Monday 4 December 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





A marshmallow world this morning. Quiet and pristine. Untouched by the day yet to come.  This is the snow I love the most. Untouched by the world.  White and soft and quiet. A confectioner's sugar coated world. So pretty . . . innocent.




Today's Calendar page.  Never Delay Joy!  I love it.  Very whimsical.  As well, it is a milestone for myself.  I have had a habit of not following through on things. Books I never finish reading.  Calendars I never finish looking at.  Things I never finish watching. Blankets I never finish crocheting.  This year has been an effort on my part to finish all that I start. I am doing well.  So many desk calendars in the past I have given up tearing off the pages halfway through the year.  I have done really well this year so far. I only have 27 more pages to go and I will have sealed the deal on this one.  

This year I have started and finished four blankets.  I have finished reading about 5 books.  I have kept up with the Don't Miss This Scripture study all the way though the New Testament. We are on the Book of Revelations now.  I have become a finisher of things.  That makes me happy.


 
(art by Inge Look)

Joy does not arrive with a fanfare,
on a red carpet strewn with the flowers of a perfect life.

Joy sneaks in, as you pour a cup of coffee,
watching the sun hit your favorite tree, just right.

And you usher joy away,
because you are not ready for it.
Your house is not as it must be,
for such a distinguished guest.

But joy cares nothing for your messy home,
or your bank-balance,
or your waistline, you see.

Joy is supposed to slither through the cracks of your imperfect life,
that’s how joy works.

You cannot invite her, you can only be ready when she appears.

And hug her with meaning,

because in this very moment,

joy chose you.

Donna Ashworth, Joy Chose You


I love this poem by Donna Ashworth. It spoke to my heart from the moment I first heard it. She is a British Poet.  I love her words.





Remembering the British Tradition of Pantomime's in December. Our church Ward used to put one on every second year or so. They were always such fun.  A fairy tale gone wrong.  These were three fairies from the last one that they did before Covid. Oh how I miss my UK church family.

I am starting to love my Canadian church family however. I moved out of my comfort zone on Saturday and went to the Relief Society Christmas thing at the chapel with my friend Glenna.  That was a big step for me.  I know I may not seem like it on here, but I am actually a very shy person and larger groups make me feel very uncomfortable. I prefer small groups and one on one. I have always been this way.




Love this quote from the President of my church. 




Christmas stamps waiting to go on Christmas cards. Will I get them done today?  I sure hope so!  I at least hope that I can get them started.  Every year I think I am going to get these things done early and every year I don't! At least I am consistent! haha





Sunday family dinners at my sisters.  Actually I ate there twice this weekend, on Saturday and on Sunday.  On Saturday she cooked up the new Turkey Burgers from the Presidents Choice and she invited me over for one of those.  It was delicious and yesterday I went over for our regular Sunday dinner. She cooked Cabbage Rolls and some of our homemade sausages.  Both were excellent! The best part of course is being with family. I love them all so much.


 

Facetimes with family and friends. I love that we can stay connected in this way.  Its all very good. We are so blessed to live in an age when these things are possible. Oh how my grandparents would marvel at the opportunities we have in these modern times to talk face to face even though we are miles apart and in real time too!


 


Christmas baking, although to be honest I do not do near as much of it as I used to do back in the day.  This is a very pretty box of cookies.  I love the squirrels.

My life is filled with a multitude of pleasures and so much joy.  Faith, family, friends.  Cats.  A comfortable home.  I have much to be thankful for.  May I always recognize and appreciate the many blessings in my life.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*We shall draw from •。★★ 。* 。
the heart of suffering itself,
the means of inspiration
and survival.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Winston Churchill° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Easy Peppery Jelly Cheese Bites.  A savory version of thumbprint cookies.  Delicious and simple to make. Four ingredients, 10 minutes of bake time.


I hope you have a lovely day and that your week ahead is filled with plenty of small and wonderful things which bring you joy.  Don't forget! 


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   


7 comments:

  1. We had our first pretty snowfall too..One of my fams came for dinner last night..no guests compare so I hear you re family:) Love the squirrel;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that squirrel is just the cutest thing! Your place is gorgeous in the snow. Like a Christmas Card! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Such pretty looking snow you have. We had rain all day yesterday, and just a bit to the north of us it was ice rain and snow. We don't plan to go out today, and I hope to get all my Christmas cards finished ready for mail on Thursday when we will go into town. Enjoy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Marie! Your snow looks so beautiful…and I love, love the poem on joy! Thanks for sharing…I wish you a joyful week! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you didn't lose power in the storm, Marie. How much snow did you get? Hope you had a nice cozy day at home. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the poem on joy! I'm so happy for the way things have turned out in your life, Marie and you are a blessing to so many people. Elaine R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think crocheting 4 blankets in a year is quite an accomplishment, when you consider all your activities plus the cooking and all!!
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!