Monday 18 December 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




Sunday dinners with Cindy, Dad and Dan.  I am so grateful for my family and these times we get to spend together. I know many people my age who are completely alone. What a great blessing it is to have these special people in my life who are willing to include me in their lives and to spend time with me.  I try always to be considerate and to not wear out my welcome!  I don't want to intrude too much on their time together but I am grateful to be included.  Cindy is a giver and does a lot for everyone.  That is why I like to give back to her. 

My brother is always talking about Love Language.  I think my sister and I both have the love language of giving. You can't outgive a giver.  lol It is impossible.  Its okay. It makes us both happy.



I bought myself a dress for Christmas. It is much nicer in real life than it looks in this photograph. I had it hung on my closet door and there is a mirror behind it.  It is a really pretty red, although on here it looks orange. I wore it to church yesterday and got some nice compliments on it.  It is made from a type of jersey velour and I love it. It is like wearing a warm hug.  I got it from Gudrun Sjode.  I love it. I would have liked the blue one better, but they were all sold out.




I got the sweetest gift from a friend.  A pretty caroler tree ornament.  Royal Doulton. I am afraid to put it on my tree because of the cats. They have an inordinate interest in anything new which comes in the house and on the tree in general.  I have placed it on one of the shelves of my bookcase where it is safer.  Every time I look at it my heart fills with love for this friend.  I have been richly blessed in my life and I know it.




How wonderful it is to be remembered at this special time of year.  I love getting cards and each one holds a special place in my heart, because each sender holds a special place in my heart.  I look at each one every day and remember the sender with a sweet prayer of thankfulness. Again, I am truly blessed.




I gave myself a card for Christmas. A Nativity Card. I love it.  I have my mother's Avon Nativity but I am afraid to put it up for fear it will be broken.  So I have bought this Nativity Card which is a sweet reminder to me of the reason for the season.  Not that I need reminding.  Jesus has always been the reason for the Season for me. That is just how I roll.




This sweet shelf holds a mix of wonderful feelings and the joys of the season for me. Charlis Brown's Christmas Tree. As a child I enjoyed watching A Charlie Brown Christmas every year and I watch it again each year as an adult. A reminder to me of all the things that are important in life and how much joy can be found in simple things and remembrances.  Sweet cards from much beloved friends.  Little Christmas hugs from people who care.  A sweet angel gifted to me by Dan my first Christmas back here in Canada. It is only last year that I discovered it lit up.  Susan Branch Santa Christmas book, another gift from a dear, dear friend and such a beautiful glimpse into the Christmas's of my childhood.  Many of her childhood remembrances are my own.




Saturday evening there was a knock on  my door and when I went to answer it, there was some lovely young women from the Local Youth of the Valley group and they had made Christmas Cookies to give out.  How wonderful it was to see some sweet young people who are thinking about others at this time of year with gestures of kindness such as this.



I love this. It makes my heart smile.  Richard Scary art I believe. I used to read his books to my children.





I love this too.  A reminder of a simpler time.  May we all be focused more on the simple things in life.



For many people this can be a very sad and lonely time of year. I have my moments.  I think everyone might. Thankfully I am able to shake them off and these special kindnesses from others help me to do that.  This can be a time of year where it is very difficult to keep our focus off our losses and on our blessings. I do struggle to do so, and sometimes on a daily basis.  Thankfully I am surrounded by loving and caring people who help me to do just that.


Others are not so fortunate.  In this holiday season may we be cognizant of those around us who might not be so blessed and who are alone and who may not be feeling very "Merry" at this time of year. Now is the time to remember them with a phone call, a message, a card, something you have baked, a few minutes of your time. Just any loving gesture which will help them to feel not so alone and that somebody cares.  A small and wonderful thing that will bless both of your lives. As Martha would say, "Its a good thing."

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Kindness is like snow•。★★ 。* 。
It beautifies everything it covers.
~Kahlil Gibran•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★





In The English Kitchen today . . .   Gingerbread Man Mince Pies.  So cute.  So delicious. So easy to make.

I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things and blessings. Be happy, be blessed, don't forget! 


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   

6 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful dress , Marie, especially for celebrating at this time of year. My wardrobe is all blues-greens-purples but I love getting a very occasional red item, especially red-on-red (I have a scarf very similar to this fabric). Red just pops with excitement. Years ago a friend said when she was feeling down or having a rough day, she would put on her brightest outfit. She was right - it helps cheer me up and puts me in a better mood. The gingerbread mincemeat men look delicious! I'm going to make them.. Kat from NE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable gingerbread men mince pies, bet they taste delicious. Yes we are so fortunate to have family, especially at this time of year. Today it is pouring of rain, started yesterday afternoon, all night and now most of the day. Your new dress is very festive. Have a wonderful Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new dress, Marie. It's very Christmasy. We're decorating the tree today. Stay happy. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the loveliness today!!
    If you bought the beautiful Christmas card from Amazon, could you provide a link? This would be perfect for my Aunt.
    Blessings and Love in this most wonderful season
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that Cindy and Dan, what treasures they are to you…and I know, for sure, YOU are to them also! You’re very fortunate to have your dad in your life too. Love the dress…I think red looks great on everyone…and I think a spot of red looks great in every room of the house….but that’s just me…ha. The card, that lovely ornament, the angel, the little gingerbread guys….what a Christmastime you will enjoy! Happy new week…it sure is dark early these days!
    Stay well.xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!