Wednesday 8 March 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 


I think it is just possible that March has come in like a Lion, and so with any luck we will have the lamb to look forward to at the end of the month! I think we have gotten more snow in March than we have had all winter.

I do like to look at it before it gets all dirty. It is so pristine and white. Have you ever noticed how quiet it gets after a snow fall?  

There's actually a scientific reason behind the calming silence, with the characteristics of snow playing a big role in how sound can travel. When light, fluffy snow accumulates on the ground, it acts as a sound absorber, dampening sound waves much like commercial sound absorbing products. 


 What is the silence of snow called? The Japanese have a word for the sound of snow falling. It's shinshin (pronounced sheensheen). The word "shin" means silence or, to be more precise, the absence of sound where there was sound before.  I love it! The Japanese have some pretty cool names for most things!



 


This was Nutmeg just a few minutes ago playing with his slinky snake underneath the table.  The snake is just an orange blur there in the corner of the picture.  I love to watch my cats at play. They are a real source of joy for me.





This was Cinnamon just a few minutes later come to investigate what all the ruckus was about.  She is pretty quick on her feet. Much quicker than he is, but then she is half the size and weight, so she can move faster. (I know how that feels. To be like Nutmeg that is. Much slower on the uptake.)

She likes to help me make my bed, whilst he is usually sawing a few logs beneath the bed while I am making it.  It doesn't matter what I am doing in the house, she is usually trotting along side of me, like a small puppy. I love it.   Well, most of the time anyways! 






My sister stopped by on her way home from work yesterday. She had something for me. She found one of mom's old embroidery hoops and it still had some of mom's embroidery in it.  When I stuck my nose in the bag I could smell mom. It was like getting a warm hug from her and brought tears to my eyes. I miss her so much. I was laying in bed last night thinking about it and I cried again.

How blessed am I to have a sister who is so kind to me, and how wonderful it was to have that small touch of mom sweep across my soul like it did. 



Tis only we who grieve 
They do not leave 
They are not gone 
They look upon us still 
They walk among the valleys now 
They stride upon the hill 
Their smile is in the summer sky 
Their grace is in the breeze 
Their memories whisper in the grass 
Their calm is in the trees 
Their light is in the winter snow 
Their tears are in the rain 
Their merriment runs in the brook 
Their laughter in the lane


 


I plan on doing a bit of special baking for Saint Patrick's Day today. That's one thing about running a food blog, you always have to be a week or so, or sometimes even more, in advance of what's coming up.  Turkey's a week before Thanksgiving or Christmas, etc.  You always have to be thinking ahead.

I actually started the food blog about the same time that I was made redundant from my job at the Manor. Before then I used to post all of my recipes on here.  Little did I know how important it would become to me, or that one day I would be able to support myself with it.  I am so grateful for that. Without it I would not be able to live on my own.

It pays my rent. Thank goodness. I try not to think about how I would get along without it. I just pray every day that I am able to keep it up, and in the meantime I sock as much away as I can for a rainy day, because really one never knows when the river will dry up.

I put a lot of faith in my God and so far, He has never truly let  me down.  I trust in Him and I know all will be okay, even if sometimes things feel a bit scary.  All I need is enough to get by on.




I thought you might enjoy seeing my new toaster in place.  I used it once so far.  The first night. It did have a plastic chemical smell, but hopefully that will go off soon. 

I hate that it was made in China.  I can remember about 25 years ago, I had it in my mind that I did not want to purchase anything that was made in China.  That became an increasingly difficult choice to follow as time went by and today it is an impossible choice to follow.  Almost everything is made in China. 

We have sold our souls for the price of cheaply manufactured goods.  Or at least our businesses have.  Elizabeth sent me an article to read a week or so ago and it was a real eye opener, about who owned so called "American" businesses. In reality almost none of them were owned by American companies.  Most were owned and run by the Chinese.  I fear we have made a huge mistake. Huge.  The tiger now has 'Us" by the tail.






I went grocery shopping yesterday morning. I really don't know how families are making ends meet these days. The cost of everything has gone up exponentially. This cost me $215.86 to be exact. Not shown are the toilet paper, diet cook and water that was still in the boot of the car.  You can read about all that I bought here. Just in case you are interested.

I am increasingly grateful for my store cupboard of food.  Even so I did not buy the flour that  I should have bought. I am going out with my sister this morning and I will pick up some flour then. Maybe Walmart will have the big bags on sale.  We will see.

I picked up a Mango and that is what I had for my lunch yesterday. It was SOOOO good!  I had not had a mango since before I returned to Canada. I enjoyed it so much. I might pick up another one today! We shall see!

Mango. That would be a great name for an orange cat. No. I am not getting another one.  




This is one of my cousin's latest kittens. Peanut.  She is so cute.  But no, I am not getting another one. I have lost count now of how many cats my cousin has. Way too many, lol.



 


 
Do you know what these are?  Snap Dragon Seed Pods. They look quite menacing don't they.  I love Snap Dragons. They are one of my favorite cottage flowers.  I also love Holly Hocks. Larkspurs. Delphiniums. Pinks . . .  I love them all.

I need to figure out what I am going to do with my front garden and I need to figure it out soon. There are no longer any missionaries here so I have nobody to help me sort it out. My son was thinking he might come over in the Spring to help, but I don't think that is really going to happen now.  It is a huge conundrum. I hate for it to look a mess.



 


I have not seen any robins yet, but that is not to say that there are not some around. They are usually the harbingers of spring here in Canada. In the UK it was the bumble bee.  When you saw those you knew Spring was really in the offing. 

I did have a flock of starlings in my front yard last week and I am hearing a bit more birdsong in the air.





My yarn arrived yesterday and I have made a start on a new blanket. I love the colors.  I don't think you can ever have too many blankets. They add color to your life and help to keep you warm on those cold winter days.  The cats have been really well behaved so far when I am crocheting, that is . . .  until last night. Cinnamon has taken a renewed interest in it. I did not get very far before I had to put it all away.

And with that I will leave you with a thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Courage looks you straight in the eye.
She is not impressed with power trippers,
and she knows first aid.
Courage is not afraid to weep, and she is
not afraid to pray, even when she is not
sure who she is praying to. When she walks
it is clear she has made the journey from
loneliness to solitude. The people who told me
she was stern, were not lying; they just 
forgot to mention that she was kind.
~J. Ruth •。★★ 。* 。





Nothing really new in the kitchen today, but I am sharing a deliciously hearty White Bean & Ham Soup.  I also shared my grocery shop, of which the link is above.


I hope you have a beautiful day.  I am going out with my sister this morning and then to supper with my father tonight.  Whatever you get up to, stay safe and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thoughtful gift from your sister, now you mom will always be with you when stitching. I have a couple of my mom's crochet hooks that I treasure, silver metal not plastic like the ones you get today. Love the look of the new toaster, so hard to find things not made there anymore. Lovely yarn to work with. Perhaps pots for your front, so you can manage them. Off to read your other blog. Enjoy the day with your sister and then your dad and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rd attempt today to comment...just so you know.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!