I am sharing this delicious older recipe of mine for a Turkey Croque Monsieur.  This was one very delicious sandwich.  With layers of cranberry, cheese, turkey bechamel, etc.  A tasty knife and fork sandwich.


I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!  Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


3 comments:

  1. Interesting superstitions, fun to read. Glad you had a good time with Eileen and Tim, hoping your son does make it for a visit. I love turkey sandwiches and leftovers. It is raining today and very dreary. Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainy and dreary here, too. I sometimes wish we would get snow, just a little to pretty things up. Interesting superstitions about Christmas. Nice you had fun with Eileen and Tim yesterday. Hope Anthony and his boys arrive safely. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun times to come...always nice to have something to anticipate!! My daughter and her kids are to arrive in less than 24 hrs...and I am so far from being ready but then I have done my best so if all the cleaning and cooking etc isn't done...well, twill have to do. It has been now 16 months since they last came. Just a couple days is all...so we will make the best of it.
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!