Monday 20 March 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 


Happy first day of spring! The snow is almost gone from my front garden. There are still a few vestiges hanging on. We live on the dark side of the street and the sunlight doesn't really hit the front yard until later in the day.  Across the street from us, it is gone altogether. 

I will probably need to hire someone this year to come and clear out my garden. It is looking exceptionally messy. Last year the young Missionaries came and cleaned it up for me.  There are no young missionaries here any longer and we will soon also be losing the older ones.  

I am not going to put herbs in my window boxes this year. I will probably just plant flowers in them. I didn't think that the herbs did very well in them last year.


 


I found this, this morning and thought it very fitting. It is hard to believe that we are in the last third of the month of March already.  This month is passing us by very quickly. There is so much to look forward to.  So much. I am happy to see winter on the wane.


 


I didn't make it to church yesterday. Glenna called me Saturday night to say she wasn't going as she wasn't feeling well. I usually get a drive in with her.  

The other day when Cindy and I were out to the eye doctors we hit a pothole on the way home, and then Dan had to put air in my tire.  I was a bit nervous about driving my car all the way to the chapel and back without having my tire properly checked out, so I decided to stay put.  

Cindy called me later in the morning yesterday and said did I want to go with them up to mom's grave and I said sure.  So off we went.  

We didn't get there, however. The road which goes through the cemetery and up the hill to where mom is buried was still very snow covered, and we couldn't get up the hill, so we just backed down and came home again.  But we tried, and that's what counts. It won't be long before we can though.  The snow just has to melt.





Do you remember the old days when people always used to go out together as a family for a Sunday Drive? We would all put on our Sunday best and hop into the car to go for a drive, perhaps to visit some relatives.  Maybe stop for an ice cream cone. Those were the days!!

Usually we would go to visit my mother's sister, Aunt Freda.  We children would have a good time visiting with our cousins and mom would enjoy some quality time with her sister.  Dad and my Uncle Harold would enjoy a few laughs.  

As children we loved going to my Aunt Freda's because there were no rules.  If you wanted to ride the mattresses down the stairs nobody cared. Funny that.  As I got older I would enjoy sitting with mom and my Aunt more than playing with the cousins.  

I was thinking about that yesterday when we were driving in the car. We drove right by my Aunt and Uncle's old house. It is largely a derelict property now. Half of the house is falling in on itself.  Sad to see really . . . but I am grateful for the happy memories of family times that were built there.




Yesterday while in the car we started talking about which three types of music would we want to take with us if we were stranded on a Desert Island. That conversation started when I mentioned this radio show that I used to listen to in the UK on the BBC called Desert Island Discs.  People would write in about the music or a song that they would like with them on a Desert Island and the host would play the song and talk about its history.

I said I would take the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  

My sister made me laugh. She said she would feel like she was in hell if she was stranded on a Desert Island with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, haha

I was on my own with that choice! I am grateful for family which fills my life with laughter.



My newest crochet blanket is shaping up. I had to put it away for a few days as Cinnamon was taking an inordinate amount of interest in it, but I brought it out again this weekend and have been able to work on it again.  Its based on this blanket pattern I bought on Etsy.  I loved the colors.   I don't think you can ever have too many blankets to keep your warm.




I had a lovely letter from my friend Tatiana and took the opportunity to write one back to her. I know that we can instantly e-mail people these days, but there is something really special about getting a snail mail letter.  It cheered me up to no end to get her letter.  I think we need to write more letters.  Surprise people!  Its good for the heart, both to send and to receive!





Sunday night supper at Cindy's.  I am so grateful for these times we get to spend together as a family.  Cindy, Dan, dad and myself. Its so nice.  Yesterday she had cooked spareribs in her Instant pot, and we also had mac and cheese, homemade beans, and oven roasted tender stem broccoli. It was so good, but the best part, of course, was being together with family. 


Nutmeg


My little companions who keep me daily company. They mean so much to me. I am so grateful that my cousin gave them to me. They have really helped to make my house a home. I cannot imagine a life without them in it now. 



I love my weekly scripture studies with Emily Belle Freeman and David Butler on Don't Miss This. I watch them on YouTube. This year they have broken each weekly lesson down into five segments with separate topics which makes it a lot easier for me to follow.  None of the segments are longer than 10 to 15 minutes.  I love the way they expound on the scriptures and I really enjoy these few minutes I get to spend with them each day studying God's word.  It is much more realistic and very doable for me. I am not a natural scriptorian and the easy way they approach the scriptures works well for me.  I get a lot out of the studies.


 



My brother and his family are feeling quite a bit better, so that is good. My brother even thought he might be starting to get his taste back a bit.  He has been testing it each day to see if it is returning by eating hot and spicy things.  He said if nothing else it was clearing his nostrils, lol.  He has also lost several pounds in weight so he was pleased about that.

I am grateful that thus far they all appear to be doing very well. It did not take long for that dang virus to make its way through the whole family. 


My life is truly filled to overflowing with goodness and love.  Oh, sure, its not perfect.  We all have our moments. But it is perfect for me. It is a happy blend of the very good, the not quite so good and sometimes the sad.  But I can tell you that the very good always far outweighs any bad. And that is as it should be. A happy balance of the three.

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*You will do foolish things
but to them with enthusiasm.
~Colette•。★★ 。* 。





In The English Kitchen today . . .  Crunchy Tuna Salad Baguette.  This was really delicious!

I hope you have a week filled with abundance.  Be happy and be blessed. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

8 comments:

  1. Your blankie is charming:) I cannot remember my father bringing me for drives..I remember our neighbour Uncle Bud doing so though to Elmer's dairy for a cone:)Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! My father did not take us for many drives. He was usually busy at the weekend with his part time job, but when we did go it was to my Aunt's. You have a great week also! xoxo

      Delete
  2. A busy weekend for you even if you didn't make it to chapel. A sunny start to the week, spring arrives later this afternoon, glad to see the end of winter, just need the snow to melt away now. It will, but not fast enough for me. I'm off to have knee xrays this morning, been having trouble, and my orthopaedic surgeon requires xrays before seeing him. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all goes well with your xrays and then your appointment with your orthopaedic surgeon Linda! Bad knees are no picnic! You have a great day also! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your brother and family are recovering...obviously they had a lesser version of the original and that is very good and they should have hope for a good recovery. As to music, I do think the Mormon choir does some exceptional music and have often listened to them. Glad you had a nice time with your kin...how lovely to sit and eat together, really nothing quite like that. Our daughter came up and had dinner with us last night. It was good.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could listen to them all the time and often do Elizabeth. They don't just sing hymns and Christmas music! I think they sing everything beautifully. How lovely that you had dinner with your daughter! That makes me happy to read! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Lovely blanket pattern, fun to see those ‘Mayberry’ pictures, and yes….Sunday drives, visiting with aunts and uncles, the best memories !!! Spring has sprung, enjoy! xo, V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is not an episode of the Andy Griffith show that I do not enjoy V! It is an all time favorite here! I hope you enjoy spring also! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!