Monday 27 March 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



 
(source


Thinking about life this morning and about the word "enough."  I am so blessed to be able to say I have "enough."  The dictionary defines the word enough as meaning adequate for the want or need; sufficient for the purpose or to satisfy desire.  I have always had enough.  Looking through my life I have never truly been without enough. Oh, there have been plenty of times I have been in "want"  but "wants" and "needs" are two very different things, and knowing and embracing the difference between the two can make all the difference between having a life filled with contentment or not.  I am so blessed to be able to know the joy and contentment in having and being grateful for having enough.




A simple breakfast of toast and jam.  The toast, leftover cheese bread from my sister and my visit to the farm market the other day. Toasted and spread with butter, real butter and then a schmear of Bonne Maman Peach and Mango jam. This is so, so, so . . .  good.  Its simple and satisfying and delicious. The bread was baked by the Dempsey Orchards and it is delicious all on its own. Cindy and I split a loaf as I would not be able to use a full loaf on its own and I have limited space in the freezer.  Its such a nice cheese bread, not too cheesy, the flavor is subtle enough not to slap you in the face.  The toasty warmth of that bread, the butter melting into its toasted surface, that sweet schmear of a jam that is simple and at the same time exotic. Breakfast of the gods . . . 


 


The pages of a new week to write upon. What will it bring to my table?  Its all a mystery. Good things I hope and if not good, then the strength to deal with what comes, I pray.  New day, new week, new month on the horizon. They will never come again. Lets make them the best that we can and hope for the best.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." ~Matthew 6:34

Dealing with unpleasant matters should be left until it becomes necessary to deal with them.


 

Yesterday was our Fast and Testimony meeting at church. Generally speaking the first Sunday of the month is giving over to fasting and then bearing your testimonies.  Money which would normally be spent on two meals is given as a "fast offering" to be used for the welfare of people who are in need.  Because next Sunday is our bi-annual General Conference they held the Fast and Testimony meeting yesterday. This month it was done differently, members were asked to mention their favorite hymn and give a testimony why it was their favorite and then as a congregation we sang the first verse of each hymn. It was the second time we have done this and I really enjoyed it. 



 


Our Savior's love
Shines like the sun with perfect light
As from above
It breaks through clouds of strife
Lighting our way
It leads us back into his sight
Where we may stay
To share eternal life.

I love all of the hymns.  All have brought me comfort and even joy at one time or another. I would have a very hard time to pick just one, let alone one verse.  They speak to my heart wherever it is at any given time. I do love this one which speaks of the love of the Savior for each of us and the ability of that love to give us light and direct our paths to safety no matter what is going on or however dark our lives may seem at times.





I started a new study by David Butler and Emily Freeman this past week. It is called Chosen - Living a God Led Life.  I am really enjoying it. There is a downloadable workbook, and of course videos to inspire and guide. I really love their way of teaching and leaning into learning and living the scriptures.

A CHOSEN LIFE 
One of the things we hope you walk away with from this course is an understanding of what it looks like to live a God-led life. What does it mean to be chosen? Do you know your place in God’s plan? What do the scriptures teach about understanding the language of the Spirit and harnessing the power? Is there a more excellent way to live? We address all of these questions and more in this course, with a hope to lead you into a deeper relationship with God.

There are six chapters and  teaching videos along with the work book.  I am really enjoying it and getting a lot out of it.


 

It is the simple things in which I find the most joy.  Being able to call my father each morning and make sure he is okay, the call to him at the end of the day to say goodnight. Daily conversations on the phone or computer as well as times spent in person with my sister, in the car, sharing, laughing and sometimes even crying together.  Facetimes with my sons and brother. 

The love of family, this is my most precious treasure and works along side my faith to help to keep my ship afloat.  

A home filled with comforts and joy. Two furry companions which bring further light into my life.  Scratching soft bellies, cuddles and snuggles. Watching them at play.  Having a life filled with purpose and meaning . . . reasons for being  . . .  something to wake up for every morning. Peace and contentment.  My life is very full and very good.

I am blessed.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
  ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
 ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.
~Mother Theresa•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Easy Tomato Pasta.  A real penny pinching store cupboard favorite pasta dish. Simple and delicious!  Sized just for two.

I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance, joy, love and blessings.  Along the way don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

6 comments:

  1. Simple things are what make life enjoyable. Sometimes I think the world over thinks things these days. Looks like a wet week for us. Have a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you have a great Monday also Linda! I am all for the simple life! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your toast and jam sounds delicious. Gotta have real butter! Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine. Its real butter all the way with me! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Pasta...I too love it...rather a curse being diabetic as I have to limit having it...otherwise I would most every day!! I do use alternate ones due to having to be gluten free, so at least they are healthier.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a double edged sword when you are a diabetic Elizabeth, but you can add other things to it to take away some of the sting! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!