Tuesday 19 December 2023

A Day Book . . .

 

 

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

I wish this was the scene outside my window, lol.  But it's not.  Actually though it could be if I lived not too far down the road.  The base of the North Mountain is at the end of my road, with the small foothills, such as they are. It is an area of stunning beauty.  This whole valley is and I don't think that we who live here appreciate it as much as we should.  It is no surprise to me why the early settlers wanted to build their homes and futures here.  This is a truly beautiful place. We are surely blessed to be here.


 

I AM THINKING ...

All is calm out there this morning but last night the weather was pretty crazy.  My power flickered quite a few times. Many lost their power completely. The wind was just a howling and the rain was lashing against the windows and walls.  I felt very blessed to be nestled here all safe, and warm, and sound in my wee little house.  But my heart and mind went to those who have not got a place to be safe and warn and sound in. How much more awful these storms must be for those who have no place to shelter. At times like those our churches should open their doors and allow people in even if only to sleep on the floors. At least they will be dry and warm and out of the elements.  That is not a permanent solution I know.  Our local governments need to do more.  Our communities need to do more.   I am not sure what the answer is, but the situation breaks my heart. There, but for the Grace of God go I.


 

I AM ALSO THINKING ...

I really enjoyed my day spent with Dad and Cindy yesterday. We had to take dad up the Valley to get his latest Covid Booster.  He was unable to get the one he was originally scheduled for because he had the shingles. The weather was windy and it was raining, but we were safe in our little car and my sister is a good driver.  I was able to return the things which I had bought at Michaels and the Pet Store that didn't work and get refunds and we were able to enjoy a lovely lunch together at the Big Stop, which is a gas station truck stop near the highway. 

The best part was just being together.  My father really loves that my sister and I get along so well.  I am sure when we were teenagers he felt like tearing his hair out at the arguing that would go on. You know  . . .  teenage girls.  We would go halves on an article of clothing and then we would argue about who got to wear it when. lol  We were not bad kids and we didn't really argue that much, but for him one argument was one too many.  Kids argue, but then they mature and hopefully become the best of friends.  I am so grateful that's how our story ended.  My sister really is my best friend.  I love her so much.  But it is much more than that. I respect and honor her.  She is the first person I want to talk to when I am sad or upset, or when I am happy, or whatever.  I just hope that I am not a burden to her.  Sometimes I fear that I might be.  But that is just my low self esteem talking I am sure.


 

HAPPY ...

Simple things start to look and feel extraordinary when you look at them with curiosity and wonder.  I am so happy that is the way my brain is wired.  I have always been curious about the seemingly ordinary world which surrounds us. I have always found wonder there.  Even as a young child, I was quietly observing, taking it all in and appreciating it. I am happy that is who I am.


 

HAVE YOU EVER ...

Thought about writing your memoirs?  I think about it all the time.  I don't get very far. I start but then life just gets in the way.  But maybe future generations will be interested in what we did, the things we thought, how we felt.  Perhaps in 2024 I will buy a special journal and start penning my memoires. That sounds like a plan. If I write a bit in it each day, by the end of the year it will be done.


 

CAN YOU BELIEVE ...

That we get to live on the same planet as baby goats, or fireflies, kittens, budding leaves, a sky filled with stars, or sunshine  . . .  clouds that take on different shapes . . .  people with all kinds of charms, faces, colors, cultures . . . flowers, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc. Those things alone are cause for celebration, and yet  . . .  there is so much more!


 
 


HOW WONDERFUL ...

How wonderful it is that we get to live in a world where so many people do simple things to make the world around them more beautiful.  Like painting flowers on plates, or crocheting threads to make pretty table coverings.  Painting paintings to dress our walls, penning words that inspire. Write poetry.  Sing songs.  Entertain. Write books.  Make movies. Create music.  Are we not just so very blessed to be surrounded by all these creative people!


 

MAKES ME SMILE ...

The curiosity of cats makes me smile. Yesterday mine were kept quite occupied with a couple of jingle bells tucked beneath an overturned cardboard box. One of the jingle bells was larger and had a string tied to it. The box had handles cut into the side. It kept them quite busy trying to reach into the box and get the treasures tucked beneath and of course they made all sorts of jingle noises. It was so much fun to watch them.

Nothing comes into my house without my two noticing that something new has entered their world. All must be investigated and smelled. Even my shoes after I have been outside.




CORNERS OF MY KINGDOM ...

Seeing all my Christmas cards makes me smile. It is nice to be remembered. It cheers my heart that people have thought enough of me to take a few minutes out of their time to write me a card to wish me a Happy Christmas and pop it into the post.  I love my little Santa's mail box that I have to hold them in and Moosey who is guarding the box, keeping everything safe. 




CRAVING ...

Cranberry Orange Snow Balls, from The Gold Lining Girl.  These look really yummy and I love the flavor combo!




I AM READING ...

Stitching a Life, by Mary Helen Fein

Many parts of Europe in the early 1900s were strongly anti-Semitic. Lithuania, in particular, was brutal towards its Jewish population. Helen (Hinde while she was living in Lithuania) was the oldest girl of a large Jewish family. To escape persecution, the family decided to immigrate to the United States. First, the father immigrated, then Helen, followed by her brother, Max, who at twelve risked being drafted by the Tsar’s army and enduring years of hardship and brutality only because he was Jewish. The remainder of the family came later. It was a hard life in Lithuania and a difficult and long journey to freedom in the United States, but the family was no stranger to hard work and their powerful sense of family saw them through difficult times. 

 Mary Helen Fein’s novel, Stitching a Life: An Immigration Story, is a work of creative nonfiction; part historical fiction, part memoir. The author has taken her grandmother’s story, someone she held in the highest regard, and created a compelling, exciting adventure from her life’s story. The story traces young Helen’s (Hinde) journey to the United States and the hard work that followed, along with the friendships and romance that developed along the way. The characters are well developed, the setting described with care, so the reader instantly feels a part of the story. There is plenty of dialogue to help carry the story along. Stitching a Life is a passionate retelling of one woman’s journey and a fitting tribute to Mary Helen Fein’s grandmother.





SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

Operation Christmas Drop, on Netflix.  A by-the-book political aid falls for a big-hearted Air Force pilot while looking to shut down his tropical base and its Airborne Christmas Tradition. Feel good film. Family fare.





IN THE KITCHEN ...

Baked Ham Slice.  A thick center cut ham slice, rubbed with dry mustard and brown sugar and baked in milk.  Tender, moist and really delicious. Very simple also!



 


TRACING THE GOODNESS  ...

Allowing yourself to find magic in the little things is one of the sweetest ways to bring joy into your life.  When you look for it, you will find it.  Faith, family, home, friends, pets . . . life is good.


 
 

A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.You don't need to return to 
past versions of yourself•。★★ 。* 。
to satisfy people who aren't ready° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
to see how you have grown.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~anon° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


And that is my daybook for this week. I hope that you all have beautiful days.  Blessings to you all and don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   


1 comment:

  1. The rain of yesterday turned to ice late in the evening followed by snow, which made a mess of the roads. At times like this I am glad we are retired and don't have to go out in weather like this. Lovely day yesterday for you, hope you Dad has no side effects from the booster. We are spoiled of choice for Christmas movies right now. Stay warm and cozy today. Hope our nasty weather doesn't effect you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!